Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM

418 posts, read 708,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I just gave you some facts for your consideration, but since it doesn't fit in your world view, you just dismiss them, hardly good research.
If you look at my post, I didn't "just dismiss" the good King. I said I didn't know enough about him to say one way or the other. That is how science operates. Research is conducted before claims are made.

You say these are facts, and I said I need to do some research before I can agree with you. You believe in imaginary things and thus your judgment is in question. I can't just accept what you tell me is factual in regards to the King. It very may be, but I will need to have a look myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 08:41 PM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
If you look at my post, I didn't "just dismiss" the good King. I said I didn't know enough about him to say one way or the other. That is how science operates. Research is conducted before claims are made.

You say these are facts, and I said I need to do some research before I can agree with you. You believe in imaginary things and thus your judgment is in question. I can't just accept what you tell me is factual in regards to the King. It very may be, but I will need to have a look myself.

Okay. Do you know who Josephus is?

Old 11-02-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Science disqualified a round earth as well, and they were wrong...
You speak of Science as gospel, the religion of science...

godspeed,

freedom
I do hope your assertion about a "round Earth" is not what you base your entire view of science on.

If you remember, it was popular belief that the Earth was flat, and the bible certainly didn't discourage that with it's four corners of the Earth bit.

Isaiah 11:12 And He will lift up a standard for the nations And assemble the banished ones of Israel, And will gather the dispersed of Judah From the four corners of the earth.

Eventually the true nature of the Earth was known as humankind became more enlightened. Unfortunately, belief in Noah's Ark sets our collective IQ back about 75 points, and undermines enlightenment that discoveries like a spherical Earth brings.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Okay. Do you know who Josephus is?
Yes, he is a bit more well known to the layman than your good King.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, he is a bit more well known to the layman than your good King.

In 100 A.D. he wrote in his Antiquities of the Jews that the remains of the ark could still be seen.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
In 100 A.D. he wrote in his Antiquities of the Jews that the remains of the ark could still be seen.
The same thing was said during the fifties...Ark seen on Mount Ararat. Unfortunately, this was inaccurate.

In regards to your dear Josephus, his works pertaining to Jesus are in dispute in terms of authenticity, as they have been for many centuries. Read here to learn more about him:

Josephus on Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The works of Josephus are questionable due to the alleged Christian forgeries to sway the masses. Perhaps a conclusion will be made at some point, but if it's been disputed for centuries, I wouldn't expect a resolution to the issue in your lifetime.

Please understand this, if Josephus wrote about seeing an Ark, once again it doesn't mean a global flood occurred. People of that time didn't know what global was. They didn't know of North and South America and Antarctica. This is the heart of the matter. There very well could have been a local flood with a man and his family taking some animals on a boat. This doesn't mean the biblical myth is a reality.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
The same thing was said during the fifties...Ark seen on Mount Ararat. Unfortunately, this was inaccurate.

In regards to your dear Josephus, his works pertaining to Jesus are in dispute in terms of authenticity, as they have been for many centuries. Read here to learn more about him:

Josephus on Jesus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The works of Josephus are questionable due to the alleged Christian forgeries to sway the masses. Perhaps a conclusion will be made at some point, but if it's been disputed for centuries, I wouldn't expect a resolution to the issue in your lifetime.

Please understand this, if Josephus wrote about seeing an Ark, once again it doesn't mean a global flood occurred. People of that time didn't know what global was. They didn't know of North and South America and Antarctica. This is the heart of the matter. There very well could have been a local flood with a man and his family taking some animals on a boat. This doesn't mean the biblical myth is a reality.

I'm getting sleepy now. I will try to come back tomorrow and teach you some more. I have more facts for you

Old 11-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I'm getting sleepy now. I will try to come back tomorrow and teach you some more. I have more facts for you
I like you Sandgirl.

Have a nice sleep.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:38 AM

307 posts, read 479,421 times
Quote:
I do hope your assertion about a "round Earth" is not what you base your entire view of science on.

If you remember, it was popular belief that the Earth was flat, and the bible certainly didn't discourage that with it's four corners of the Earth bit.

Isaiah 11:12 And He will lift up a standard for the nations And assemble the banished ones of Israel, And will gather the dispersed of Judah From the four corners of the earth.

Eventually the true nature of the Earth was known as humankind became more enlightened. Unfortunately, belief in Noah's Ark sets our collective IQ back about 75 points, and undermines enlightenment that discoveries like a spherical Earth brings.
Do open your bible at Isaiah 40 v 22, John.

He who sits above the circle of the earth....

Now how did Isaiah know that? Another scriptural verse says 'He is hanging the earth upon nothing..' The four corners of the earth is figurative language.

Back to the drawing board!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth7 View Post
Do open your bible at Isaiah 40 v 22, John.

He who sits above the circle of the earth....

Now how did Isaiah know that? Another scriptural verse says 'He is hanging the earth upon nothing..' The four corners of the earth is figurative language.

Back to the drawing board!
Elizabeth, why is circle of the Earth any less figurative language in your opinion than the four corners of the Earth? If a spherical Earth was common knowledge back then, why was the Earth thought of as flat, centuries after?

If biblical peoples were so wise, why did they not know of a heliocentric solar system until Galileo re-popularized the idea and was threatened with heresy by the Catholic Church? And if the circle of the Earth is to be taken scientifically, how could they get that right, but get so many things wrong such as Cosmology, Evolution, Age of the Earth, Solar System and Universe? etc.

In other words, the data still points to the the common knowledge of people believing in a flat Earth. Evidence to back this up is centuries of this belief despite the circle of Earth passage in Isaiah, as well as the confirmed lack of scientific accuracy pervading a literalist approach to the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality