Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:54 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,164,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am against it because God is against it. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah as an example to all societies that embrace this sin. The mere act of homosexuality itself is no different than adultery or fornication or any other sex sins, but when a nation endorses and promotes this sin, the wrath of God is nigh. History shows us that nations that embraced homosexuality were destroyed soon thereafter. God doesn't hold the USA to a different standard than all the other nations that went before us. The passage of Prop 8 gives me hope, but with our leftist-indoctrinated young people and the direction this country is drifting, it will soon be our turn.

Other than this reason, there is the slippery slope argument among others. Right now, everybody has the same marriage rights. A man can marry a woman and a woman can marry a man. Once we redefine it to satisfy one fetish, there would be no logical reason to stop at that.
There is just so much wrong with what you've said. I'll say this - when you say my 13 year relationship with my partner is nothing more than a fetish, that's about as insulting a statement as you could make. Love is not a fetish.

Stating that God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah to take out gay peole is also a lie - you might want to dust off your Bible and re-read that story. How people use that fable to demonize gay people is beyond me.

And my last point - why should your religious beliefs be forced on me, when I don't believe the same thing? Should we also ban dancing or ban women from wearing makeup and pants because a few fundamentalists believe the same thing?

In the end, the fundies will lose this culture war as younger generations age and vote.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Actually bchris, that's entirely incorrect. A lot of assumptions in your post. I grew up in one of THE most homophobic countries on the planet AT THAT TIME and I can guarantee you that being gay certainly wasn't something that was encouraged in the school system but then neither was God.

Being homosexual isn't about choice it's about biology but I'm guessing that you won't buy that as an idea. And as I mentioned before I'm still not convinced about this "free will" that everyone keeps bandying about. And nothing personal but God didn't create me, heterosexual and all as I am, because I don't believe in God. So **shrug** guess we don't agree on a lot of things.
They have to convince themselves that people choose to be gay in order to justify their hatred. If they allowed themselves to believe what's true, that it's not a choice, then the fabric of their fundamentalist views would begin to unravel and they'd have to question much of what they believe. They just can't deal with that much thinking.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
Think it through (thru) -- You're saying, then, that as more and more people are choosing to be gay -- then your god made us all BISEXUAL in the first place, which was rather perverse of him.

Whilst I may agree that many people have the potential to be gay or straight according to circumstances, I think you see things in regular black and white. So you're being inconsistent when you say that masses of straight folk are suddenly seduced by the newly-acceptable (?) glamour of being gay. Does this apply to you, too?

Either way - who devised our human sexuality to be as fluid as you say it is in the first place? Was your god just playing games with us again? He seems to be very fond of such frivolity - he gives us choices, but then damns us to hell if we make the wrong ones.... To me that's a bit sick.

Brian
I've had heterosexuality flaunted and dangled in front of me my entire life, yet I've still never taken the bait!

The fundamentalists just don't get it - you can't be enticed into homosexuality. And it's not about sex - it's about love, and who you're able to love.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:07 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,454,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianrees View Post
My late father might have said the same thing at one time, but after I came along he had to try and accept me as a 'repugnant' gay son, and learn to treat me just like my four 'straight' brothers and sisters.

He might have struggled to overcome the same sort of prejudices you still display, and to his credit, he learnt to be more accepting.

Let's hope you would follow my father's example if you were 'unlucky' enough to raise a gay son, or maybe you wouldn't have a problem with people calling him, too, 'repugnant'?..... the problem would be yours.
You can demonize me all you wish. I dont give a flip. Am i worse for finding homosexuality repugnant than you are heterosexuality? At least we neither want the government telling us who we can marry. And yes, if my son were gay i would have no hesitation telling him how i felt about it.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
The only fair thing to do, in following Separation of Church and State is to also get rid of the title "marriage" for men and women as recognized by the government. Call them all Civil Unions, and keep "marriage" as a title given by your church. This way, everyone is equal if you won't allow the same marriage title from the government for gay marriages.
Better yet, let's just call it what it is. Homosexuality is commiting adulty. Since commiting adulty is grounds for divorce, then homosexuals can't get married in the first place. It's a double negative. Marriage can only be heterosexual by nature. Homosexual marriage is a falicy. Heterosexual marriage is the truth, Homosexual marriage is a lie.

Commiting adultry is having any sex outside of marriage. That includes homosexual sex, heterosexual sex with someone who is not your partner, sex with a minor, sex with the dead, sex with animals, etc.

The bible says the marriage bed is undefiled and every other type of sex is defiled.

God defined the first marriage (one man and one woman) and sealed it in Genesis as being called "very good".

Old 11-10-2008, 11:06 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,434,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I've had heterosexuality flaunted and dangled in front of me my entire life, yet I've still never taken the bait!

The fundamentalists just don't get it - you can't be enticed into homosexuality. And it's not about sex - it's about love, and who you're able to love.
Sex is not love. So, you don't have to have sex with a person that you love. Try sending a Halmark card, I'm sure they have one for that too:

"I love yah man, but that dosen't mean I am going to do yah!"

Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 PM

348 posts, read 502,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
You can demonize me all you wish. I dont give a flip. Am i worse for finding homosexuality repugnant than you are heterosexuality? At least we neither want the government telling us who we can marry. And yes, if my son were gay i would have no hesitation telling him how i felt about it.
No, dan. you are demonising yourself, if only could see it.

I ask myself - 'what possible motive could a straight man like you claim to be have for taking the trouble to make himself heard on a thread like 'gay marriage' ? - Support for minorities? - obviously not. - to spread tolerance and good will? - hardly. To introduce a note of intelligence to the debate? - I don't think so....

That leaves only your personal insecurity, then, my friend.

Your need to express personal loathing is clearly behind all this - so what does that say about you? For a start, it tells us that you have a problem accepting that anything or anybody in the world could possibly have the right to exist unless it meets with your approval - the name for this is either narcissism, or ego-mania, (or just plain nastiness). Either way, it shows a pretty ugly mindset.

A boy unlucky enough to be your gay son would be left with no alternative but to lie to you, to keep your approval, or to stand up for himself - in which case you would probably treat him like the lowest of the low. And that would make you a mature sort of parent?

Quote:
I would have no hesitation telling him how i felt about it.k
Your overbearing Ego again, then? - YOU would not be the individual who had to face hostility on a daily basis, and therefore YOU are not the center of this equation, however much YOU like to be the centre of attention.

It doesn't really matter what YOU think, whether it's beyond YOU to realise that straight sex is not, and never has been, the only enjoyable form of consensual sex. It's simply that it's not acceptable to YOU.

If you find the gay alternative 'repugnant' (and oddly enough, I don't find heterosexuality repugnant in the least - it's just not my cup of tea) - I suggest you work this problem of yours out for yourself, and not use it on a forum like this to to prove how ignorant and self-centred you really are.

Brian.

Last edited by brianrees; 11-10-2008 at 02:15 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 04:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,880,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
yes, it is not my call to pass judgement
Yes, mine either.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,880,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
God created everything.

But it is peoples choice to reject God and his good to go after their own imaginations.

I am not selective.

Homosexuality is an act. It has nothing to do with genetics.

Well it sounds to me like you don't have much trust in your God then.

So from what you're saying here, your point of view being homosexuality is merely a sexual act, you would have no problem with Lesbian marriages then? And you also would have a problem with heterosexual marriages where the couple engage in said abhorent acts?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:39 PM

272 posts, read 483,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Better yet, let's just call it what it is. Homosexuality is commiting adulty.
Adultery???? In order to commit adultery you have to be married.

Just in case http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adultery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.