U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 01:57 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,093,181 times

Advertisements

Everybody believes in something. I believe in God:
#1 Because to me...it takes a greater leap of faith to believe everything came from some premortal soup or slime than to believe the order of the universe,with all of its complexities, details,range of species,etc. was created by a supreme being. The workings of the human body alone are just too complex and amazing. It would be like someone finding a watch and believing that somehow over time all the pieces came together perfectly to tell time rather than believe some intelligent being created it.
#2 The prophecies in the bible written by men 1000`s of years apart are just too amazing to believe it all just happened by chance.
#3 The nation of Israel itself is an amazing story. The history of an ancient people and the way they have survived after being scattered abroad for centuries with no homeland but yet kept their bloodline and heritage intact is amazing.
I`m not asking you to believe as I do or even believe in God. I`m just stating a few reasons intellectually why I believe in God. As far as people being drawn to God,saved,predistination, etc and why some are not this is what I believe:
#1 This is God`s creation and he will do with it as he pleases whether we from a lowly human perspective believe it to be fair or not. Your children may believe you are treating them unfairly at times because they are seeing things through their limited vision and intelligence. Just like created humans trying to limit God to human intelligence and reasoning.
#2 We have this notion that God allowed someone to physically die or allowed something tragic to happen in someone`s life and we say `God is so unfair`..you are looking at it through your own limited intelligence because all you know is this life and what your 5 senses tell you.
Dieing and leaving this life is not the end of it all and God knows this earthly life is just a vapor in the sea of time but to us in the here and now it is everything. If God in the old testament ordered someone to be killed,so what? He create that person and he can do with them as he pleases. It`s not the end of that person..just the end of their exsistence in this space of time. You`re time on this earth is nothing compared to eternity but because this is all we know and see,we cannot comprehend that. We believe someone died..how tragic..as if that`s it..that person is gone forever more. That person is not gone forever more..they just passed through a second of space and time. Our human mind can not comprehend eternity because we are bound by a three d world that operates in space and time. Once your mind can at least try to understand that there are things outside of space and time it can be eye opening.Looking at light from a star and understanding the age of that light and how time works..amazing. Imo some people have a hard time believing in a supreme being because they try to fit him in space and time and give him human intelligence.
finally,unlike the church...I believe God has a plan for his creation and he is a God of the ages. He is working out that plan in stages and eventually all of his creation will know the truth and come to understand their God and what it is all about. We presently see through a dark prism but there will come a time when all of his creation and his purpose will be clearly known and we will know him perfectly even as we are known. God created man for the purpose of having sons and daughters..a family. It was his good will and pleasure to do so and so he will accomplish that. We need to stop putting God in our human box and treating him like he was human..he is not. Again these are just my thoughts,not trying to make you believe as I do or understand as I do. You have your own life and way of thinking but I do believe you are a child of God just as I am..no more..no less. Some are chosen in this age..some in another..it`s all for God`s purpose.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2008, 02:17 PM

5,289 posts, read 1,158,219 times
I've never thought of it that way Robin, thanks for given me something to ponder this afternoon! Not sure where I stand, but I have something to think over and consider as I do my devotions.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:27 PM

12,157 posts, read 14,857,881 times
Quote:
Everybody believes in something. I believe in God:
#1 Because to me...it takes a greater leap of faith to believe everything came from some premortal soup or slime than to believe the order of the universe,with all of its complexities, details,range of species,etc. was created by a supreme being. The workings of the human body alone are just too complex and amazing. It would be like someone finding a watch and believing that somehow over time all the pieces came together perfectly to tell time rather than believe some intelligent being created it.
#2 The prophecies in the bible written by men 1000`s of years apart are just too amazing to believe it all just happened by chance.
#3 The nation of Israel itself is an amazing story. The history of an ancient people and the way they have survived after being scattered abroad for centuries with no homeland but yet kept their bloodline and heritage intact is amazing.
I`m not asking you to believe as I do or even believe in God. I`m just stating a few reasons intellectually why I believe in God. As far as people being drawn to God,saved,predistination, etc and why some are not this is what I believe:
#1 This is God`s creation and he will do with it as he pleases whether we from a lowly human perspective believe it to be fair or not. Your children may believe you are treating them unfairly at times because they are seeing things through their limited vision and intelligence. Just like created humans trying to limit God to human intelligence and reasoning.
#2 We have this notion that God allowed someone to physically die or allowed something tragic to happen in someone`s life and we say `God is so unfair`..you are looking at it through your own limited intelligence because all you know is this life and what your 5 senses tell you.
Dieing and leaving this life is not the end of it all and God knows this earthly life is just a vapor in the sea of time but to us in the here and now it is everything. If God in the old testament ordered someone to be killed,so what? He create that person and he can do with them as he pleases. It`s not the end of that person..just the end of their exsistence in this space of time. You`re time on this earth is nothing compared to eternity but because this is all we know and see,we cannot comprehend that. We believe someone died..how tragic..as if that`s it..that person is gone forever more. That person is not gone forever more..they just passed through a second of space and time. Our human mind can not comprehend eternity because we are bound by a three d world that operates in space and time. Once your mind can at least try to understand that there are things outside of space and time it can be eye opening.Looking at light from a star and understanding the age of that light and how time works..amazing. Imo some people have a hard time believing in a supreme being because they try to fit him in space and time and give him human intelligence.
finally,unlike the church...I believe God has a plan for his creation and he is a God of the ages. He is working out that plan in stages and eventually all of his creation will know the truth and come to understand their God and what it is all about. We presently see through a dark prism but there will come a time when all of his creation and his purpose will be clearly known and we will know him perfectly even as we are known. God created man for the purpose of having sons and daughters..a family. It was his good will and pleasure to do so and so he will accomplish that. We need to stop putting God in our human box and treating him like he was human..he is not. Again these are just my thoughts,not trying to make you believe as I do or understand as I do. You have your own life and way of thinking but I do believe you are a child of God just as I am..no more..no less. Some are chosen in this age..some in another..it`s all for God`s purpose.
Amen. Thank you for sharing, spm62. God bless.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:57 PM

321 posts, read 627,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
......you are a very confused man Condemned......you contradict yourself...you make no sense...just endless, pointless, extremely long, boring, tiring babble.........ugh....Love.
Guess you've never read the Bible then.

Thanks for reading them, however. Glad to be of service.

Yeah, as for the confused part, I don't know if I should eat barbecue chicken or Jerk chicken for real. Whaddaya think I should do?

Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 PM

5,261 posts, read 6,825,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
Guess you've never read the Bible then.

Thanks for reading them, however. Glad to be of service.

Yeah, as for the confused part, I don't know if I should eat barbecue chicken or Jerk chicken for real. Whaddaya think I should do?
...just eat condemned....just eat......anything!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:38 PM

321 posts, read 627,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verna Perry View Post
...just eat condemned....just eat......anything!
Ah fuhget it. What did you cook? I' coming over for a very belated Thanksgiving dinner OR an early Christmas dinner. Tie up the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality