Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 02:47 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Seriously, I don't know how old you are John, but in the beginning the homosexuals use to call Aids Falwells revenge. The reason for that was because Jerry Falwell use to tell the Gay people that those who choose that life style may receive the punishment from God. Of course they all made fun of him until aids showed up. Of course because the life styles of so many people were involved with drugs and other kinds of sexual pratices, the virse found all kinds of new ways of being spread. Believe me John, I know Christian trying to help homosexuals and others who now have the Aids virus. I know one member of my former church who set up an Aids clinic in Africa to help those over there. This is pretty much the way it goes. Christians warn the people to stay away from such a lifestyle. Then the Christians get dumped on for not being tolerant or open minded. Then after everyone gets sick from their chossen lifestyle. Then the Christians have to spend millions of their dollars to take care of the ones who refused to listen to them in the first place. It is often the Christian fundamentalist who have to clean up the mess, after your free thinkers, and openmindness runs it's course.
Obviously because they're not being tolerant or openminded. HIV is not caused by homosexuality. Open your mind just enough to comprehend that, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 02:56 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Now about Noah's Ark...

Genesis 6:14-16 So make yourself an ark of cypress [c] wood; make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out. 15 This is how you are to build it: The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high. [d] 16 Make a roof for it and finish [e] the ark to within 18 inches [f] of the top. Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle and upper decks.

Genesis 7:2-3 2 Take with you seven [a] of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth.

~~How many "kinds" of animals are there? is it possible to get that many animals onto a boat that size?

Old 11-05-2008, 04:11 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Wtf? If there were no carnivores before the flood then why would god design them to kill other animals?

This is the same for the herbivores who have traits such as eyes on the side of the head(to see predators coming) as opposed to carnivores who have them in the front(to judge distances for pouncing on prey)

Lastly and to put emphasis on my point(:these related apologetics make no sense), why did certain species of animals then began to eat meat?
Sharp teeth are just as good for eating vegitation as it is for meat. Eyes are for seeing, whether on the sides or top of the head, they can all see preditors coming. You are determining which position you thinks is better. What is better?

Animals began to eat meat post flood because of the cursed world. The ability to get the nutrients they needed became more difficult so some animals began to eat meat.

Take for example the deer in Alaska eat the heads off tiny birds whose nests are on the ground. This is because the environment they are in makes it difficult for them to get the calcium they need to survive. These baby bird skulls and brains are rich in calcium. Have these deer teeth arangement changed into sharp pointy projections? No, they are standard deer teeth arangement. Showing that dentation does not dictate diet.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Oh boy. As Coos pointed out, carnivores have adapted to be killing machines. They have physiological differences as herbivores. You are trying to tell me T-Rex was on the Ark and was eating plants? That's ludicrous.

Take modern examples of what starving carnivores do...Mountain Lions and Bears encroaching on human settlements for food. Though they *may* eat non-meat sources, they do seek out meat and will come into conflict with humans for it. I'm not sure if you have pets, but even my docile Chihuahua practically attacks me for meat as opposed to having at the grass in the backyard. There is no way your carnivores "now suddenly herbivores" played nice on the ark. "Hi, I'm T-Rex. Hi, I'm cow. Nice to be sitting side by side with you eating grass."
It's not my idea, it is what the bible says happened.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:17 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
Obviously because they're not being tolerant or openminded. HIV is not caused by homosexuality. Open your mind just enough to comprehend that, please.
I never said HIV was caused by homosexuality. I said AIDS can be spread by homosexuals, and others. Please don't put words in my mouth that I have not spoken. My mind is open, please try useing yours.

HIV is spread most commonly by sexual contact with an infected partner.

AIDS and African-Americans

Old 11-05-2008, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
So, let me get this straight:

There were a bunch of friendly, vegetarian dinosaurs all frolicking amidst the jungles and forests of the world happily chomping down on carrots and beets. Then, one day, two of each dinosaur were herded onto a big dinghy to set sail and ride in the wake of a great storm. Now, meanwhile, plenty of T-Rex's, Raptors and other creatures who were still on land before the flood started had not yet developed these animal eating characteristics.

So, the dinghy sets sail, the flood begins, and then all of these plant-eating specimens are washed away and wiped off the face of the Earth.

Years later, (to go by your version - about 4500 years) paleontologists start digging up the remains of dinosaurs like T-Rex and the Raptors and other flesh-eating dinosaurs. The strange thing is they all have these hideously sharp teeth that would do absolutely no good chomping on a leaf.

So why is it that we aren't finding any T-Rex's with molars?

Not only that, but if the T-Rex was on the dinghy, what led to its subsequent extinction? Apparently, if as you say, they developed "animal-eating" characteristics AFTER the flood then it would have taken quite a while to do so. Which sounds to me like you're asserting that evolutionary change can happen as rapidly as a few thousand years. Actually, it sounds like you're asserting that evolutionary change can happen within a few hundred years or perhaps even a few generations.

Now, I find that interesting. How can you deny evolution and yet unwittingly say that something as drastic as a complete dental overhaul could happen in such a short amount of time? So short, mind you, that there's no record of human beings "after the flood" (sarcasm intended) as coming in contact with said nasty creatures.

They got off the ark, they had to have enough successive generations to develop those horrendous teeth, and then they had to die out all within a relatively short amount of time. Is it just me? Or does none of this add up?
The difficulty you are having is your lack of understanding. You have turned the biblical argument into a strawman arguement. So, you have belittled the point of creation. First, dentation does not dictate diet. This is where your evolutionary teaching is tripping you up. The animals did not evolve after they got off the ark, because evolution does not occur. The T-Rex had the same teeth prior to the ark as after. Unfortunately the T-Rex could not survive as well in a post flood world as other animals could. The T-Rex also was hunted and killed by humans. See works like "Beowulf" a secular writting. The animal described sounds like a T-Rex to me. From biblical writings see Job 40 which describes more of a sauropod. Job lived in the post-flood times, and this animal, Behemoth, appears common to him.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Is there some biblical evidence to support your claim that no animal flesh was eaten until after Noah? Clearly animals were killed before Noah's time:

Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.

Genesis 4:4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering

At the very least, we can argue that animals were killed for their skins and for burnt offerings to god.

I don't see anything about animals not being eaten. Why would these people raise sheep and cattle for a thousand years? Just for companionship, not to eat? That's a stretch.
Sheep were used as you say for skins, for sacrifices. They were not eaten for meat but were used for their milk or their wool. We still raise sheep for this today.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
The God of the Bible, can use just about anything He wants to pass His Words on. I recall many years ago I got out of my truck at work. And as I did that, I said these words, "Jesus, I love you." And then I continued to walk across the street to enter the plant where I worked. As I was crossing the street, I could not help but noticed a balloon flying wildly in the wind. It would go up very high, and then very low. As I got closer to the plants front gate, the balloon appeared to come closer to the ground. Finally it came down on the other side of the gate that I still had to open. and then suddenly, the balloon started to move quickly in a sidways motion on the other side of the gate. It's movements seemed very odd to me. Then the balloon appeared to center itself in front of the three inch opening of the gate. And for a very short period of time, it just seemed to float in midair. The balloon was about 8 inches in diameter, where as the gate opening was about 3 inches. When I was about five feet from the gate, the balloon somehow moved forward and squeezed through that three inch opening without breaking, and then the balloon almost hit me in the face. Yet at the last minute, I caught the balloon in my hands. When I turned the balloon over, printed on the other side of the balloon were the words, "I LOVE YOU". I then took the balloon back to my truck and was going to save it to show my wife, but as I put the balloon in the truck, a wind came, and the balloon flew out of my truck and continued on it's way. If the God of the Bible can use a balloon to tell me that he loves me, I have no problem believeing he could use a donkey to pass on another message to some one else. Over the years, God has shown me many things in my life, and every experience I have with God, only shows me His wonderful power. It's only because you have not experienced God, do you have such a lack of faith in His abilities. This story is not a fable, and the stories found in the Bible are just as true. The God of the Bible, is a God of wonder.
I like the story Campbell34, Thanks!

Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I read some of it. Quite the spin put on a real event...I'm talking about the migration of early man not the biblical tale of Noah's family.

Here is how most of us think it really happened. https://www3.nationalgeographic.com/...hic/atlas.html
It is a good thing that truth is not determined by the majority!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:21 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Sharp teeth are just as good for eating vegitation as it is for meat.
I'm sorry Nikk but this is just false. The molars and premolars in predators are quite ragged which is perfect for slicing through thick morsels of meat and bone but useless for trying to grind up any kind of vegetation.

Herbivores on the other hand have them flat which is perfect for tearing up the fibrous tissue in plants but sucks at trying to get meat.

Species like us are known as omnivores which have some characteristics present on the other 2 that allow us to eat food from both worlds.

Quote:
Eyes are for seeing, whether on the sides or top of the head, they can all see preditors coming. You are determining which position you thinks is better. What is better?
No Nikk, each position has it's advantages and disadvantages. Having eyes at the front allow them to focus on one object front 2 angles which produce a nice trigonometric effect that the brain uses to calculate relative distances between objects. The con of eyes in the front is that you can't see whats behind you. Having eyes at the side on the other hand will give you a greater field of vision but will render that method of depth perception useless.

Come on Nikk, this is biology101 here. I'm sure you can find some examples of herbivores or carnivores temporarily changing their eating habits when the going gets tough or when a grandiose opportunity arises but there is a clear cut physical(big emphasis on this word) difference between carnivores and herbivores.

Quote:
Animals began to eat meat post flood because of the cursed world. The ability to get the nutrients they needed became more difficult so some animals began to eat meat.

Is that why the mayority of the really big animals happen to be herbivores?
What a coincidence too that all the species with ragged teeth, sharp claws and hunting/pouncing instincts all became carnivores.

Nikk, I can't say I take your apologetics seriously. They almost sound like they have been made up on the spot.
Quote:
Take for example the deer in Alaska eat the heads off tiny birds whose nests are on the ground. This is because the environment they are in makes it difficult for them to get the calcium they need to survive. These baby bird skulls and brains are rich in calcium. Have these deer teeth arangement changed into sharp pointy projections? No, they are standard deer teeth arangement.
Sigh.

A Carnivore is not defined as an animal that would rather die than eat plants.

A Herbivore is not defined as an animal that would rather die than eat meat.

A left handed person(ie me) is not defined as someone who would rather die than write with the right hand.

Finding a deer that eats a baby bird in order to get some much needed calcium proves that it is not a vegetarian as much as finding me writting(albeit horribly) with my right hand proves I'm not left handed.

Quote:
Showing that dentation does not dictate diet.
Sure, go tell that to all those people whose sole job is to study bones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality