Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 12:09 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,594,108 times

Advertisements

Hey Jesus took several loaves of bread and a few fish and fed 5000 people ,so anything is possible through God. He is in control and oversees everything,He is waiting for the non-saved along with the ones who have turned their backs on Him to seek Him for their salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 PM

418 posts, read 709,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Hey Jesus took several loaves of bread and a few fish and fed 5000 people ,so anything is possible through God. He is in control and oversees everything,He is waiting for the non-saved along with the ones who have turned their backs on Him to seek Him for their salvation.
Superman can fly around the Earth so fast, he can reverse time. Spider-Man can crawl up skyscrapers. The Incredible Hulk can jump over 2 miles.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:19 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,594,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Superman can fly around the Earth so fast, he can reverse time. Spider-Man can crawl up skyscrapers. The Incredible Hulk can jump over 2 miles.
Only on Television with trick photography and comic books.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,690,744 times
Quote:
I consider the bible a beautiful work of fiction, nothing but smoke and mirrors to get the masses to conform to one belief so they are more easily 'herded'. To each his or her own.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 AM

353 posts, read 553,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
How long do animals live? You're saying that he collected animals for a 100 or so years, so if i'm understanding this right, he would need male and female animal of each kind to be with him at all time for 100 or so years, what happened if the pair died in around year 99? Did he go and look for a new pair, who supervised the animals then?
Yeah, not a hard thing to do, but in a myth, anything is possible.
Never said it took a hundred years I said he had a hundred years.

Quote:
MontanaGuy
The difficulty in the plausibilty of such an event as Noah's arc just keeps getting tougher trying to find explanations for seemingly impossible situations. Here's just a few of them:
1.The arc described in the Bible isn't big enough to hold all of the land species in the world.
The bible doesn't say every "species" its says every animal of its kind. Feline, Canine, Bovine, Equine, Assinine etc..
There would have been plenty of room.
Quote:
2.There is a finite amount of water in our planet and no reasonable explanation has described where the water came from or where it went after the flood.
Where does the water come from or go to after ANY flood. ONce the flood was over the mountains rose up from the oceans

Quote:
3. An ocean covering all of the earth for an extended period of time would kill all of the vegetation.
That question poses as much of a problem to evolutionists as it does creationists. How did plants originally start to grow in Hawaii. The island started as a volcano.
Answer that question "scientifically" and you have the answer to YOUR question.

Quote:
4. When the flood was over the animals would all die because if they were predators there would only be two pair of their natural prey and if they ate them they'd go extinct and the predators in turn would starve to death. Forget about becoming vegetarians, the flood would have killed off all vegetation.
The bible says Noah took Seven of the clean animals and two of the unclean. There were extra animals for eating.

Quote:
The more you consider all of the aspects of such an event it becomes quite apparent that this is mythology and not history.
A lot of mythology has turned out to BE history.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 AM

33,605 posts, read 37,254,591 times
Your answers sound like little kids playing "Let's pretend"... Face it, the flood story could not possibly have happened except in some old scribe's imagination. The ark itself is an impossibility no all wooden boat that size would float, let alone burdened down with 16,000 animals and the supplies to feed them.

The mountains rose up after the flood huh? First time I've heard that one!

Old 11-09-2008, 12:40 AM

353 posts, read 553,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your answers sound like little kids playing "Let's pretend"... Face it, the flood story could not possibly have happened except in some old scribe's imagination. The ark itself is an impossibility no all wooden boat that size would float, let alone burdened down with 16,000 animals and the supplies to feed them.

The mountains rose up after the flood huh? First time I've heard that one!
So instead of proving me wrong your going to resort to hyperboley and insults.
Do you think your blind faith in science is any better than another persons blind faith in religion?
I can back up everything I say. Can you?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:51 AM

418 posts, read 709,433 times
Quote:
I'm glad you made that connection. Now just apply it to your own comic book (bible) and we see eye to eye.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:26 AM

134 posts, read 145,938 times
Call me crazy, but I have no faith in anything. I don't believe in evolution, I don't believe in God, I don't believe in the Big Bang. I believe in questioning, and really have no interest in finding the answers. If I had the answers then the questions would no longer exist, and life would be rather dull. I simply cannot understand anyones ability to put all their faith and life into something that they do not know is fact. Why is it so important for people to KNOW where we came from and to KNOW where we go? You know, my girlfriend was an athiest until her grandmother died, and now God has become a crutch for her. She believes so that she doesn't have to face the fact that her grandmother is gone. This is fine, and I respect it, but I feel that many people believe in silly mythology simply out of fear, or need. If you feel the need to have an afterlife, and you cannot handle the idea of no longer existing, of course you will blindly accept anything that tells you that you can exist after this life.

I think my favorite argument against God is simple: Why would God create humankind knowing that they would sin, only to punish them for the sins? Is he a bored sadist? After all, it was he/she/it who created us, and he/she/it who punished us for not obeying him, and yet he/she/it is omniscient and knew that this would happen. Another thing that always got me: how is it that humans seem to know so much about God? Really, I find it interesting that people will argue things like they know God. For example, ask someone if God can create a rock so heavy that he cannot lift it and you get the silly argument that he cannot, because he is omnipotent and doing so would go against his own omnipotence. How the hell would anyone know the answer to that?

Or, ask a Christian, if God is omniscient, then HOW is it possible that we have free will? If we have free will, then God does not know our decisions, and therefore he cannot possibly know the outcome of our lives because they are all based on our decisions, right (simple logic). However, Christians always tell me that we have free will, but God knows our choices, and therefore we still make the choices and yet God knows them. First off, how would you know that? How does anyone know that their invisible man knows our choices, and yet we get to make them? Second, how does that argument even begin to work? It's like rewording it so that it looks like it answers the question; and, while it does sound good, it still does not answer the question. The question still stands. If God knows what choices we make, then we cannot go against those choices (say we wanted to, or we had a sudden change of heart) because doing so would destroy the idea that God is omniscient.

And finally, how can you possibly believe in a God that creates a world, loves everything within the world, has complete power over the world, and yet still allows children to die from diseases, wars to occur, and all the other horrible things that happen. You can attribute it to free will, but if you have an all-powerful being that has the ability to end it and make things peaceful, then s/he/it's a really sick being if they allow it to go on. Serious, if you had two dogs and those dogs were fighting eachother and literally trying to kill eachother, would you not do what you could to stop it? If you did not, you'd be a sick individual. And I do believe that if there was a God, I would not bow before him anyway, because he/she/it has abandoned us, or is one completely sick individual.

Christians have no logic behind their arguments. Those who do not believe do not need faith, and they really do not need to argue anything. They do not believe, simple. Yet, Christians always say that it is athiests with the faith, and that athiest needs to prove that God does not exist. That's outright silly. I used an example in another thread, but I will not bring that in here. Still, Christians need to look into circular logic. You cannot use the Bible to prove any of your beliefs. You first have to prove that the Bible is the inspired word of God, but that means you first have to prove that God exists. So, first you prove God exists, and THEN you can say "well, the Bible says in John chapter...". If I am questioning the author of a book, saying that he is biased against my opinion and that his research is BS, you better show me the research, or show me proving that he is not biased and that his research is not BS, and it better not be a written statement by the guy himself since it just happens to be the guy I am questioning in the first place.

EDIT: I may use "he" for God in some places, but who cares really, since he does not exist, and assuming his gender doesn't really matter anyway.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:41 AM

134 posts, read 145,938 times
One last thing...

You see, I don't really take issue with what you people want to believe. If you want to believe in aliens, Santa Clause, flying racoons, or even God that is perfectly fine with me. However, once you try to make you Bible based morals law, that is when I have a problem with it. You must prove that the basis of these laws (The Bible) is true before anyone should accept them. That is on you. If you were to prove that The Bible is in fact true, then fine, no problem. However, people should not be forced to accept your faith and beliefs simply because the majority believes it.

I don't really mind the abortion argument because I do not think it is completely religious. I have a very difficult time with the idea of late-term abortions. I think there is a very simple moral code that all people have (or at least should have), and that is do unto others as you would like them to do unto you, and I don't think most people would like their life to be ended. It's really a simple rule, and the only rule that is really needed. We do not need ten commandments, just that simple rule. However, I do have a serious issue with your Bible based idea of Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve. Keep your religious beliefs to yourself until you can prove that there is a basis for them. Stop trying to shove your beliefs down everyones throat by legislating them. Once you try to legislate your beliefs, it is on your shoulders to PROVE them -- prove their basis.

END NOTE: It is never up to the person arguing against a statement to prove that the statement is true or false. It is up to the person who initially made the statement to prove the statement is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality