Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 09:14 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
LOL....If the ark were real, why is there not solid evidence of it....All those that claimed to see it close up didn't even bother to take photos, or perhaps they are just pulling the wool over your eyes....It's a myth Campbell....There is no ark, and there was no world wide flood......There is no evidence for either.
And guys like yourself use to say that King David, and Israels two Kingdoms were both myths also. They (USE) to say there is no evidence for either. Yet after many years, historical discovery proved them wrong. And in Gods own time, the Ark will be revealed as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 09:25 AM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
And guys like yourself use to say that King David, and Israels two Kingdoms were both myths also. They (USE) to say there is no evidence for either. Yet after many years, historical discovery proved them wrong. And in Gods own time, the Ark will be revealed as well.
Actually you are wrong. I have never said there was no historical content in the bible, and have never made any statement one way or another on these issues. It is only the impossible myths like creation and Noah's flood in the bible that I dispute.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Same reason numerous people for years has seen Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster.

Because those "some" are seeing what they want to see. For the objective photo recon interpreter, they have repeatedly said concerning the Ararat Anomoly, "We don't know what it is."

Because if you repeat a lie long enough it becomes truth. The statement, "Almost every ancient culture speak of a worldwide flood" simply isn't true. Many of them do, but not "almost every". Besides, cultural contamination from Christianity accounts for a lot of it.

Nihon Kitty has stated it before and I will a repeat it. IF a flood killed EVERYONE on the planet except Noah and his family, how could there be anyone from these ancient cultures to remember it? It makes no logical sense. But of course I know what you'll say. Noah and his family repopulated the earth and took the story with them to the different parts of the world. Nevermind that the Gilgamesh Epic predates the Noah story and there is a Sumarian version that predates them both.
How could isolated cultures that had no conection with each other state the same lie? How were the Ica's from South America in the 1500s able to speak to the Spanish who sailed there from Spain, and tell them of the Worldwide flood that was kept in their oral traditions? Gilgamesh Epic predates the Biblical story, yet that does no make the Bible untrue. It only means the Gilgamesh account got to the press first. And did the Ica's get their story from the Gilgamesh press? LOL

Old 06-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Local floods...local stories Campbell. Every culture that lives near a major body of water has them, and that is where humans have always preferred to live. Rivers, lakes and oceans were the trade routes of the past.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Actually you are wrong. I have never said there was no historical content in the bible, and have never made any statement one way or another on these issues. It is only the impossible myths like creation and Noah's flood in the bible that I dispute.
I never said you denied King David, or Israels two Kingdoms. I said it was guys (LIKE YOU) who denied truths of the Bible. And in time were proven wrong. They to considered such accounts to be only myths of the Bible.
What some believe to be impossible today, will be shown to be Gods accurate truth in the future.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Local floods...local stories Campbell. Every culture that lives near a major body of water has them, and that is where humans have always preferred to live. Rivers, lakes and oceans were the trade routes of the past.
A great number of the oral traditions do not speak of a local flood, they do speak of a worldwide flood. Your local flood is a myth you want to believe in.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:45 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
A great number of the oral traditions do not speak of a local flood, they do speak of a worldwide flood. Your local flood is a myth you want to believe in.

They didn't know it was just 'local'. Many people thought that their area WAS the entire world, so when their area flooded, they assumed it was everywhere. If I had never gone beyond the small mountain range that surrounds my home area and it flooded, I would think it was a global flood as well.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM

I have never seen anyone here ( guys like me ) deny that there are some historical facts in the bible, have you? That little ploy will not work here. You seem to think that if there are some proven facts in the bible that those facts make the entire bible true, and this is where we disagree.
By the same token the silly myths in that book do not make the proven historical facts in it untrue.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,957,328 times
Sanspeur beat me to it, but does it ever occur to you that the Ica people told a story of a local flood that covered the whole of their "known" world and the Spanish merely assumed that it was the same local flood told of in Noah, Gilgamesh, and the Sumarian accounts? The Ica River regularly overflows it banks due to El Nino conditions and create catastrophic floods, the latest happening in 1998. To the Ica people, that WAS the world.

Cultural contamination was also part of the story. During the Spanish conquests, Queen Isabella declared that American Indians were subjects to her crown. This meant two things: (1) that they could force Native people into slave labor working in gold aand silver mines and (2) they would introduce Indian people to their salvation (which also resulted in (1) as Indian people were force to build their missions.)

Both were done with gusto by the Spanish. And as the Catholic Church has done since its inception, they took the beliefs and stories of local cultures and then Christianized them. Surely you know why you celebrate Christmas on December 25th and Easter on the Vernal Equinox don't you? Why we have a Christmas tree and easter eggs? Local gods became saints, local harvest celebrations became Christian Feast Days, and yes, local flood stories became the world wide flood of Noah.

It's that simple.

Last edited by Fullback32; 06-12-2009 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: Added explanation

Old 06-12-2009, 10:53 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,660 times
Quote:
Gilgamesh Epic predates the Biblical story, yet that does no make the Bible untrue. It only means the Gilgamesh account got to the press first. And did the Ica's get their story from the Gilgamesh press? LOL
Surely if The Bible is the word of the one true GOD he wouldn't let a false story "get to press first"

The Epic of Gilgamesh predates the Bible, so that makes the Bible a cheap, plagiarized copy (and it definitely is, in all areas - Old and New Testament).

You should really be worshiping Enlil or Marduk. And in actuality you pretty much are, as Yahweh, his wife Asherah and the other Israelite gods are a direct descendant of the Sumerian/Babylonian gods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality