Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 01:33 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Churches already have the freedom to marry or not marry who they please. This is just a fear tactic used by the anti-gay fundies.
Just wait and see. Some far left wacko will try and pull a "gotcha" on a church unwilling to marry two gay persons and it will result in a lawsuit.

Mark my words.

Again, I think these activists represent a small minority of the gay community just as the extreme anti gay hateful types represent a tiny fraction of Christians.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,195 times
My whole concern isn't really even about gay marriage. It's about the pure hate or Christianity some of the folks have on the far left seem to have and the contempt they have for religious people.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:04 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
For those Christians that claim that marriage is a Christian institution and claim the right to say who should and who should not get married

II. CHRISTIANITY, HOMOSEXUALITY AND THE LAW IN CANADA
In Canada, as elsewhere in North America, homosexuality was widely tolerated for millennia prior to the arrival of Europeans. Same-sex marriage was traditional among many native communities until Europeans came with a mission to convert the “heathen savages” to Christianity.

The Canadian Earthquake.

http://www.nesl.edu/lawrev/VOL38/3/12-Elliott-PDF.pdf

Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
For those Christians that claim that marriage is a Christian institution and claim the right to say who should and who should not get married

II. CHRISTIANITY, HOMOSEXUALITY AND THE LAW IN CANADA
In Canada, as elsewhere in North America, homosexuality was widely tolerated for millennia prior to the arrival of Europeans. Same-sex marriage was traditional among many native communities until Europeans came with a mission to convert the “heathen savages” to Christianity.

The Canadian Earthquake.

http://www.nesl.edu/lawrev/VOL38/3/12-Elliott-PDF.pdf
And we all know what became of the mighty Native American civilizations that once existed here.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 PM

272 posts, read 484,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
It's about the pure hate or Christianity some of the folks have on the far left seem to have and the contempt they have for religious people.
Who is being hateful?

Your only seeing half the picture. Christianity from it's beginnings has always been aggressive and hateful towards groups of people it has deemed evil or unworthy. Pagans, women, and today gays - just to name a few. It's religious people that has started this whole mess about gay marriage. Churches are the ones that put this on the ballot and are financing the majority of it. The left is only reacting. If you don't want the left to reacting don't enforce your religious values on the entire population.

Last edited by technobarbie; 11-10-2008 at 04:48 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 05:13 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
And we all know what became of the mighty Native American civilizations that once existed here.
Well I do anyway...More than half died of the smallpox spread unintentionally by Europeans, mainly Christian missionaries...What is your version of what happened to them?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:47 PM

348 posts, read 502,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
This is very scary and may be just the tip of the iceberg as far as what we Christians may have to deal with now that the Democrats have full control of our government.

I feel homosexuality is a choice and immoral but feel strongly that it is wrong to discriminate against them. Any anti gay violence is reprehensible and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Seems they don't feel the same about other peoples rights however......
So you find this very scary? But it was OK when minorities were forced to live in fear, whether black, gay, or any other despised minority?

But please relax, as you belong to a bullying majority yourself, I predict you will be quite safe from lynch mobs or q***r -bashers, or their equivalent.

It's the age old story being played out yet again in our time - suppress the human rights of any minority group for long enough and eventually the lid will blow off. If you are 'inconvenienced' by the social effects of the fall-out, it's only what you should have expected.

Suppression of equality will always result in such a reaction, eventually, it's how a civilised society moves forward. You say you do not discriminate, but that's a cop-out. Until you drop your moral condemnation as well, the insult will persist - reluctant acceptance of change is not enough.

Every responsible citizen, gay or otherwise, deserves your Full respect, and if it's not in your heart to give it, then it is you who must change. Ranting against the inevitable march of humane enlightenment is merely an attempt to set the clock back.

The Civil Rights movement of the 1960s was the long-awaited turning point for black people, and we gays are no less committed in our fight to overcome institutionalised prejudice. If this scares you, then you worry needlessly, because an equal society is ultimately more beneficial to us all, including you.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:24 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,147,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
When they pass a law criminalizing churches who hold to the position that homosexuality is sinful then yes, they are infringing on my rights. Congress already passed such a law but Bush vetoed it. Obama will be eager to sign it.
I personally hope Obama does sign it.

The paranoia in this country, as well as the fear-mongering of some of you, is astounding. I'll bet some of you didn't even realize the Matthew Shepard Act specifically addressed freedom-of-speech issues. The bill stated that nothing in the act nor any amendments made by the act were to be construed as prohibiting any expressions which were protected by already-existing laws. It particularly stated that any activities/expressions protected by the right to free speech as guaranteed under the First Amendment would NOT be restricted.

For the LIFE of me, I don't understand the paranoia among evangelical fundamentalist Christians who whined it would take away their right to preach against homosexuality or express any OTHER beliefs.

It's that kind of radical thinking which is the TRUE danger in this country. When people make up bold-faced lies based on their own paranoia, it scares the crap out of me.

Moderator cut: orphaned

Last edited by Alpha8207; 11-11-2008 at 03:54 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 07:30 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
So you find this very scary? But it was OK when minorities were forced to live in fear, whether black, gay, or any other despised minority?

But please relax, as you belong to a bullying majority yourself, I predict you will be quite safe from lynch mobs or q***r -bashers, or their equivalent.

It's the age old story being played out yet again in our time - suppress the human rights of any minority group for long enough and eventually the lid will blow off. If you are 'inconvenienced' by the social effects of the fall-out, it's only what you should have expected.

Suppression of equality will always result in such a reaction, eventually, it's how a civilised society moves forward. You say you do not discriminate, but that's a cop-out. Until you drop your moral condemnation as well, the insult will persist - reluctant acceptance of change is not enough.

Every responsible citizen, gay or otherwise, deserves your Full respect, and if it's not in your heart to give it, then it is you who must change. Ranting against the inevitable march of humane enlightenment is merely an attempt to set the clock back.

The Civil Rights movement of the 1960s was the long-awaited turning point for black people, and we gays are no less committed in our fight to overcome institutionalised prejudice. If this scares you, then you worry needlessly, because an equal society is ultimately more beneficial to us all, including you.

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. - quoting Aaron Satie in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Drumhead" (emphasis mine).

That quote is my guiding principle, and has been since I first heard it.

Perhaps there is wisdom to be found on television, after all.

Last edited by FredNotBob; 11-10-2008 at 07:41 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 07:46 PM

418 posts, read 708,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably. - quoting Aaron Satie in the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "The Drumhead" (emphasis mine).

That quote is my guiding principle, and has been since I first heard it.

Perhaps there is wisdom to be found on television, after all.
/high five for Star Trek reference. I watch an episode most evenings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality