Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 08:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,433,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Ever noticed how people who want to tell you all about their religion don't want to listen to a single word about yours?

Try this. It works!

When _________ (fill in the blank: mormons, jehovah's witnesses, etc.) show up at your door, act very interested. Interrupt their presentation often with observations from your own viewpoint. Steadfastly refuse to concede any point to their faith.

You'll be marked off their list.
Well i have found that most groups who come to your door will be expecting to hear your viewpoint and are quite content to listen to others viewpoints.Perhaps things are different in your area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalmom101 View Post
If they start coming by again, I am just going to get right to the point and ask them if they want to come in and have sex. That should do the trick, any of them that don't have lists will for sure when I'm done.
Hmm,be careful what you request,even mormons are human and subject to 'temptations of the flesh'.I suppose it might make for a good test of faith if they decline. If not i suppose the bishop will make it a point to make a list of houses to avoid and put you at the head of it!Im sorry for your problems regarding your exhusband,but you obviously have a more unique situation going on there then the average person would ever have.I would join those who have suggested having your name removed from the church membership roles.It seems strange to me that your ward is showing 'This much interest 'in an inactive member but it seems obvious to me that a great reduction in contact between you and them would benefit both sides at this point.Goodluck to you and i hope in time things work out to where your animosity toward the church will subside.Im sure they are well intentioned,but even those who mean well can damage their cause through to much persistance.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:47 PM

328 posts, read 565,856 times
Quote:
That mormons don't keep lists is a straight up lie.
I never said Mormons don't keep lists. I said that Mormons don't keep "such lists." And that is true. Telling missionaries that you aren't interested in their message will not last longer than the tenure of those particular missionaries.

You need to calm down...

Quote:
Anyone here who has any affiliation with the church (and is honest) can vouch for that. Please go start your own thread and stop arguing about the validity of the assistance being sought in this thread in the first place - assistance to protect people from people like you.
Oh, please... I've done nothing wrong here. I've stayed calm. I haven't "stalked" you into other threads. I've given factual information. I've validated your comments that you shouldn't be hassled if you have asked not to be. I've even given you some suggestions. If you are being visited too often for your liking, talk to the bishop or branch president. Or contact me off-list and I'll personally call him for you. I'd be more than happy to.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
If they start coming by again, I am just going to get right to the point and ask them if they want to come in and have sex. That should do the trick, any of them that don't have lists will for sure when I'm done.
Nope. Even that isn't enough for them to start some new kind of list. They should respect your wishes without your having to do such things.

BTW, how often are they coming by?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Norcalmom,if i could make a somewhat serious suggestion....I would think,and hope,that merely talking to the bishop or stake president would solve your problem...just a suggestion

Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMcNabb View Post
No outrage on my part. Just amazement that a person recommends blatant lying purely to deceive and harm. I was saddened.
Lying? By expressing my viewpoint? Pull-EEZ!

Of course, religious zealots sometimes consider any viewpoint in opposition to theirs to be a lie. And a dangerous threat to their own faith. Pity...

Quote:
Interesting. Even if true (which I don't accept), it just means that you are willing to lie to a person and be dishonest in order to harm and cause distress even though the other person is acting in good faith and trying to do something he thinks will help you.
Pushing their faith on others is in no way helpful, regardless of intent.

Quote:
It is quite sad. Most civilized people rely on kindness and bluntness when faced with sincere but (seemingly) misguided people who are trying to be kind. Your response is, shall we say, a step or two down from that.
In your opinion. That's an important modifier in this case.

Quote:
Yes, you have the opportunity to behave as immorally and rude as you can to as many people as you want. That, too, is permitted in our free society. If we all are, as some have suggested, nothing more than the sum of our thoughts and actions, you must be developing into quite an "interesting" person. Is this way of dealing with people with whom you disagree something that you hope becomes common in our society?

I don't attempt to proselytize to others who don't share my view. I see it as insulting and demeaning. They're entitled to make up their own minds on the matter w/o my interference. Obviously, you think that talking down to others from a position where you're convinced of the "superiority" of your beliefs is somehow "helpful."

Baloney. It's naked condecension.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:18 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
I have had a few door to door "God-salesmen" including LDS Missionaries and I have to admit all have been extremely courteous and left quietly when I explained I was an atheist. I have even been known to invite some just to debate theology with them when extremely bored and I think they were just stunned and did not know quite what to make of me .
As they get such short thrift from people generally I suspect they might have been worried I would drug their coffee ( caffeine -free for LDS of course!) and they would end up chained in the basement in my torture chamber, forced to listen to sinful music and to watch immoral TV programs....

So basically I can't really relate to the harassment some people are getting.

I don't particularly like any cold calling whether religious, political or commercial but I just deal with it politely and firmly and it seems to do the trick.

As long as they are not threatening or aggressive and go away when asked then I just cope with it OK. If I don't feel like it I just don't answer the door.

I almost ( almost but not quite)feel sorry for Missionaries, they must be about the most unpopular callers of all. I guess I have a soft spot for well spoken handsome young men ! :0 They are very sincere in their beliefs and I have always found them quite charming if seriously deluded.

Then again I get really annoyed when Politician tries to convince me to vote for them on my doorstep too.

A neighbour of mine who is in her 80s and a life-long Atheist gets really annoyed and has put a sign to the effect that she cannot be held responsible for her actions if any God-Peddlar tries to cross her threshold. It seems to work !

I don't think anyone should try to convert others but in the great scheme of things there are far worse crimes committed under our wonderful firmament.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:42 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
I have a sign near my front door "No solicitors." It stops no one. I say "Can you read--please don't come to my door." But, whether it's a Jehovah's Witness, a garage door salesman, someone wanting to cut my hedges, a politician (my husband took care of that one) or la di da. Many people don't respect another's wishes and that's where you have to draw the line.
I think of the girl trying to sell me ?? still don't know what, she wouldn't tell me what she was selling, but she wouldn't leave so I told her I have a mean dog (actually an aging husky who barks at no one) and that left a furrow in her eyebrow and off she went.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
I have a sign near my front door "No solicitors." It stops no one. I say "Can you read--please don't come to my door." But, whether it's a Jehovah's Witness, a garage door salesman, someone wanting to cut my hedges, a politician (my husband took care of that one) or la di da. Many people don't respect another's wishes and that's where you have to draw the line.
I think of the girl trying to sell me ?? still don't know what, she wouldn't tell me what she was selling, but she wouldn't leave so I told her I have a mean dog (actually an aging husky who barks at no one) and that left a furrow in her eyebrow and off she went.
People are wrong to ignore your sign. You are justifiably irritated, angry, and/or upset.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have had a few door to door "God-salesmen" including LDS Missionaries and I have to admit all have been extremely courteous and left quietly when I explained I was an atheist. I have even been known to invite some just to debate theology with them when extremely bored and I think they were just stunned and did not know quite what to make of me .
As they get such short thrift from people generally I suspect they might have been worried I would drug their coffee ( caffeine -free for LDS of course!) and they would end up chained in the basement in my torture chamber, forced to listen to sinful music and to watch immoral TV programs....

So basically I can't really relate to the harassment some people are getting.

I don't particularly like any cold calling whether religious, political or commercial but I just deal with it politely and firmly and it seems to do the trick.

As long as they are not threatening or aggressive and go away when asked then I just cope with it OK. If I don't feel like it I just don't answer the door.

I almost ( almost but not quite)feel sorry for Missionaries, they must be about the most unpopular callers of all. I guess I have a soft spot for well spoken handsome young men ! :0 They are very sincere in their beliefs and I have always found them quite charming if seriously deluded.

Then again I get really annoyed when Politician tries to convince me to vote for them on my doorstep too.

A neighbour of mine who is in her 80s and a life-long Atheist gets really annoyed and has put a sign to the effect that she cannot be held responsible for her actions if any God-Peddlar tries to cross her threshold. It seems to work !

I don't think anyone should try to convert others but in the great scheme of things there are far worse crimes committed under our wonderful firmament.
Good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality