Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times

Advertisements

B/C overly religous people think they know it all, they know what's best for you, and think your wrong for living the way you do. they are holier-than-thou type and very judgemental. and they are dead serious about it.

sports fans like to compete and rivalries are fun. throughing around your opinion and arguing about players is fun. in the end though, they don't judge you, lecture you, or take it seriously enough to cause trouble in a relationship over.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:24 PM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
It's just something Northerners (mostly) like to say/complain about. They want Jax to be like where they came from, and being that many new residents are from the NE, they are most likely accustomed to the far left crowd, and some may seem church/religion discussions as way off base. They think church and church discussions ("where do you go to church?") are discussions rednecks and bible thumpers use as a way to pry, whether thry truly want to know about you or not. Most likely, it is a conversation starter, a way to get to know someone, etc... but often times, the newer residents see it as being nosy. That's my opinion (as well as many others I'm sure, but most probably wouldnt admit it).

Old 06-16-2009, 03:27 PM

2,740 posts, read 5,505,261 times
I see nothing wrong with it. Better than being druggy or whatever the opposite would be.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:36 PM

45 posts, read 150,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
B/C overly religous people think they know it all, they know what's best for you, and think your wrong for living the way you do. they are holier-than-thou type and very judgemental. and they are dead serious about it.
Aren't you being judgmental by grouping all overly religious people together? You think they are wrong for living they way they do. And your dead serious about it.

The reason people give Christians a bad name is because the only one's they know are the one's on tv. If someone was to say all blacks were lazy or that all white people were racist people would be up in arms. But it's still okay to call all Christians judgemental.

I am a Christian. I love God and Jesus. I try not to judge people and to live by Jesus greatest commandment, love.

As for us trying to "preaching at people". I always ask people to view this. I don't hate anyone enough to try to not save them

Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 PM

60 posts, read 257,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scientifical Madness View Post
It's just something Northerners (mostly) like to say/complain about. They want Jax to be like where they came from, and being that many new residents are from the NE, they are most likely accustomed to the far left crowd, and some may seem church/religion discussions as way off base. They think church and church discussions ("where do you go to church?") are discussions rednecks and bible thumpers use as a way to pry, whether they truly want to know about you or not. Most likely, it is a conversation starter, a way to get to know someone, etc... but often times, the newer residents see it as being nosy. That's my opinion (as well as many others I'm sure, but most probably wouldn't admit it).
Actually...as a former born and raised resident of the North, we really do see it as an obtrusive conversation starter. When I first moved here 6 years ago, more often than not one of the very first things I would be asked was " So, what church do you belong to"? or "You should come to my church". This is just not a normal conversation starter in my opinion. I don't know you and all you care about is if I am religious or not? To this day, I still find that question very uncomfortable. The constant chatter about church at work etc does seem to be a bit overdone and annoying in my opinion. Up North you just don't get that. I grew up Roman Catholic, attending church every Sunday till I was 18 and decided it wasn't for me. But after that, I was never ONCE asked if I attend church or where I go to church...till I moved South.

And now my answer is "I do not go to church, its my personal choice."
End of story.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:26 PM

150 posts, read 577,046 times
I think it's a matter of consequences too. In a (very) broad example, consider the consequences of churchy-ness vs. sports fanaticism: some religious groups want to restrict certain people from getting married and prevent evolution from being taught in schools..... I can't think of a consequence of sports fanaticism of the same magnitude.

That's my personal opinion. I do not belong to any organized religion, and when I talk to some religious people (notice I am being very general), their disrespect for me and my beliefs is tangible. On the flip side, when I (a Seminole) argue with idiots (i.e. Gators- j/k), it's clear that any insults thrown or judgments made do not extend/apply past football.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:30 PM

60 posts, read 257,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheaded1der View Post
I think it's a matter of consequences too. In a (very) broad example, consider the consequences of churchy-ness vs. sports fanaticism: some religious groups want to restrict certain people from getting married and prevent evolution from being taught in schools..... I can't think of a consequence of sports fanaticism of the same magnitude.

That's my personal opinion. I do not belong to any organized religion, and when I talk to some religious people (notice I am being very general), their disrespect for me and my beliefs is tangible. On the flip side, when I (a Seminole) argue with idiots (i.e. Gators- j/k), it's clear that any insults thrown or judgments made do not extend/apply past football.
Very well put!!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 PM

45 posts, read 150,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheaded1der View Post
it's clear that any insults thrown or judgments made do not extend/apply past football.

Tell that to people who live in the states of Ohio and Michigan.

Oh and my video was from Penn from Penn and Teller who is an atheist.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 PM

552 posts, read 592,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4merWNYer View Post
Actually...as a former born and raised resident of the North, we really do see it as an obtrusive conversation starter. When I first moved here 6 years ago, more often than not one of the very first things I would be asked was " So, what church do you belong to"? or "You should come to my church". This is just not a normal conversation starter in my opinion. I don't know you and all you care about is if I am religious or not? No, why would that be all they care about? How about a conversation starter? A way to get to know you. To this day, I still find that question very uncomfortable. The constant chatter about church at work etc does seem to be a bit overdone and annoying in my opinion. Talking about something uplifting is annoying? Up North you just don't get that. You get ignored up there. People walk with thier heads down. Dont make eye contact, you might have to say Hi! I grew up Roman Catholic, attending church every Sunday till I was 18 and decided it wasn't for me. But after that, I was never ONCE asked if I attend church or where I go to church...till I moved South. Again, people are more polite and like to chat it up down here in the South. Up north, it's more about "me" and "not wasting your time."

And now my answer is "I do not go to church, its my personal choice."
End of story.
Of course it's your choice. But once you say that, I'd be willing to bet nobody gives you a hard time about it.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:55 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,336 times
I think most of it is needless complaining. I'm not Christian and I was born 'n raised in Jax. I can't recall ever having someone ask me to go to their church. The only time I've ever gotten into an uncomfortable "well why don't you believe in JESUS?" kind of situation was because I decided to start sh*t knowing full well how extremely religious the other person was.

While I don't doubt that there are many aggressive proselytizers out there, I would wager that some of the blame lies with "open minded" people who aren't aware of how snobish, demeaning and un-open minded they act around religious people.

When I lived in the North I was pretty surprised at the overt cultural disdain for fundamentalist Christianity, although it was never any skin off my back. But I guess that growing up in the South we just learned to have a little more respect for people's religious beliefs, even if we didn't have any of our own. Or at least we learned to keep our mouths shut at dinner parties.

Last edited by Joe 4520832257; 06-16-2009 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality