Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:33 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times

Advertisements

In case anyone wants to know, marriage is NEVER mentioned in the Constitution anywhere. If this is the case, then does this make the whole issue a moot point as far as it's unconstitutionality?

Old 11-11-2008, 02:32 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,146,119 times
You know, out of ALL the countless times this subject has been debated, never ONCE has anyone accepted my challenge - which is this:

If you're straight, and you're married, then I dare you to try and turn off your love for your spouse. Not your sexual feelings. Your LOVE. That part of your heart, mind, soul, spirit that feels indescribably connected to the one you're in love with. Try to deny it within yourself. Push it out of the way.

Try to imagine NOT loving the person you're in love with. Try to repress how you feel about your spouse. Try to imagine the yearning you have inside to be next to that person....to hold them, to gaze at them, to glance at them from across the room and think "that person is mine"...and then turn it off, knowing that you can never experience life with them because that love is considered an abomination. No matter how much you may feel otherwise, it's simply not permitted. Try to imagine marrying a person you don't feel a deep connection with.

After you've done that, THEN come back in here and tell us what the experience was like.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:24 PM

Try to imagine how God feels. He created all things and then created us last because He created us especially for Him because He did it out of love. Try to imagine how He must have felt when the Israelites continually turned away from Him because they wanted to do things their way. Try to imagine how God must have felt having to watch His Only Begotten Son die on the Cross for the sake of all of our sins, yes ALL of our sins, past, present and future. Try to imagine how after so many years, people still continue to forsake and deny Him and His Word because they want to live their lives their own way, regardless of what anyone else says. Now, try to imagine what it will be like when we all have to stand before Him and answer why we didn't listen to Him when He gave us an inordinate amount of chances to hear Him while we were alive on this earth. I can only imagine.....

Old 11-11-2008, 03:28 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
I just cannot do it. I live in the real world, not an imaginary one.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
Well, I can see this has become a heated debate. I finally can see the mind set of the people who voted against the union of gays and I must say, I am stunned at it working in CA. I can clearly see how the Taliban worked, or Nazi sympathisers were drawn in. This is not meant in a "bashing" way, just historical. I really had no idea there was enough "minority" Christains with such sever conviction to become the majority in a vote. I was mistaken!

I really did just want to know how you felt, and what your motive was for your vote. To me, being a mother of 3, I am worried that the "Christain"
movement, (can't think of another word) will have this much control in my childrens futures. I can see that it is time to get up off my butt and help
gay people gain this important freedom so that my children have these freedoms as well. I will fight for the right of my children to have freedom to be gay, Christain, or a "gay Christain" if this is what they choose. The fact that this is viewed as a sin disturbs me, hence my "Nazi" comparison.

I too, believe you are born gay. I believe you are born into a world with all kinds of pre concieved notions of how you "should" be as well. I would like to see a end to all sterio-typing, especially if it becomes, "by law", ok to do so.
I believe the CA vote to banning "gay marriage" will have terrible consequences.
I believe it will invoke a lot of hate crimes against gay men, lesbian woman and children. This concerns me, and brings about the question of how it would be "ok" in the eyes of Christains for this to happen as collateral damage in their fight for religious laws. This again reminds me of the Taliban.

I would hope that there could be an understanding on this issue, but there is no arguement I can see that would work if you can simply dismiss everything said for "Gods Word". If I said the God I believed in doesn't see it the same way you could simply say, then your God is wrong. No room for a debate there. This is beyond conversation. You can easily say that response to any and everything.

I do thank you for your replies. I finally understand. I don't like what I understand, but I do believe in your freedom to express it for it allows me to act accordingly.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:13 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
This had something to do with it, I think. Mormons spent around $20 million for Prop 8!!! article here

I saw a picket sign in a photo that said "Mormons have 10 wives, and I can't have one?"

Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM

Has anyone considered the violence that is being suggested by members of the gay community that were entered onto a gay website. Here are some of the comments left by writers to this site:

"Can someone in CA please go burn down the Mormon temples there, PLEASE. I mean seriously. DO IT."

"I'm going to give them something to be f--ing scared of....I'm a radical who is now on a mission to make them all pay for what they've done."

"Burn their f--ing churches to the ground, and then tax the charred timbers."

"I hope the No on 8 people have a long list and long knives."

"I swear, I'd murder people with my bare hands this morning."

"Trust me. I've got a big list of names of mormons and catholics [sic] that were big supporters of Prop 8....As far as mormons and catholics...I warn them to watch their backs."

This is not made up by some christian group to make the gay community look bad. This is written by folks who are angry with the outcome of the CA proposition. I don't care if you agree or disagree with gay marriage, this is beyond comprehension. Even though we will disagree on issues such as this, there is no place for comments or threats of harm or death to either party involved. I pray that this will open our eyes to just how serious this situation is and what possible consequences lie ahead for us. It is my sincere prayer that no one is harmed or killed as a result of this ongoing action and hope that cooler heads will prevail on both sides. I am certain that God will not be pleased with actions taken by either group toward one another. May God bless us and keep from harm.

Last edited by urbanlemur; 11-11-2008 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: highlight

Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Here is the other side of the story.

Hate websites with a religious connection

Old 11-11-2008, 08:41 PM

You didn't get the gist of my post did you? I said that I hope that NEITHER side takes it upon themselves to cause any harm, injury or death to anyone because of this issue.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Has anyone considered the violence that is being suggested by members of the gay community that were entered onto a gay website. Here are some of the comments left by writers to this site:

"Can someone in CA please go burn down the Mormon temples there, PLEASE. I mean seriously. DO IT."

"I'm going to give them something to be f--ing scared of....I'm a radical who is now on a mission to make them all pay for what they've done."

"Burn their f--ing churches to the ground, and then tax the charred timbers."

"I hope the No on 8 people have a long list and long knives."

"I swear, I'd murder people with my bare hands this morning."

"Trust me. I've got a big list of names of mormons and catholics [sic] that were big supporters of Prop 8....As far as mormons and catholics...I warn them to watch their backs."

This is not made up by some christian group to make the gay community look bad. This is written by folks who are angry with the outcome of the CA proposition. I don't care if you agree or disagree with gay marriage, this is beyond comprehension. Even though we will disagree on issues such as this, there is no place for comments or threats of harm or death to either party involved. I pray that this will open our eyes to just how serious this situation is and what possible consequences lie ahead for us. It is my sincere prayer that no one is harmed or killed as a result of this ongoing action and hope that cooler heads will prevail on both sides. I am certain that God will not be pleased with actions taken by either group toward one another. May God bless us and keep from harm.
This type of stuff is eerily similar to the riots outside of Lot's house in Sodom as the gay men were trying to rape the angelic beings. If it wasn't for God striking them blind, it would have been real ugly.

There is no reasoning with the militant homosexual - they are so overtaken by their burning lusts they have lost their conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality