Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:49 PM

1,577 posts, read 3,699,993 times

Advertisements

Why are the Christians prophets (Peter, Paul, Matthew, etc) depicted as Caucasian men?

And why do they have European names?

Shouldn't they look more like the people we see in the modern day Middle East complete with funny sounding names?

Just curious, not trying to troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Why is this in the atheist and agnostic sub-forum?
To see if any one here could just give me a straight answer. Christians always give some cryptic answer that never really says much

Old 10-30-2008, 01:15 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,920,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
To see if any one here could just give me a straight answer. Christians always give some cryptic answer that never really says much
Because historically the most powerful churches were always European and thus they would portray the saints etc in a manner that appealed to their sheeple. It's all about the public relations and public image, ya know!

Old 10-30-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Because historically the most powerful churches were always European and thus they would portray the saints etc in a manner that appealed to their sheeple. It's all about the public relations and public image, ya know!

That makes sense. Political and diplomatic. Can't have them looking like Bin Ladin, even tho they probly looked alot like modern day people in that area of the world.

Islam was forming around that same time, and they used Arabic names and are depicted accurately. If Europe had shown dark skinned people tho, I spose the masses would have been more likely to reject Christianity. No one wants to think of Jesus looking like an Arab or an Iraqi when in all likelyhood he probably did.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
That makes sense. Political and diplomatic. Can't have them looking like Bin Ladin, even tho they probly looked alot like modern day people in that area of the world.

Islam was forming around that same time, and they used Arabic names and are depicted accurately. If Europe had shown dark skinned people tho, I spose the masses would have been more likely to reject Christianity. No one wants to think of Jesus looking like an Arab or an Iraqi when in all likelyhood he probably did.
Yep, you pretty much got it in a nutshell there.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:20 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
Quote:
Why are the Christians prophets (Peter, Paul, Matthew, etc) depicted as Caucasian men?
Where are they depicted as such? I always saw them as men from the Middle East, particularly around Israel.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Where are they depicted as such? I always saw them as men from the Middle East, particularly around Israel.
Well, you could start with historical works of religious art, for one.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:44 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Kind of like "why is Jesus always painted as a blue-eyed blonde with European features?" Looks better in the press, perhaps.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:24 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
I think SuSuSushi is exacly right. The image that many modern Christians have of Jesus and his followers is based on centuries of artwork and many of the masterpieces that were painted by some of the greatest painters who have ever lived depicted these men looking as though they could have been from Stockholm as opposed to the Middle East. A few hundred years ago when many of these works of art were painted it was Europe who had become the most influential and politically powerful part of the world, not the Middle East, and because there was no such thing as photography in the days of Jesus it's not surprising that the many artists who painted religious imagery such as the last supper and other religious events tended to portray the individuals as being similar to themselves. Those images could have come from places like Italy, France, The Netherlands or even Haight Ashbury in the 60's, oh wait, they were way too stoned to paint that well.
Actually I do agree with Chielgirl, this topic, although it's interesting, probably does belong in the main forum because it has nothing to do with atheism or agnosticism. It's not that big of a deal though.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:36 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,487 times
Hmmmm, I always wondered that myself and I could never figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality