U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 06:33 AM

113 posts, read 227,661 times

Advertisements

(Matthew 28:19-20)

“Great Commission”:

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Jesus gave this command to the Apostles shortly before He ascended into Heaven, and it essentially outlines what Jesus expected the Apostles, and those who followed them, to do in His absence.

I came across this thread in the Christian site , also a thread on why Mormons feel the need to convert others. A ex Mormon replyed it was about money and power or maybe it has to do with what you read up above. Its discouraging
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 07:44 AM

11,561 posts, read 11,185,610 times
There are many ways to witness to others; one is to quote Bible scripture and another is to set a good example. Each recipient is differnt; some will respond to the scripture and others are drawn by those who set a good example.

I set a good example.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:59 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,615,733 times
Default The great commission

John 3: 1There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
4Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?
5Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
To be born of water and of the spirit means to be born of the Gospel only. (Water), by the action of God the Holy Spirit. John 3:8,
6That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
9Nicodemus answered and said unto him, How can these things be?
10Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?
11Verily, verily, I say unto thee, We speak that we do know, and testify that we have seen; and ye receive not our witness.
12If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?
13And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 10-12-2008 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: Adjusting letters

Old 10-12-2008, 09:16 PM

1,393 posts, read 1,615,733 times
Default the great commission

Hello in greetings to you. I am a member to this forum. I like to share something I discovered from many months ago. It is how to find key answers in the Scriptures; it has to do with the great commission. You need to get a key. by using this study you will find your own key. I hope this will help you.

Sincerely TheWordIsOne

The Key to open the Mystery’ of the Bible

We read in these verses a Mystery
Romans 16: 25-27Now to him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secretsince the world began. But now is made manifest and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith;
Deuteronomy 29: 29The secret things belong unto the Lord our God; but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.
Key word Mystery! Total number of the word mystery is 18; you will find the Gospel massage in the Books of the Bible and in the chapter. You must put the verses together to find your answers. You can also use a Strong’s Concordance to key words. This is the basic way you can open up the Mystery of the Bible. Once you open a Mystery, give thanks to Christ. You will fine something wonderful every day in Bible Study. First Timothy. 2: First Corinthians 2: First Corinthians 4: First Corinthians 15: Ephesians1: Ephesians 3: Ephesians 5: Ephesians 6: Colossians 1: Colossians 2: Colossians 4: Second Thessalonians 2: First Timothy 3: Revelation 1: Revelation 10: Revelation 17:
We read In Matthew.6:33But seek ye first the righteousness of God, and his kingdom; and all these things shall be added unto you. You need to seek the character of the unknown God.Key Word: Righteousness. Total number of word righteousness is 300.This is called, Scripture with scripture or spiritual things with spiritual things. You can also use a Strong’s Concordance to key words. This is the basic way.
We read in First Corinthians 15:50-57Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption. Behold I show you a mystery; we shall not all sleep.(Jesus will awake us from our sleep, from this world, to prepare us for WHAT?) We read in Daniel 12: 1 - 8. At that time, (The end of time) Michael, (God) shall stand up, the great prince who stand watch over the sons of your people; and there shall be a time of trouble. Even to the time.
And at that time your people shall be delivered, Every one who is found written in the book.Daniel and many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake.
This is a massage I got from the Bible, about the word Mystery.
Remember in the passage where Jesus tells the apostles that he must go to the Father and that he will send us the helper which is the Holy Spirit. Here is a verse that may help to understand what’s going on.
John 14: 16 - 25 - 30 16And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
17Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
18I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
19Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
20At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to you.

25These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.
26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. 27Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
28Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
29And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. 30Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

Key Word
The Hope of Man Righteousness of God
Key Word: Love 468 Key Word: Jehovah 4
Key Word: Hope 142 .Key Word: Jehovah God 2
Key Word: Peace 420 Key Word: Jesus Christ 261
Key Word: Light 292 .Key Word: Jesus1028
Key Word: The Righteous 238 Key Word: Christ 574
Key Word: The Poor 213 . Key Word: LORD 6901
Key Word: Happiness 33 Key Word: Righteousness 300
Key Word: Help 173 Key Word: Justification 5
Key Word: Humanity 3821 Key Word: The Law 560
Key Word: Salvation 167 Key Word: Love of God 99
Total number of words Key Word: Justice 93
Total number of words
The Wickedness of Man & Enemies
Key Word: Flesh 377
Key Word: Grave Image 48
Key Word: Idols 137
Key Word: Satan 51
Key Word: Unclean 161
Key Word: Devils 110
Key Word: Demon 110
Key Word: Fallen Angel 10
Key Word: Cursed 185
Key Word: Second Death 4
Key Word: Lake of Fire 5
Key Word: Hell 54
Key Word: Death 383
Key Word: Wars 252
Key Word: Wrath 251
Key Word: Anger 279
Key Word: Sinner 721
Key Word: Sin 743
Key Word: Wickedness 353
Key Word: Darkness 143
Key Word: Transgression 98
Key Word: Evildoers 15
Key Word: Enemy 380
Total number of words

Last edited by TheWordIsOne; 10-12-2008 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Adjusting letters

Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 AM

3,031 posts, read 8,579,036 times
FYI, as an agnostic/borderline atheist, the VERY BEST WAY you can "witness" to me is by being a good example, and by keeping your mouth shut about your religion unless asked. For one of us, pretty much all you do when you try to proselytize to us is annoy us.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:02 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,782,002 times
The way I see it:
-there are people who don't understand that spousing verses at any disbeliever is irritating.
-there are people who do understand spousing verses at any disbeliever is irritating but do so anyways because it's easier than setting an example or because they shift the blame to us for not believing blindly.
-and there are people who know that there are better ways to convert people than simply preaching at the masses. They know they don't have the charisma of Jesus so they help out individuals as opposed to saying prerecorded messages to nameless faces

Old 10-13-2008, 05:58 AM

6,712 posts, read 12,977,022 times
I was once on a very long road trip and I stopped at a truck stop in Alabama to use the bathroom. While I was in there, a gentleman of about forty with a nice flowering mullet, a few missing teeth, and a cut-off flannel shirt thought it'd be nice to strike up a conversation with me. But, he wasn't concerned about Jesus. He was more interested in me. Needless to say, I felt a little creeped out as I don't envisage a truck stop urinal as the most romantic place to try and court me for sexual adventures. I don't know, perhaps had he waited for me to leave the bathroom or perhaps had he approached me in just the right way, perhaps even laid a rose on the urinal I was using I might have seen things differently. I highly doubt it, but his approach was way off the mark - especially on something I was by no means interested in at all.

And so I fled the bathroom wondering if I had walked through another dimension of space and time at this backwoods truck stop. Several hours later, it was time for another bathroom break and still being cautious of my prior experience, I wanted to go to a place that was a little more populated. So, we found one of those really big gas stations that look almost like an amusement park and we stopped to fill up and use the facilities. As I was filling up, a man walked up to me and asked if I was ready for my eternal judgment or if I knew I was going to burn in hell.

I don't know... Perhaps had he approached it just right; maybe had he laid a rose on the gas pump or used a better pick up line I might have stopped to listen to him. But, in the end, I can't say either of these encounters made me feel any less freaked out and/or interested in the person's agenda. I suppose what I'm getting at is if you're trying to approach me and make me even slightly interested in what you have to offer than it's going to take a lot more than a cheesy pick up line and a forthright, boisterous violation of my personal space.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:33 AM

8,568 posts, read 15,625,278 times
Most people completely miss the fact that I'm witnessing to them.
But that's okay since I'm not sure whether I'm religious or an atheist and I don't really care to find out anywayz.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 AM

113 posts, read 227,661 times
[quote=GCSTroop;5668017]Correct me if I'm wrong but you decided to take this thread from the Christianity forum and pose it to the main Religion and Philosophy forum. In my opinion, that seems to mean that you were directing your comments to people who were not just Christians but to everyone participating in the main Religion and Philosophy forum, right? Therefore, in my opinion, that means to me that you were willing to open this thread up for communication amongst people who may or may not be Christians up to and including we of the Atheist/Agnostic type.

I suggest you get used to hearing what other people have to say. It's this thing called dialogue and debate. If you are strictly concerned with only receiving a Christian response than might I suggest looking at the main Christianity forum. Likewise, if you're strictly concerned with an Atheist/Agnostic response might I suggest you look at that respective forum.

However, if you're looking for a response from all walks of beliefs than I would expect to have that in the main Religion and Philosophy forum. Just a thought... No need to get nasty about it.[/quote

People can express themselves in a more polite way without telling one another to shut there mouth unless asked i agree and yes I know what site im in , and usually I have no problem with other peoples suggestions but delievery is everything as several people on this same thread has suggested.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:01 AM

1,491 posts, read 2,981,728 times
I have a question for you folks. From what I gather here, most of you don't want a Christian approaching you to discuss Christianity. Would you feel the same anger and disregard for someone from lets say, the Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist or other religious group as you do for Christians? Just curious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality