Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:17 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times

Advertisements

Although there's a Kingdom Hall in a village about 15 miles down the road and a small Mormon Church in the town 5 miles past that, I haven't had a door-knock from either sect since moving to the boonies 2+ years ago.

My driveway is about 100 yards long. Mebbe that discourages them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:42 PM

197 posts, read 86,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You would call the cops? Really? Because you've got two kids on bikes at your door? You do know there is no law that says you have to answer the door, right?

When you reach the point of vomiting you should be calling the paramedics. Vomiting because two Mormons have knocked on your door is NOT normal.
It's my figure of speech. I used to have a fundamentalist Christian friend. I did my best to be a good friend to her. I even put my conviction behind to go to church with her when she suggested me. When she knew about my sexual orientation, she attempted to change me multiple times. I continued to be her friend until school was over. After that, I wrote her off my life completely. I have realized that it is impossible to be myself and be a friend with Christian fundamentalists. Certainly I have to choose to protect my identity.

I'm not saying that I will immediately call the police after Mormons knock on my door 3 times. If they do that every week or even every other week, I will give me them 3 times to do what they want. If they just knock on my door one every two or three months, I may handle the situation better. You will not find me become aggressive with Christians or Muslims when they attempt to proselytize me. That doesn't mean my stomach doesn't feel sick when they bring "follow our faith or else..." attitude. I can stand what they do to me for a few times. When they corner me, I will use legal force to protect myself.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I assume a lot of this post is hyperbole. I have to say "no thanks" two or three times a year to proselytizers and they always go away immediately. It's not a big enough deal to wear my unbelief on my shirtsleeve by putting a "big" anti-religion sign over my door. I assume that'd make a lot of people uncomfortable, the same as a big "no unbelievers" sign would make me uncomfortable, or the way a "god hates f_gs" sign would make a gay person uncomfortable, etc.

Particularly in this age of crazy people shooting and kidnapping, it is not a Good Idea to tempt people to think of you as the neighborhood crackpot.
At my previous apartment, I did have some Jehovah witnesses and two Mormons who stopped my my place two times in a year. I politely turned them away, and that was that.

My reaction was specific for people who purposefully knock on my door every week. I won't be extreme if I am given some space.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:40 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khminh View Post
At my previous apartment, I did have some Jehovah witnesses and two Mormons who stopped my my place two times in a year. I politely turned them away, and that was that.

My reaction was specific for people who purposefully knock on my door every week. I won't be extreme if I am given some space.
So you dug up a six year old thread to pre-emptively complain about something that isn't happening,and likely won't ever happen in your lifetime??

I doubt you will live anywhere where any group is going to stop by weekly.If they know you aren't interested they would generally prefer to go find someone to talk to who IS interested.I really doubt calling the police is going to do much either,they have more pressing issues in most of the country and knocking on someones door isn't generally illegal.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
So you dug up a six year old thread to pre-emptively complain about something that isn't happening,and likely won't ever happen in your lifetime??

I doubt you will live anywhere where any group is going to stop by weekly.If they know you aren't interested they would generally prefer to go find someone to talk to who IS interested.I really doubt calling the police is going to do much either,they have more pressing issues in most of the country and knocking on someones door isn't generally illegal.
My door was knocked again one week ago. This time it was a baptist. I don't know how she got in the building where only residents could access with a magnetic fob. This triggered my interest in searching for a topic that talked about this issue.

My suggestion is my anticipation if I am bothered every single week. It doesn't get to that point yet. If I am harassed like OP was, my reaction would be a sign, 3 times of bothering, and legal assistance.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:52 AM

88,513 posts, read 84,688,123 times
I wonder where some of you live that this door-knocking thing seems so prevalent. When I lived in North Jersey--which was for the first 50 years of my life--I remember exactly once any religious people coming to my door. They were from a something-or-other Bible Church a few blocks away.

Now where I live in the coastal part of the state, in a condo complex, I've twice in the past five years had Jehovah's witnesses knock at my door. I take their booklet and tell them I will look at it and that seems to make them happy. Then I wish them a good day.

I've never had Mormons come to my door. Worked with a couple of them, but they didn't proselytize at work.

It just seems odd to me that other people claim to have hordes of religious people at their doorstep on a regular basis.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I say "Don't you think it is a bit insulting for you, 50 years younger than I, to claim to have already learned the secret of the universe, that I have been too foolish to have done for myself? I knew what you know 50 years ago, and frankly, it is embarrassing to think back about how dumb I was. If your only goal is to come to my home and insult me in my doorway, please go back to Utah and learn some manners and common decency. And maybe even a bit of humility, if it is not beyond the grasp of your faith."

Old 12-05-2015, 01:18 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Show up at the door naked. Ask them, "Have you heard the good news? Nobody HAS to wear clothes!" Invite them in.

For extra assurance that they'll run screaming, quickly draw a gaping mouth around your bellybutton and two googly-eyes around your nipples as soon as you hear them knocking. Then proudly open the door with a big grin on your face. Works best if you're a large, hairy man.

p.s. I get a lot of "knockers" but they're always respectful. Every once in a while I just won't answer the door but usually I'll be polite and smile and accept the pamphlet. I suppose if they were more intrusive/invasive/insistent I'd be harsher, but really they are all (various denominations, I see JWs, I *think* LDS once in a blue moon and then two ladies...don't know what their denomination is) just cheerful, want to tell me a quick piece of scripture or hand me a leaflet, and wish me a good day. Honestly, although I don't subscribe to any Christian religion, someone smiling and just wanting other people to be happy is perhaps the only part of religion I do like and want to encourage, so I do.

Old 12-05-2015, 01:35 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Stop opening the door when they come by?

Old 12-05-2015, 02:42 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I say "Don't you think it is a bit insulting for you, 50 years younger than I, to claim to have already learned the secret of the universe, that I have been too foolish to have done for myself? I knew what you know 50 years ago, and frankly, it is embarrassing to think back about how dumb I was. If your only goal is to come to my home and insult me in my doorway, please go back to Utah and learn some manners and common decency. And maybe even a bit of humility, if it is not beyond the grasp of your faith."
Sounds like quite an over-reaction to me. Most Mormon missionaries are both humble and polite and are not the slightest bit interested in insulting you. They might very well be interested in having a civil discussion with you about what you believe and why. Oh, and believe it or not, relatively few come from Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality