Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times

Advertisements

With a reported 10 million members worldwide, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster seems to be right behind Sikhism (at 12 million) among the world's major religions. I'm surprised that there are not more FSM discussions here on CD.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

By the way, as a Hindu, my beliefs are not compatible with FSMism primarily due to the meatball aspect of the deity they worship.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:08 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
Well pastafarianism is less of a religion and more of a statement against intelligent design.

We all know the cases where ID has been argued. Those who propose it always say that *wink**wink* something *wink**wink* must have directed evolution while simultaneously implying(or even asserting) the abrahamaic god. The truth is that since we don't really know what that *wink**wink* something *wink**wink* is, then it's just as reasonable to say that it is a flying spaghetti monster as it is to say an anthropomorphic deity did it.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:16 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
All hail his noodley appendages

http://ts1.images.live.com/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=2475550646416&id=313a46bc822ea8bc 856133465a451bec (broken link)

Old 11-08-2008, 06:51 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acegirl View Post
All hail his noodley appendages
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-men!

Besides, how can we discuss the theology of the FSM? Our mouths are always full of his delicious noodly goodness, and it's not polite to talk with your mouth full.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:42 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
With a reported 10 million members worldwide, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster seems to be right behind Sikhism (at 12 million) among the world's major religions. I'm surprised that there are not more FSM discussions here on CD.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

By the way, as a Hindu, my beliefs are not compatible with FSMism primarily due to the meatball aspect of the deity they worship.
I am often amazed that people mock God and turn into jokes what is precious and holy.
Be aware that "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom" - so all this foolishness comes from lack of reverance or fear for a mighty, awesome God.
But God is real and time is short. Don't make an amusement of the seriousness of life and eternity.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:48 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
I am often amazed that people mock God and turn into jokes what is precious and holy.
Be aware that "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom" - so all this foolishness comes from lack of reverance or fear for a mighty, awesome God.
But God is real and time is short. Don't make an amusement of the seriousness of life and eternity.
Having to "fear god" is one reason many people leave him behind. Living in fear of that sort is enough to make anyone paranoid.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:58 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,030 times
Do you fear the law? You know if you drive through a red light you will get in trouble. Well, fearing God is the begining of wisdom - because he has his laws. Humans break them all the time. God sent Jesus to die for the sins of people because God knew that we were enslaved to our sins. But, if we reject Jesus and turn our backs on his Grace extended to us then we are GUILTY through and through of the worst kind of sin. We should fear God - in a reverent way - because he has made the way for us - all we need to do is believe and trust in him. We should fear God - because if we turn our back on the truth and the love he would freely give - then we are still 'dead in our sins' and on our way to a lost eternity.
So fear is a kind of 'respect' and 'reverance' which leads to wisdom and life - the realisation of how mighty and awesome God is.
And fear is an awareness that God is also a judge - he is not mocked. We all must give account to him one day.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:03 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Oh seriously, lighten up... God likes spaghetti too~

Old 11-08-2008, 08:06 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,862,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
My dear Jenna,
I do not question or judge someone else's faith, whether it is in Vishnu, Yaweh, Allah, Jesus, or a pile of spagehetti. I do however sometimes question the faithful - for example when they organize to deny legal rights to someone else.

Peace,

XP

Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,883,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
My dear Jenna,
I do not question or judge someone else's faith, whether it is in Vishnu, Yaweh, Allah, Jesus, or a pile of spagehetti. I do however sometimes question the faithful - for example when they organize to deny legal rights to someone else.

Peace,

XP
You mean, for instance, the 'legal right' to present multiple world views on our origins in an educational setting?

I agree!

Good on you!

So what would you propose we do about those close-minded atheists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality