Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times

Advertisements

I don't want to bug the Christians any more on the Christianity board...let them have that place to congregate...so I thought I'd ask it over here, so that any Christians who want to entertain this idea can do so.

First off, so as not to be misleading, for anyone who doesn't know: I'm not a Christian. I'm just curious. I'm curious about a lot of religions, actually.

My question is: everyone talks about Jesus coming back and how it's "him". Why does he have to come back as a male? If he's God or part of God then why couldn't he be female as well?

Do any Christians here believe the second coming could be a female? If not, why not? Why wouldn't God want both sexes represented?

Also, are there any female prophets in the Bible? If not, why wouldn't there be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 06:48 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
You trip me out with your questions. I love it. You ask the kinds of questions I wish everyone would!

I do believe there is at least one example of a female prophet in the OT and maybe one more in the NT, but I will have to look into that if someone more well-versed in scripture doesn't come by here first.

I don't believe Jesus will return as a woman because the scriptures use the masculine pronoun to describe His return. He's also referred to as the 'King of Kings and Lord of Lords'. But whether He's male or female is really less important than "Will you be ready?"

You know I couldn't resist, JerZ!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:51 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,549,285 times
You know I don't really think about it. I think we relate to God as a male person, and God has related to us as a man [at that time in history] because we are sexual beings and women would have been "nothing' in that society at that time, but God could choose to take on any form to come back - at least in my mind.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
You know I don't really think about it. I think we relate to God as a male person, and God has related to us as a man [at that time in history] because we are sexual beings and women would have been "nothing' in that society at that time, but God could choose to take on any form to come back - at least in my mind.
Well, I won't take this off-topic but your assertion that women were nothing in that time is inaccurate. Women play extremely important roles in the New Testament. How they were treated/viewed in society is not reflected in the way they are admired and exhorted in scripture. Look at Mary, Mary Magdalene, Martha, Phoebe, Priscilla, etc ad nauseum.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:54 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
he could but you know for those that don't wana hear what you've got to say, it really doesn't matter which dress you wear.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM

418 posts, read 708,311 times
He did, and his new name is Britney Spears

Old 11-03-2008, 06:57 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
I agree with Alpha (no surprise there ) Revelation 19:16 "On His robe and thigh was written this title, King of Kings and Lord of Lords".
But like Alpha said, the most important question here is really, are you ready to meet Jesus?????

Old 11-03-2008, 07:08 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Is it also possible that god can be IT? I always wondered why there are specific physical attributes to god? Why do religious "humanize" god? If god is all power (energy in my case), why do you need to apply arms and legs to it, put him/her on the throne and have him/her float in space? Can we say that god (power) is just what it is, a power, something without human characteristics? What makes you believe that god is all "human" like? It seems like if you "humanize" something, it will somehow apply to you in much more personal level, does it make you relate to this god more if you see him/her more as a "human" then a ball of energy for example?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Is it also possible that god can be IT? I always wondered why there are specific physical attributes to god? Why do religious "humanize" god? If god is all power (energy in my case), why do you need to apply arms and legs to it, put him/her on the throne and have him/her float in space? Can we say that god (power) is just what it is, a power, something without human characteristics? What makes you believe that god is all "human" like? It seems like if you "humanize" something, it will somehow apply to you in much more personal level, does it make you relate to this god more if you see him/her more as a "human" then a ball of energy for example?
You actually speak the truth there, whether you know it or not.

The Bible says God is spirit, so that would be without form. I do not believe God is really male or female, as you also said. I think He is referred to as He because of His sovereignty and power, but that He is indeed sexless.

All that being said, the OP was asking about the returning Lion of Judah, Jesus the Christ. And I do believe He will be manifested as a male.(per scripture)

Old 11-03-2008, 07:19 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You actually speak the truth there, whether you know it or not.

The Bible says God is spirit, so that would be without form. I do not believe God is really male or female, as you also said. I think He is referred to as He because of His sovereignty and power, but that He is indeed sexless.
That is very interesting that you did mention a spirit, which is more plausible then "human" in god's case.
That brings me to another question, does spirit experience any feelings such as love? When spirit creates something, how is it done, in our case, how was Adam created, or Eve? Was it done by spirits' mind, but then does spirit has a mind? From what i understand, to have feelings and mind one must have physical body, am i wrong here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality