Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 12:30 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,362,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
I've made it clear, however, that despite protestations here to the contrary, it is almost always legal for them to knock on one's door. Our society generally protects such behavior as long as it is done without breaking some basic rules. In fact, the right of people to talk to other people about what they believe, whether religion or political, is a fundamental freedom in our country.
So, from your answer I can conclude there is no nice way to get Mormons to leave us alone because they will never do it because of their fundamental freedom? Great.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 12:49 PM

328 posts, read 564,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
So, from your answer I can conclude there is no nice way to get Mormons to leave us alone because they will never do it because of their fundamental freedom? Great.
That's right, and it really is great. Just like you'll never get the Democrats to leave you alone, or the Fraternal Order of Police to leave you alone, or any of the other "not-for-profit groups that have a fundamental right to approach you every so often to ask for support, a donation, or just to talk" to leave you alone. Remember that you aren't on any kind of list. Individual Mormons will from time to time take advantage of the freedom this country provides to contact someone around them. There is really no way to get the Republicans or Democrats to leave you alone every two years. But the alternative is pretty grim, so we should all learn to live with a slight amount of inconvenience.

You can put up a NO SOLICITOR sign, and I hope that they'd respect it. I would and I'm a Mormon.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:15 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,181,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
Bitter, absolutely, go somewhere for advice on being stalked by zealots and get....stalked by a zealot. Nice.
Irony is lost on zealots.
Excellent assessment.

More men, more men.
Bring 'em young; bring 'em younger.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:46 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,497,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
I don't believe I've been any of those things.

You are complaining that the Mormons visit you when you don't want them to. Others here chimed in with various stories and claims.

I have always said that the Mormons should treat you and others with respect and that they should not visit when they know you don't want to be visited. The issue is more complex when you have (and I don't know that you do) a difference in opinion between parents about the children being visited.

I've made it clear, however, that despite protestations here to the contrary, it is almost always legal for them to knock on one's door. Our society generally protects such behavior as long as it is done without breaking some basic rules. In fact, the right of people to talk to other people about what they believe, whether religion or political, is a fundamental freedom in our country.

I have also pointed out that your story and complaint don't seem to match the issues that others have brought up--issues that became the topic of the thread since the OP. Everyone else here has been complaining about the LDS missionaries randomly coming by their homes every so often. You, however, apparently joined the Mormon Church. You apparently have stayed a member of the Mormon Church. Your children apparently still have membership records in the Mormon Church. Your husband (as bad and evil as he might be) and his family apparently are members of the Mormon Church. I doubt very much that you are being hassled on a daily basis, and probably not more than once or twice a month, possibly a little more. And the "hassling" is probably taking the form of having them do nothing more than invite you and/or your children to attend the church that you have voluntarily joined and in which you and your children seem to maintain a membership.

If you hate Mormons that much, there are things you can do (legal things, not the illegal stuff that some people have suggested here) that can limit contact. I agree that people should be respectful of each other and not try to force their beliefs on each other. But I strongly disagree with any sentiment that wants to prohibit the orderly and infrequent contacting of people to ask if the listener is interested.
My EX HUSBAND is a felonious stalker. The irony of his being lds and from the small town in which we are now being "raided" by persistent and aggressive church members is clear. Before you twist that around too, we are here because he is precluded by law from being here. There is no confusion about my status as inactive for years nor is there any confusion about my being the sole legal authority over my children.

I would have liked it if you had kept your own baggage out of this thread unless you had some specific suggestions about stopping this behavior, instead of reading a bunch of garbage into what you thought I said.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,497,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmcnabb View Post
that's right, and it really is great. Just like you'll never get the democrats to leave you alone, or the fraternal order of police to leave you alone, or any of the other "not-for-profit groups that have a fundamental right to approach you every so often to ask for support, a donation, or just to talk" to leave you alone. Remember that you aren't on any kind of list. Individual mormons will from time to time take advantage of the freedom this country provides to contact someone around them. There is really no way to get the republicans or democrats to leave you alone every two years. But the alternative is pretty grim, so we should all learn to live with a slight amount of inconvenience.

You can put up a no solicitor sign, and i hope that they'd respect it. I would and i'm a mormon.

no solicitors

Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,242,287 times
Does showing up to the door naked keep the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses away? I've heard people joke about that. I mean, if you're inside your threshold, you're inside your home and it's no crime to walk around naked while in your home. Why not answer the door in that "mode?" BTW, to those of you who evangelize, have you had that happen to you? I think it would be more humorous than shocking.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:40 AM

178 posts, read 311,463 times
Quote:
My EX HUSBAND is a felonious stalker. The irony of his being lds and from the small town in which we are now being "raided" by persistent and aggressive church members is clear. Before you twist that around too, we are here because he is precluded by law from being here. There is no confusion about my status as inactive for years nor is there any confusion about my being the sole legal authority over my children.

I would have liked it if you had kept your own baggage out of this thread unless you had some specific suggestions about stopping this behavior, instead of reading a bunch of garbage into what you thought I said.
I'm sorry to hear about your husband. That must be very difficult to deal with. I'm also glad that you have now made it clear that you have been baptized into the LDS church, even if you are not active.

If you are receiving frequent visits, it is all part of shepherds "leaving the 99 to seek after the 1"

Though I hate to say it, if you have your membership revoked (this can be done with a letter by you... just ask your local LDS ward how to do it... or look it up on the net), you will be off of the membership list and the visits to your house will decrease dramatically (provided there are no other members living at your home as well).

I wish you the best and hope everything works out with your family situation. Sounds like there are a lot of other things going on in your life right now. Though many "Mormons" near you may annoy you, I believe that many of them probably have primarily love for you.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
no solicitors
Cute.

But this isn't your private property.

And you are the one soliciting here if anyone is...

Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 AM

143 posts, read 414,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Does showing up to the door naked keep the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses away? I've heard people joke about that. I mean, if you're inside your threshold, you're inside your home and it's no crime to walk around naked while in your home. Why not answer the door in that "mode?" BTW, to those of you who evangelize, have you had that happen to you? I think it would be more humorous than shocking.
It happened all the time in Russia. That's why I always focused on looking people in the eye....

Old 11-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
My EX HUSBAND is a felonious stalker.
Horrible. Good luck with that one. You have my sympathies and best wishes in dealing with that.

Quote:
The irony of his being lds and from the small town in which we are now being "raided" by persistent and aggressive church members is clear.
The inflammatory "raided" says more about your frame of mind that it does about anything happening in your community. The church members should be commended for their persistence but condemned for any aggressiveness or disrespect they may show.

Quote:
Before you twist that around too, we are here because he is precluded by law from being here. There is no confusion about my status as inactive for years nor is there any confusion about my being the sole legal authority over my children.
I never claimed otherwise. I merely brought it up as a possible factor in this discussion. It is now quite clear to readers of this thread that the situation you are dealing with is NOT just Mormon missionaries visiting your house more than you want. You are dealing with a complex situation where you remain a member of an organization that has as part of its fundamental beliefs the idea that its members visit each other on a frequent basis.

Quote:
I don't see much "baggage" that I've brought to this thread. I have done nothing more than remind people that the people around us have a certain, limited right to annoy us by knocking on our doors. I've reminded people that to attack, harm, or threaten to attack or harm is something that is almost always illegal, even if you don't want the person to knock on your door. My posts have drawn out from you a more complete description of the situation, something that readers probably didn't know when you started this discussion---primarily that you voluntarily agreed to have you and your children be members of the Mormon Church and that you are choosing, for whatever reason, to remain as members of the Mormon Church.

To answer your question about getting them to not visit, you need to talk to the bishop or branch president and come to some agreement. He is supposed to pretty much do as you ask in these situations, particularly in regard to your children, though he will probably want to contact you once or twice a year to see if there is anything you need or if your views have changed. They really should not be disrespectful to you and they should not be hounding you.

I would be curious to know, and it is quite significant to this discussion to know, how often you have been contacted over, say, the last 60 days. How many times has someone come to your home? How many times has someone called you on the phone? Are they contacting you or your children? Are your children young or high school age? Are your children contacting members of the Church on their own and telling them that they are interested?

All of these are important questions in determining how upset the rest of us should be at your receiving unwanted visits or contacts by the Mormon Church. If your children are high school seniors and contacting the Church on their own, and if the Church is contacting your family once or twice a month, that is all very different from having the Church contact you once or twice a week and having your children be pre-teens. Not that the Mormon Church shouldn't honor your requests, but the rest of us can't respond appropriately until we know just how badly the Church is or is not behaving in your case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality