Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
So you are ok with the passages I quoted? No blinking (as ex-Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin would say) at such horrible scenarios of beating slaves, killing children and raping virgins? Does that transcend time?
I said the TRUTH of the Bible transcends time. And the truth is that God commanded Israel to destroy them because Midianites were responsible for enticing Israel into Baal worship. But Israel took them women as captives rather than killing them. Maybe you should read all of the Book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 08:14 AM

9,732 posts, read 4,062,835 times
Thank you forkpower. If you will go back and reread your post to my post, I think you will see you proved my point.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:17 AM

520 posts, read 895,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Thank you forkpower. If you will go back and reread your post to my post, I think you will see you proved my point.
I was wondering if you could futher explain, keeping in mind the questions i asked.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:27 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I said the TRUTH of the Bible transcends time. And the truth is that God commanded Israel to destroy them because Midianites were responsible for enticing Israel into Baal worship. But Israel took them women as captives rather than killing them. Maybe you should read all of the Book

Because slavery and rape are so much better than simply being murdered.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
Then why should anything god has told us have any meaning to us, if we have a difficult time, or are unable, to understand him?

Does a small child understand everything a parent says?

what need does an infinte, transendiant being have with finite mortal companions? sounds very similar to a kid with an ant farm

You will have put on immortality when you become His companion.

a species with so much hate, bigotry, war, diesease, violence, and all sorts of other unsavory things, this is what god has help us grow into?

The reason for all these things is our disobedience not the Creators.

what god thinks is best for me, and what I think is best for me may be two very different things. And if god does what he thinks is best for me, even though i may disagree, dosent that mean that god is taking away my free will?
All children think that way. And no, you have a right to disobey the Creator so you still have your free will.

Last edited by sandgirl; 11-05-2008 at 10:14 AM..

Old 11-05-2008, 08:53 AM

418 posts, read 708,445 times
Quote:
I've read the book. As SuSu said, how is enslaving and raping women still acceptable? Why is Moses celebrated while Saddam Hussein was vilified? Seems that Moses is on par with Saddam.

Plus there is the other passage I quoted about rape victims being forced to marry their rapists.

Rape seems to be made light of in the Old Testament. I guess that is to be sadly expected when women are treated as less than equal.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 AM

348 posts, read 502,674 times
Quote:
You can't have it both ways. The times I've had it thrown back at me that god gave mankind a free choice when I dare to suggest that he has been criminally irresponsible, and indifferent to human suffering.

And now you are telling me that the Midianites deserved to die because they CHOSE to worship a different god? This justifies mass-murder on gods instructions? Even if you need to believe in such savagery, at least be consistent about free will...

And what about that famous commandment not to kill? More divine hypocrisy, and on a colossal scale, too, when you consider that it has been calculated that god caused the deaths of OVER 227,0000 people - even before the flood, which killed, we are told, everyone on earth, save eight people.

personally, I would be ashamed to be associated with such a god, let alone try and justify his cruelty, or even worse, worship such a monster.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:56 AM

418 posts, read 708,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Good morning JohnJLethal, I got some sleep, I hope it was enough so I can explain this so you will understand it, even if you don't accept it.

God is not some big bully sitting on a throne waiting to strike man down at any mistake. He is infinite and eternal mind. Since we have only a finite mind it is naturally very difficult for us to understand a infinite mind. The Creator created man to be His friend and companion. When He created us in the garden of eden the human race was as a newborn infant. Innocent and without sin. From that time He has worked with us on the level we have grown to. The human race has not yet grown into adulthood. So when we were a child He spoke to us as a child. When you see a small child about to put his hand in a fire the adult yells stop and grabs the child up.

Because the Creator knows what He has created us to be, the things that we do that would hinder us from being what He wants, He warns us against. But just like any small child we often do not understand why He is saying no, even though we have free will to disobey Him. It is never fun to have your hand slapped when you were just trying to have fun like any child would. Some times the things a parent has to do seems mean to the child. While God is love, He is also a good parent and does what is best for His children, even though we might disagree.
Sandgirl, I can understand how this mindset has been propped up so adherents of a religion with gruesome elements won't question their holy texts. The peaceful Muslim will give a similar statement when parallel passages are quoted from the Koran.

For the rest of us who are not bound by this doctrine, we can think freely on the matter. Until you take the red pill and truly see things from the other side, you will forever be caught in the web of religious obfuscation.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:14 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
This is why you don't get it:
1 Corinthians 2:14 "But people who aren't Christians can't understand these truths from God's Spirit. It all sounds foolish to them because only those who have the Spirit can understand what the Spirit means. We who have the Spirit understand these things, but others can't understand us at all".

Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Sandgirl, I can understand how this mindset has been propped up so adherents of a religion with gruesome elements won't question their holy texts. The peaceful Muslim will give a similar statement when parallel passages are quoted from the Koran.

For the rest of us who are not bound by this doctrine, we can think freely on the matter. Until you take the red pill and truly see things from the other side, you will forever be caught in the web of religious obfuscation.

Come on, John. That's the same old mantra that all atheist use. You can do better than that. Like Neo, look at the world around you and take the red pill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality