Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 11:25 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Sometimes dumb sounds cute: Sixty percent of Americans can't name five of the Ten Commandments, and 50% of high school seniors think Sodom and Gomorrah were married.

Stephen Prothero, chairman of the religion department at Boston University, isn't laughing. Americans' deep ignorance of world religions — their own, their neighbors' or the combatants in Iraq, Darfur or Kashmir — is dangerous, he says.

His new book, Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know — and Doesn't, argues that everyone needs to grasp Bible basics, as well as the core beliefs, stories, symbols and heroes of other faiths.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...on-cover_N.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:34 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
......and 50% of high school seniors think Sodom and Gomorrah were married.

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha

rotflmao

Even one of the board atheists knows who(what) they are, lol. Now that was funny.

Thats my full belly laugh of the day, thanks John. Now I can go to bed.

haaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha

~T

Last edited by YapCity; 03-26-2007 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-27-2007, 07:01 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,694,475 times
I don't think it's that important to know what is most likely a fantasy tale, though it might provide a bit of entertainment. If independent substantiated facts supported the burning of S & G and the ladies being turned to salt and the story was taught in history class, then not knowing might be more important. I believe their inability to read effectively and to apply mathematical concepts and their apathy toward local, national, and global politics are much more disturbing.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 AM

206 posts, read 939,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I don't think it's that important to know what is most likely a fantasy tale, though it might provide a bit of entertainment. If independent substantiated facts supported the burning of S & G and the ladies being turned to salt and the story was taught in history class, then not knowing might be more important. I believe their inability to read effectively and to apply mathematical concepts and their apathy toward local, national, and global politics are much more disturbing.

On this one, I agree with you

Old 03-27-2007, 07:43 AM

1,247 posts, read 926,843 times
Are you saying Americans are uninformed? I'm astonished!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Are you saying Americans are uninformed? I'm astonished!
Everyone cept GBG that is!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:59 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I saw that article days ago or more, took the test for the fun of it, get an "A" and wondered if that is all there is to religion. The questionnaire was so simple, I can't believe the author was taking people seriously.

Try it yourself, and see if you think it is a true test of people's religious knowledge base!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:40 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,787 times
I'm not surprised. I had to take World Religions in high school, and it's one of the most useful classes I've ever taken.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
The author is right, course most Americans get confused by Georgia and Georgia, doesn't take much to confuse them, look who we elect to high office in this country, it all ties together, like the idiot country song that says, I don't know the difference between Iraq and Iran.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:45 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Sometimes dumb sounds cute: Sixty percent of Americans can't name five of the Ten Commandments, and 50% of high school seniors think Sodom and Gomorrah were married.

Stephen Prothero, chairman of the religion department at Boston University, isn't laughing. Americans' deep ignorance of world religions — their own, their neighbors' or the combatants in Iraq, Darfur or Kashmir — is dangerous, he says.

His new book, Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know — and Doesn't, argues that everyone needs to grasp Bible basics, as well as the core beliefs, stories, symbols and heroes of other faiths.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religio...on-cover_N.htm

You can file that under: Why The DaVinici Code was a best-seller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality