Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:16 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
For you to believe in a literal talking donkey, because the book that has the fairytale claims this is a true event, is quite sad. It's this lack of critical thinking that is plaguing our nation, and contributing to the decline of education and intelligence.

I will leave you with this nice gem from your so-called true book:

Deuteronomy 22:28:
"28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives."

We're talking about a poor female who is raped, and then forced to marry her rapist. It's bad enough that she is treated as property, being a soiled virgin who is "damaged goods" now, and her father being paid off, but to have to live the rest of her life with her rapist...what a wonderful book you worship!
Let me give you a little insite on your gem. First I dont know where you got the word (rape), in most translations it states intercourse, not rape. Anotherwords it is an agreed upon arrangement, and according to the law if such a thing should come to pass, marriage would be the end result. The law of that time stated that if the said person was good enought to have sex with you, they were good enought to be married to. We are not talking rape here, I would suggest you actually do a little study of the Scriptures before you are so quick to pass judgement on them.

And as far as what God can do, I have seen a lot more in my life that has come from God, which is more impressive than a talking donkey. What is sad, is your lack of knowledge of Gods capabilities. The decline of education has not come about because of peoples love for God. Many of America's best schools were started by Christian people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:38 PM

418 posts, read 708,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Let me give you a little insite on your gem. First I dont know where you got the word (rape), in most translations it states intercourse, not rape. Anotherwords it is an agreed upon arrangement, and according to the law if such a thing should come to pass, marriage would be the end result. The law of that time stated that if the said person was good enought to have sex with you, they were good enought to be married to. We are not talking rape here, I would suggest you actually do a little study of the Scriptures before you are so quick to pass judgement on them.

And as far as what God can do, I have seen a lot more in my life that has come from God, which is more impressive than a talking donkey. What is sad, is your lack of knowledge of Gods capabilities. The decline of education has not come about because of peoples love for God. Many of America's best schools were started by Christian people.
Go ahead and check this:

BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible passage in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

Deuteronomy 22 God's Word Translation

Be sure to see where it says RAPE.

Please don't insult our intelligence by making light of rape in the bible. We all know better. Then again, we don't believe in literal talking donkeys, so you might be operating in a compromised mental reality.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Go ahead and check this:

BibleGateway.com: Search for a Bible passage in over 35 languages and 50 versions.

Deuteronomy 22 God's Word Translation

Be sure to see where it says RAPE.

Please don't insult our intelligence by making light of rape in the bible. We all know better. Then again, we don't believe in literal talking donkeys, so you might be operating in a compromised mental reality.
This is why Jesus tells us to study to show thy self approved. The Bible was not written in English it was written in Hebrew and Aramaic, and some times those languages were not properly translated to the English. In the NIV it translates the word rape from the word taphas and shakab. Taphas means to catch, handle, lay hold, take hold. And shakab means to lie down, to lodge, to lie (of sexual relations) ect. The use of the word rape really does not fit the actual meaning. And that is why some Bibles will use the word rape, and others will not. It is because some Bible are closer to the orginal meaning of the text, and others were farther away. Those translations that used the word (rape) are useing a word the orginal Hebrew or Aramaic would not support.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:43 PM

418 posts, read 708,311 times
Quote:
This is why Jesus tells us to study to show thy self approved. The Bible was not written in English it was written in Hebrew and Aramaic, and some times those languages were not properly translated to the English. In the NIV it translates the word rape from the word taphas and shakab. Taphas means to catch, handle, lay hold, take hold. And shakab means to lie down, to lodge, to lie (of sexual relations) ect. The use of the word rape really does not fit the actual meaning. And that is why some Bibles will use the word rape, and others will not. It is because some Bible are closer to the orginal meaning of the text, and others were farther away. Those translations that used the word (rape) are useing a word the orginal Hebrew or Aramaic would not support.
If you don't like RAPE, how about SEIZE and VIOLATE?

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Deut 22;

28" If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered,29then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.

You cannot explain away all of the atrocities in the bible to translation. Instances such as killing homosexuals, killing infants and children, taking captive virgins as wives after killing their family, killing adulterers...shall I continue?

If you deny any of these writings in the bible, there is no point in talking to you because you are blinded by your religion.

You're not alone though. This is how modern religion operates. They ignore the horrors of their holy texts, and preach a new message that is more accepted in today's society.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
If you don't like RAPE, how about SEIZE and VIOLATE?

BibleGateway.com - Passage*Lookup: Deut 22;

28" If a man finds a girl who is a virgin, who is not engaged, and seizes her and lies with her and they are discovered,29then the man who lay with her shall give to the girl's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall become his wife because he has violated her; he cannot divorce her all his days.

You cannot explain away all of the atrocities in the bible to translation. Instances such as killing homosexuals, killing infants and children, taking captive virgins as wives after killing their family, killing adulterers...shall I continue?

If you deny any of these writings in the bible, there is no point in talking to you because you are blinded by your religion.

You're not alone though. This is how modern religion operates. They ignore the horrors of their holy texts, and preach a new message that is more accepted in today's society.
I don't deny anything, yet I believe you have to look at each story and consider what is occuring. I don't ignore anything, especially the prophecies that are coming to pass in our own time. That is pretty much what the world is doing. And that is why Christ tells us that when He returns the tribes of the earth will morn when they see Him.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:22 PM

6 posts, read 9,561 times
Quote:
I don't deny anything, yet I believe you have to look at each story and consider what is occuring. I don't ignore anything, especially the prophecies that are coming to pass in our own time. That is pretty much what the world is doing. And that is why Christ tells us that when He returns the tribes of the earth will morn when they see Him.

Would this work?

I don't deny anything, yet I believe you have to look at the anecdotal claims, and NORADS tracking of santa. I don't ignore anything, especially the fact that December is coming to pass in our time. That is pretty much what the world is doing. And that is why Santa tells us that when he returns, the tribes of earth will rejoice with presents, when they see him.

And christians get mad when people tell them santa and jesus are the same person.

Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
If people believe that the text in deuteronomy is the actual word of god, why would anyone want to worship such a barbarian? who, outside of the sexual act, has no use for women at all except of course, target practise for stone throwers.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:04 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
I look at the story in Deut 22 and see that a woman can be raped if the man is willing to pay 50 shekels and force her to marry him.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heracles View Post
You have no proof. You know you have to proof. Everyone knows you have no proof. We can push this line of thought forever but we both know in the end it boils down to faith and that is all you have, not one single tiny shred of physical proof. It wouldn't be a problem if believers in sky pixies would keep their superstitions out of everyone else's life.
The Bible is a Book that is packed with facts, yet if one chooses to ignore all the other facts, what can one say. My encounters with God would read
just as strange as some of the stories in the Bible, yet my stories are just as true. It is your lack of experience with the living God, that has led you to believe it is but superstition. There is proof of the Bibles truth, yet, are you open to such truth?

Old 11-19-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I look at the story in Deut 22 and see that a woman can be raped if the man is willing to pay 50 shekels and force her to marry him.
The story reads that way in some of the translations that have drifted from the orginal wording of the text. Yet if you do your homework, you will find that this is not the case at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality