Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:29 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
When Jesus says we can ask for anything we have to remember that our asking must be in in His name and God will not grant requests contrary to His nature or will. We cannot use this as a magic formula or fulfill selfish desires.
I was 11 years old on September 6th 1951, and at that time was a Christian. That day my dad took my brother, myself and two friends fishing on the Grand River in Ontario. We were casting from an old dam when one of my friends, Steven slipped and fell into the river. My dad managed to get to the edge of the dam and hauled him out, but in doing so fell into the river himself.

He had never learned to swim. I had my hands full holding back my panicked younger brother, and all I could do...The only thing I could do was pray. That was the last time I saw my dad alive...Dad was a good man who had just saved my friend's life....Prayers do not work because there is no god to answer them.

This event was probably the beginning of the end of my faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I was 11 years old on September 6th 1951, and at that time was a Christian. That day my dad took my brother, myself and two friends fishing on the Grand River in Ontario. We were casting from an old dam when one of my friends, Steven slipped and fell into the river. My dad managed to get to the edge of the dam and hauled him out, but in doing so fell into the river himself.

He had never learned to swim. I had my hands full holding back my panicked younger brother, and all I could do...The only thing I could do was pray. That was the last time I saw my dad alive...Dad was a good man who had just saved my friend's life....Prayers do not work because there is no god to answer them.

I am sorry this happened to you. When driving to the hospital to see my daddy after his heart attack I prayed I would get to him one just one more time, he was already gone when I got there. This did not shake my faith in God. Over time I began to realize this was God's will.
I strongly disagree, I believe prayers do work and there is power in them, I have seen it.

PS, there is no such thing as an ex Christian.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:35 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,331,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Here you go then.

"God, please grant me the wisdom to develop a way to feed the entire world. I want this because there are people suffering throughout humanity, who have done no wrong to you or I. I want to be able to provide them all with food, so that we can stop sensless violence, and better understand your love through this."

Oh wait, no stroke of genius hit me. I'll leave the door open for an answer, but I'm still not expecting a knock.

Start a garden! You want wisdom to develop a way to feed the entire world, start a garden. How else are you to learn the tools necessary to achieve your goal? To feed the whole world one will have to learn distribution, tactics on combating disease, politics, governments and what types of feed to grow and where to grow them. Don't want to raise bananas in New York.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:40 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
Start a garden! You want wisdom to develop a way to feed the entire world, start a garden. How else are you to learn the tools necessary to achieve your goal? To feed the whole world one will have to learn distribution, tactics on combating disease, politics, governments and what types of feed to grow and where to grow them. Don't want to raise bananas in New York.
I have a garden. I grow several things, but no words of wisdom from on high as of yet.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:

What does your friend do today? do you know? Sacrifice, sanspeur, to slave a life of another, is equal to no other. That's what Jesus Christ did. He sacrificed His own life so other's may gain eternal life. He arose again. He proved eternity with the Father. Your father, is with God, I promise.
One day He waits for you to go fishing again.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have a garden. I grow several things, but no words of wisdom from on high as of yet.
Well, is it a garden that can feed at least a family? or two families. What is your most productive crop? or what do you like growing the most?

Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM

754 posts, read 1,922,775 times
Those boaters off the coast of Texas beleive he does!

One of the experts on survival situations says that the fact they had faith, was one of the things that saved them. She said, even if you don't beleive in a higher power, you must have a strong belief that you will be rescued and you will have a much greater chance at surviving.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionpainter View Post
Well, is it a garden that can feed at least a family? or two families. What is your most productive crop? or what do you like growing the most?
My favorite thing to grow has little to do with fixing hunger, might cause it.

I grow wonderful tomatos, bell peppers, okra, and a few other things.

I would love to solve world hunger, but its not going to happen. My point was to point out that if you pray to God, even for good reasons, often your prayer won't be answered. I have helped other people with their gardens, and I've given food to othe people. What I grow probably isn't enough for my family to survive on, but it helps.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:57 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:

I'll bet the religious community had all kinds of excuses for such a traumatic event. I'm sorry.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
I'll bet the religious community had all kinds of excuses for such a traumatic event. I'm sorry.

I bet he heard,

"He works in mysterious ways." or "Hes in a better place now." or "We don't know his will."

Either those, or something similar.

BTW, have you ever been to the funeral of someone where people said, "Oh, he is going straight to hell."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality