Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:11 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times

Advertisements

Ha ha ha.....Athiests ARE so closed minded aren't they?!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:13 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
I don't propose anything because the teaching of evolution is consistent with Hindu beliefs. Teach science in public schools and faith in temples, churches, and homes.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:21 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
Why should we teach only evolution and not creationism? Evolution has NOT been proven. It takes more faith to beleive that we came from a big bang, then that we were created. But I guess that is for another thread.
Hindu beliefs are wrong. We live ONCE and then the judgment. No second chances. No reincarnation. And there is only ONE God. Not many.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
I don't propose anything because the teaching of evolution is consistent with Hindu beliefs. Teach science in public schools and faith in temples, churches, and homes.
Wait, wait, wait.....

Couple of questions:

1-I thought you said you had a problem with people organizing to deny legal rights to others; and

2-It appears that since the issue at hand (evolution) lines up with your world view, you're fine with denying others that same right.

Now I see why we ALL need to 'question the faithful'

Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Why should we teach only evolution and not creationism? Evolution has NOT been proven. It takes more faith to beleive that we came from a big bang, then that we were created. But I guess that is for another thread.
Hindu beliefs are wrong. We live ONCE and then the judgment. No second chances. No reincarnation. And there is only ONE God. Not many.
My dear Jenna,
Your chauvinism betrays the love and compassion your God (which is the same as my God) teaches. In my faith, it is a grave sin to say another's belief (or non-belief) is wrong - that is because to do so means you are elevating yourself to the level of the Godhead.

In Hinduism, we believe in one God with many faces and aspects - not "many" Gods. It is not too dissimilar to the Christians' holy trinity of God, Jesus, and the holy spirit...are you saying Christians are polytheistic?

As for evolution, I studied anthropology and archeology for many years and it is hard to deny that man evolved from other primates - the scientific evidence supports this.

I'm sorry that you are filled with such bitterness and hatred that you would say such things and will pray that your hardened heart open up to feel love and compassion.

Peace,

XP

Old 11-08-2008, 08:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
They do teach creationism in religious education.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Wait, wait, wait.....

Couple of questions:

1-I thought you said you had a problem with people organizing to deny legal rights to others; and

2-It appears that since the issue at hand (evolution) lines up with your world view, you're fine with denying others that same right.

Now I see why we ALL need to 'question the faithful'

My dear Alpha,
1. I do! I was speaking of proposition 8 in California which changed the laws allowing gay marriage. It is no secret that several religious organizations lined up against it by donating millions to the cause and instructing their people to vote a certain way - pushing their faith into public law and thereby voting to remove a legal right from another citizen.

2. I'm not denying anyone the right to teach their children evolution or anything else they want to, I just don't believe faith-based beliefs should be taught in public schools but at home or in some other private setting. Its about the separation of church and state. No one is trying to reach into your private sphere, just protecting the public sphere so all have the same rights.

Peace,

XP

Old 11-08-2008, 08:52 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
My dear Alpha,
2. I'm not denying anyone the right to teach their children evolution or anything else they want to, I just don't believe faith-based beliefs should be taught in public schools but at home or in some other private setting. Its about the separation of church and state. No one is trying to reach into your private sphere, just protecting the public sphere so all have the same rights.
Teaching about all religions in school doesn't break the separation of church and state. I think it's important for children to learn about others belief's, it makes them more tolerant of others in the future.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
I've found my greeting cards for this year!

Old 11-08-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Teaching about all religions in school doesn't break the separation of church and state. I think it's important for children to learn about others belief's, it makes them more tolerant of others in the future.
In America, children learn about almost all religions in public school, they just aren't supposed to be instructed in their dogma.
Big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality