U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:05 PM

1,186 posts, read 2,130,047 times

Advertisements

The 100: A Ranking of the Most Influential Persons in History is a 1978 book by Michael H. Hart.
It is a ranking of the 100 people who most influenced human history.

number one in the list is
the Prophet Muhammad, upon him be prayer and peace .
Prophet Muhammad upon him be prayer and peace
Isaac Newton
Jesus Christ upon him be prayer and peace
Buddha
Confucius
St. Paul
Ts'ai Lun
Johann Gutenberg
Christopher Columbus
Albert Einstein

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 06:51 PM

7,916 posts, read 17,438,441 times
I see that book is 30 years old and our attitudes might have changed since then. As an atheist I do think that Jesus Christ is probably the most influential human being who has ever lived based on the number of Christians in the world if you add up their various sects and demominations. Muhummad is certainly near the top of the list and hundreds of millions of believers do make him extremely influential.
I have a strong feeling that the list of the most influential people in history is going to have a shift in the future towards people like Einstein and others whose influence had nothing to do with religion but was based on reason, intellect and the advancement of human knowledge. When you look at human history it's very obvious that the influences of religious figures are ancient while the influences of modern people such as Einstein or Darwin are only a couple of centuries old. What I see happening is progress. It's my opinion that in another century that the religious figures who are so prominent now are going to be replaced by individuals who will not be trying to become famous based on their own merits but will become influential because they have furthered the progress of mankind in general.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:23 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,553,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I see that book is 30 years old and our attitudes might have changed since then. As an atheist I do think that Jesus Christ is probably the most influential human being who has ever lived based on the number of Christians in the world if you add up their various sects and demominations. Muhummad is certainly near the top of the list and hundreds of millions of believers do make him extremely influential.
I have a strong feeling that the list of the most influential people in history is going to have a shift in the future towards people like Einstein and others whose influence had nothing to do with religion but was based on reason, intellect and the advancement of human knowledge. When you look at human history it's very obvious that the influences of religious figures are ancient while the influences of modern people such as Einstein or Darwin are only a couple of centuries old. What I see happening is progress. It's my opinion that in another century that the religious figures who are so prominent now are going to be replaced by individuals who will not be trying to become famous based on their own merits but will become influential because they have furthered the progress of mankind in general.
I respectfully disagree.

The most influential person (who we will never know by name) would have to be the first individual to say "I don't understand how we got here. I don't understand the cause of earthquakes, tidal waves, droughts, etc, therefore, some invisible goddidit."

Old 11-23-2008, 01:48 AM

2,740 posts, read 8,205,030 times
I disagree with the author. The person who has most influenced human history is, without question, Jesus Christ.

Bud

Old 11-23-2008, 10:32 AM

10,577 posts, read 10,782,789 times
Well not according to Time magazine, as of 2008 the most influential person in the world today is the Dalai Lama..

Old 11-23-2008, 02:51 PM

Belief in all the Prophets and Messengers is one of the pillars of Islamic belief (‘aqeedah), without which the faith of the Muslim cannot be complete, because they all preached the same message, which is belief in Allaah.

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muslims): ‘We believe in Allaah and that which has been sent down to us and that which has been sent down to Ibraaheem (Abraham), Ismaa’eel (Ishmael), Ishaaq (Isaac), Ya‘qoob (Jacob), and to Al-Asbaat [the offspring of the twelve sons of Ya‘qoob (Jacob)], and that which has been given to Moosa (Moses) and ‘Isa (Jesus), and that which has been given to the Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and to Him we have submitted (in Islam)’” [al-Baqarah 2:136]

Islam Question and Answer - Belief in the Books and Messengers

Old 11-23-2008, 03:46 PM

10,577 posts, read 10,782,789 times
You know your belief as a Muslim is to be commended, however that is your belief and not mine, you see I do not believe in any sacred book or holy scriptures or sacred writings by some prophet and as far as I'm concerned your religious belief is but a newcomer compared to my ancient belief and I do not need any holy writings or scriptures or prophet writings to tell me how to worship my creator. I am quite capable of thinking for myself and worshiping my Creator as I see fit.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 6,510,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I disagree with the author. The person who has most influenced human history is, without question, Jesus Christ.

Bud

In your opinion only. In fact, JC has influenced "religious history" for the past 2000 but certainly not human history as a whole. Human history goes back much, much further than Christianity. I agree with PTsum that many of us do not need the prophetic writings of someone else to show us how to know our own beliefs.

In my opinion I would have to say that human history has probably been most influenced by whoever invented the first wheel.

Old 11-23-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You know your belief as a Muslim is to be commended, however that is your belief and not mine, you see I do not believe in any sacred book or holy scriptures or sacred writings by some prophet and as far as I'm concerned your religious belief is but a newcomer compared to my ancient belief and I do not need any holy writings or scriptures or prophet writings to tell me how to worship my creator. I am quite capable of thinking for myself and worshiping my Creator as I see fit.

if you need to rent a place to live
you found only one place in the whole universe and no other place will be available until the last day of life.

the owner of the place accepted to rent you the place forever with some rules you have to follow as
long as you are in his place otherwise he has the right to take out

I think this is fair and logically accepted

This place is this planet (earth)
And the owner of the planet is Allah (God) the creator

We do not own the planet he is the owner
And the rules are found in his holy book via his messengers via the holy sprit

As a matter of fact it is not only the planet the we do not own , also we do not own our selves , he is
the owner of us

We belong to Allah and to him we shall return
So we have to submit ourselves to him with pleasure and satisfaction and live according to his rules

Old 11-23-2008, 11:46 PM

47,541 posts, read 30,073,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
As a matter of fact it is not only the planet the we do not own , also we do not own our selves , he is
the owner of us

We belong to Allah and to him we shall return
So we have to submit ourselves to him with pleasure and satisfaction and live according to his rules
Sorry . . . but this is utter nonsense. I belong to no one, have to submit to no one, and live according to the rules I deem appropriate. I CHOOSE to mirror the attitude of Jesus and those of others who hold similar views on life because it feels right TO ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality