Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 10:50 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,248 times

Advertisements

Where ever you reside, heaven or hell, it is of your own creation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:06 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
Hasn't it occurred to any of you that you might already in hell? Or heaven, for that matter? The assumption (and its a BIG assumption) is that you remember your previous life/lives once you are in heaven and hell.

Personally, I don't believe in either. But I thought it was an interesting observation for you folks who are discussing this with some preconceived notions...
Life has too many wonderful parts for this to be hell. And if this heaven that would be the biggest disappointment of all time. All these philosophical ideas are interesting "thought experiments" but aren't based on anything. No evidence whatever. Objectively, at least Christianity (and other major religions) are based off what is said from an ancient book.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:44 AM

613 posts, read 1,270,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Life has too many wonderful parts for this to be hell. And if this heaven that would be the biggest disappointment of all time. All these philosophical ideas are interesting "thought experiments" but aren't based on anything. No evidence whatever. Objectively, at least Christianity (and other major religions) are based off what is said from an ancient book.
But life fails to have any mannor of objectivity.

Old 01-28-2009, 02:22 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxolan View Post
That's a nice story, but... what is it based on? Did you just make it up, or is there any kind of evidence?
Well no, I didn't make it up myself. I read many hundreds of accounts of near-death experiences and the overwhelming majority of them back up what I explained in my post.

I am kind of am amused by your asking if I have any evidence to back up my assertions. Do you have any empirical evidence of your beliefs ? I would guess that using biblical writings would not quality as evidence any more than my reading about others experiences of the after life as they experienced it. Although I don't have empirical evidence of my own beliefs personally, can all those who have had near-death experiences be wrong ? They have been where most of us have not been.

After reading many of these experiences I actually mentioned this to a gal I've known for years and she stopped me in my tracks and told me that she had nearly died just a few years before and although her experience did not go nearly as far as some I've read....her's was spot on to the point where she came back into her phsical body.

I have no reason to believe that all these folks who wrote their own accounts were lying to me...

Old 01-28-2009, 02:41 PM

970 posts, read 1,699,953 times
It was in fact a honest question, not a bait. I would have accepted any answer, even "it's based on the Bible". I'm not going to debate the validity of your beliefs unless you want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372
Do you have any empirical evidence of your beliefs ?
I think we have evidence that the self is directly linked to the brain, since personality can be predictably affected by drugs or brain damage. As far as I'm aware, we also have no evidence of any mind existing without a physical part. This implies that there is no "soul" independent from our body - and thus that after our body dies and decomposes we are no more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372
I have no reason to believe that all these folks who wrote their own accounts were lying to me...
Indeed, with the exception of a few frauds that try to sell books, I do believe that these people tell the truth about what they experienced.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:36 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,886 times
Default ear death experiences

"After reading many of these experiences I actually mentioned this to a gal I've known for years and she stopped me in my tracks and told me that she had nearly died just a few years before and although her experience did not go nearly as far as some I've read....her's was spot on to the point where she came back into her phsical body.+

I have no reason to believe that all these folks who wrote their own accounts were lying to me...[/quote] from Jasper)

I have read an enormous amount of information about near death experiences. There has to be something to it especially when a young child comes back a talks about a person he saw whom he has no knowledge of. A grandfather perhaps.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
"After reading many of these experiences I actually mentioned this to a gal I've known for years and she stopped me in my tracks and told me that she had nearly died just a few years before and although her experience did not go nearly as far as some I've read....her's was spot on to the point where she came back into her phsical body.+

from Jasper)

I have read an enormous amount of information about near death experiences. There has to be something to it especially when a young child comes back a talks about a person he saw whom he has no knowledge of. A grandfather perhaps.[/quote]

I have of heard of no instance that couldn't be explained by the brain going haywire as the body shuts down. I would actually like to believe in near-death experiences though...

Old 01-28-2009, 08:53 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,355,255 times
Quote:
You didn't work for Enron's accounting department did you? Where did you get these numbers?! 32,000 Christian faiths?! Link please! There is a thing called denominations but there certainly isn't 100+. And the vast majority of these denominations believe in the only important thing: the necessity if Christ as savior. So let's see 1 Billion plus Christians to be on the conservative side. Pretty good odds when you weight the contestants by size.

I know these numbers arguments are meaningless and I'm just having a bit of fun. I really hope you are doing the same what with your "formula".

Christianity is the only faith where you don't "go to heaven", "achieve inner peace", become part of the oversoul, or be reincarnated by your own works. Christianity is the only 100% faith based one. Full reliance on God not our own pathetic and sometimes hypocritical selves.
Actually I go it from the “World Christian Encyclopedia” and you can find it on the net. It said : “A comparative survey of churches and religions - AD 30 to 2200," there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and many smaller ones. 34,000 separate Christian groups have been identified in the world."

Old 01-29-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Actually I go it from the “World Christian Encyclopedia” and you can find it on the net. It said : “A comparative survey of churches and religions - AD 30 to 2200," there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and many smaller ones. 34,000 separate Christian groups have been identified in the world."
Well, I'm glad you didn't pull those numbers out of thin air but even if that encyclopedia is correct you still have to understand that the vast majority of those 34,000 still believe 99% of the same things as each other.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:49 AM

970 posts, read 1,699,953 times
Quote:
Well, I'm glad you didn't pull those numbers out of thin air but even if that encyclopedia is correct you still have to understand that the vast majority of those 34,000 still believe 99% of the same things as each other.
I guess it depends whether God is a stickler for details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality