U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 12:42 AM

14,743 posts, read 30,321,913 times

Advertisements

YES!

If a person has to keep hitting me over the head with an agenda to CONVERT or to foretell DOOM AND GLOOM or to be SELF-RIGHTEOUS, and it's frequent enough, then I think they're poison...and chase them away.

I was raised Catholic, lapsed for about 5-10 years (boredom) and came back to practicing. I would NEVER want someone to become a Catholic unless they found it on their own. I have NEVER evangelized, especially when someone already has a religion. It's a violation of boundaries, in my mind.

Essentially, the few things I get from my religion are to try to live a life where I'm honest, treat others decently and work hard. In a nutshell, doesn't that encapsulate the New Testament? If so, why do I care which religion organization someone belongs to? I go to church to have a support system that sort of processes it the same way. I've found a few dogmatic Catholics, that I steer clear of, and a lot of "down-to-earth" / "don't wear it on your sleeve" practical ones.

So, do you find religious fanaticism offensive and suspicious?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 12:51 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,569,146 times
Yes it also irritates the hell out of me. I know from living here people do not try to force religious beliefs onto you or pressure/convert you into their line of thinking. I live amongst catholics and protestants as some of my family are Italian and some are Scottish and we get on great, religion is not an issue.

Unfortunately when i visited the deep south of America i had religion shoved down my throat and i was treated as an outsider, totally ignored and treated like a criminal because i wasn't baptist. Frankly i would never move there. The people i was around were nothing but fakes and hyprocrits, they preach but never practice what they preached. People like that make me sick as true chrisitans do not act like that i was very angered to say the least i was not impressed.

I was also forced to attend their church which made me feel even more uncomfortable. I cannot express how it feels to have religion forced onto you its not pleasant.

Im sure not everyone is like that there but the ones i met were fanatics and boy was it a culture shock. I've never experianced that sort of treatement in Scotland let alone Europe.

And lets not forget about the bitter racism that is still engrained there.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:26 AM

418 posts, read 671,864 times
Yes I do.

When given power, it's dangerous. We've seen the consequences of that from the Bush regime in terms of wars, fascist laws limiting rights of citizens and secret prisons such as Guantanomo Bay. (That's mild compared to the Inquisition or burning of witches, that sort of thing.)

Fundamentalists usually are suspicious of science. Climate Change is a perfect example of that. I don't know a single Fundamentalist who accepts Climate Change as a result of human action. Many reasons, but one is that the ice core data itself is +650k years old. In order to accept the data, a Fundamentalist would have to invalidate their belief in a young Earth. How is this dangerous? When Climate Change begins to cause catastrophic floods in low-lying areas like Bangladesh for instance, creating millions of refugees, that becomes a critical problem. Other places are at risk such as Florida and England to name a few.

Pseudo-theocracy situations seek to harm a minority at the whim of a majority. Removing the right of same-sex in marriage in California for instance comes to mind. The main opponent...religion.

We can go on and on with examples.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,329,295 times
I don't think people should shove it down anyones throat, but we as christians must tell the truth - that we through faith in Jesus Christ have found. If hell is real, as the Bible teaches it is, but I don't warn people about it - then am I not guilty of ommiting to warn people? If someone landed up in hell - and I'd been their friend and never talked about it - wouldn't they curse me and say "Why didn't they tell me about this place?" So Christians have a responsibility to speak out. But if someone just is NOT interested, then that is their choice. Only God can save someone anyone. Becoming a christian is a Spiritual thing - God has to actually move on the persons soul - breathe his spirit of llife into them. No man or woman can do this. Only God.
Religious fanatics - Football fanatics, music fanatics, science fanatics. We ALL get excited about something. Yes, I am excited to be a Christian, to know Jesus as my saviour and the peace, joy and hope he gives. Yes, I am excited to be on my way to heaven. This excitement can be offensive to some - but Jesus was offensive to some when he was on the earth - so why should I expect anything different?

I want to live my life - not just talking about Jesus, but doing all I can to love others, help others and be a light in the darkness of the world. And all Chrsitians should be aiming to do the same. If someone says they are a christian but hate their brother - well, you know a tree by its fruit. And not all those who say they are christians really are. Thats the problem.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:17 AM

7,916 posts, read 17,436,939 times
Yes, I am distrustful of religious fanatics but I would include fanatics from every other activity that people engage in (with the exception of sports-it's ok to be a football fanatic). We have racist fanatics, political fanatics etc. and the ones who promote violence to acheive their goals are of course the most dangerous. The whacko Rev Phelps is of course the very definition of a religious fanatic but I see virtually no support for him among mainstream religious people. I wouldn't label someone as a fanatic just because their views are far outside of the norm. I don't really care what people believe, I'm more concerned about their behavior and if their behavior infringes on the rights of others as they aggressively promote their agenda then it becomes a problem. I wouldn't label someone who is simply deeply religious and believes in things that I find preposterous to be a fanatic but they cross the line when they engage in behavior like protesting at the funerals of soldiers or gay people. I also would consider a few of the tv preachers whose primary goal is to line their pockets with money and live lives of luxury while they spew out ridiculous rhetoric to their millions of followers to be fanatics.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:29 AM

3,798 posts, read 6,359,272 times
Yes, a religious fanantic is very dangerous IMO.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:40 AM

5,716 posts, read 15,140,642 times
Yes, they make me rather uncomfortable. They can't eat an apple without wondering if it will send them to Hell. Not a way to live life.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:12 AM

272 posts, read 453,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
So, do you find religious fanaticism offensive and suspicious?
Unless they are trying to manipulate the law to fit their moral code, I actually find them amusing. They get puffed up very easily.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:31 AM

16,758 posts, read 35,749,753 times
Religious fanatics bug me. I ask only one thing of them: mind your own goddam business when it comes to me. Keep it to yourself. That's all I ask. That and don't come to my door. Is that asking too much? I was accosted outside the doughnut shop this morning by a JW. Stop that.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:08 PM

4,469 posts, read 6,612,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
I don't think people should shove it down anyones throat, but we as christians must tell the truth - that we through faith in Jesus Christ have found.
You guys seem to have difficulty with the "if they don't listen shake the dust from your feet and move on" part, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality