Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 12:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
If a man uses God's destruction of wicked men in the flood as reason to commit genocide, he has much deeper issues. Only the most disturbed of individuals could possible consider himself equal to God and able to judge who deserves life or death.
It would take a disturbed God indeed to kill all the innocent children and babies with His genocidal fit.

Regards
DL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:06 PM

2,214 posts, read 5,578,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post
Do you not find it strange that God sowed millions of souls and could only reap 8.

Rather a poor farmer, no?

Regards
DL

No. The eight souls who survived are the only ones that loved him and wanted to serve him. They chose to. The others did not. Crops do not have free will so the 'poor farmer' comment is lost on me.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
No. The eight souls who survived are the only ones that loved him and wanted to serve him. They chose to. The others did not. Crops do not have free will so the 'poor farmer' comment is lost on me.
You mean that none of the children or babies loved God.

Love me or drown is a real real good policy.
Would you drown those you love?
Why does God crave our love so much, insecure?

Regards
DL

Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
It would take a disturbed God indeed to kill all the innocent children and babies with His genocidal fit.

Regards
DL
The idea that God doesnt have the right to destroy any or all of his creation is born from the sheer disgust we have when we view mistreatment of man, especially children. The peoples that God found the need to destroy in the bible were not ignorant of his existence. And they were given chance after chance to turn from their false Gods and wicked practices in order to save themselves AND their children. They saw evidence repeatedly that the God of Israel was the true God but they refused to turn away from their 'dungy' idols and inhuman practices. If anyone was responsible for the death of those children, it was themselves.

Was he disturbed? Most definitely. I'd venture to say that anyone who saw their creation turn on them so completely would be very disturbed indeed. Was it a 'fit'? Hardly. It is impossible for God to act unjustly. His anger is always righteously controlled.

It seems to me that you are struggling with your own issues and that you want to somehow prove the faith of others to be misguided. But you forget that many of us have based our entire lives on getting to know this God of ours. None of these arguments are new to us. And none of them will turn us against our creator.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
You mean that none of the children or babies loved God.

Love me or drown is a real real good policy.
Would you drown those you love?
Why does God crave our love so much, insecure?

Regards
DL
Babies and children grow up. You don't think God had the ability to foresee whether any of them would be raised to be faithful to him? It took Noah a very long time to build the ark. During that time, he used every effort (and his family probably did as well) to bring the people to the realization of their wrongs. They laughed and scoffed. No, they didnt love God. And they certainly weren't teaching their children to do so.

God deserves our love. He is our father...Fathers crave and treasure the love of their children. All parents have rules and guidance they give to their children to protect them and help them grow into responsible adults. If parents do their best to make this happen, and the children refuse to listen-it is hardly the fault of the parents if their children have a bad end.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Babies and children grow up. You don't think God had the ability to foresee whether any of them would be raised to be faithful to him? It took Noah a very long time to build the ark. During that time, he used every effort (and his family probably did as well) to bring the people to the realization of their wrongs. They laughed and scoffed. No, they didnt love God. And they certainly weren't teaching their children to do so.

God deserves our love. He is our father...Fathers crave and treasure the love of their children. All parents have rules and guidance they give to their children to protect them and help them grow into responsible adults. If parents do their best to make this happen, and the children refuse to listen-it is hardly the fault of the parents if their children have a bad end.
When you can justify the drowning of children and babies and genocide then I would say that your indoctrination is too deep for salvation.
Any that would cheer on their God to kill humans is lost.

Regards
DL

Old 10-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
When you can justify the drowning of children and babies and genocide then I would say that your indoctrination is too deep for salvation.
Any that would cheer on their God to kill humans is lost.

Regards
DL
I don't justify it. Every motherly bone in my body revolts against the idea; I was created that way. But God absolutely can justify it. Salvation involves trusting God and loving him for the gifts he has given mankind. Any indignation he felt in the past and feels today is completely beyond our comprehension because we are imperfect.

I have too much respect for human life to ever 'cheer on' the destruction of another human,even at the hand of God himself. I'm sure it was very difficult for his people to watch those events. But it absolutely is not up to ne to disagree or agree with his actions. The only people I feel are 'lost' are the ones that cannot take sides with anyone. As it is, I know exactly where I stand.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I don't justify it. Every motherly bone in my body revolts against the idea; I was created that way. But God absolutely can justify it. Salvation involves trusting God and loving him for the gifts he has given mankind. Any indignation he felt in the past and feels today is completely beyond our comprehension because we are imperfect.

I have too much respect for human life to ever 'cheer on' the destruction of another human,even at the hand of God himself. I'm sure it was very difficult for his people to watch those events. But it absolutely is not up to ne to disagree or agree with his actions. The only people I feel are 'lost' are the ones that cannot take sides with anyone. As it is, I know exactly where I stand.
Then stand proud beside your genocidal maniac.

Regards
DL

Old 10-17-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Then stand proud beside your genocidal maniac.

Regards
DL
I stand proud by my creator. It would never occur to me to refer to him with such disrespect.

In focusing on the vengeance that God has felt necessary to enact on the wicked, so many people lose sight of the tremendous and undeserving kindnesses he has shown. God always rewards those 'earnestly seeking him'. A God who loves us enough to sacrifice his own son, can't possibly be as evil as you seem to think.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:32 PM

307 posts, read 479,381 times
Quote:
I stand proud by my creator. It would never occur to me to refer to him with such disrespect.

In focusing on the vengeance that God has felt necessary to enact on the wicked, so many people lose sight of the tremendous and undeserving kindnesses he has shown. God always rewards those 'earnestly seeking him'. A God who loves us enough to sacrifice his own son, can't possibly be as evil as you seem to think.
I think most Christians, deep in their hearts, will have problems with the God of the Hebrew scriptures. He is so very different from the God of the Greek scriptures, who was revealed to us by Jesus Christ.

Personally, my God is the creator of all life, both human and otherwise, the Master Artist and Designer of the beautiful universe. And it is to Him I pray, through his Son, Jesus Christ. He has sustained me through many trials. Why is that, alicenevada?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality