Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 08:21 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times

Advertisements

God, Santa, invisible space men; they're all the same; outdated fiction. The god belief seems to be the only one that sticks in someone's imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 06:41 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
God, Santa, invisible space men; they're all the same; outdated fiction. The god belief seems to be the only one that sticks in someone's imagination.
Infants and small chidlren aren't brainwashed about space men. Just the all powerful, invisible man in the sky that will burn them in an eternal inferno if his "burnt in gold tabloid" instructions aren't followed.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I sometimes think that if I ever have kids I would raise them more with "The Three Magi" or St. Nicholas rather than Santa Claus. Although the culture being what it is that might not be plausible.

Still in some ways I think Santa Claus might be a bad influence. The "if this is a lie God's a lie" deal. Although for me I switched from Santa Claus to St. Nicholas pretty easily. That gives a message more of "This is a legend, it originates in a truth but has accreted a bunch of stuff over the centuries." That's a fairly useful lesson relevant to archaeology and history. Santa Claus becomes like Johnny Appleseed or various lost cities discovered in archaeology. So maybe I'd do it after all.
"But the fearful, and the unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the Lake burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
(Rev 21:8)

Last edited by Melvin.George; 09-07-2010 at 06:24 AM..

Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
"But the fearful, and the unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, will have their part in the Lake burning with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."
(Rev 21:8)
Now there's a perspective I certainly had not considered! Imagine if that quote from Revelation was actually intended to enforce belief in Santa Claus.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Now there's a perspective I certainly had not considered! Imagine if that quote from Revelation was actually intended to enforce belief in Santa Claus.
Most kids are lied to about it until they're six or eight years old. A lie is a lie.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Most kids are lied to about it until they're six or eight years old. A lie is a lie.
Isn't that just a tiny bit harsh? Now, it's true that I'm Jewish and I grew up minus Santa Claus in my life...but don't you think it's more of a nice fable than a deliberate lie?

Old 10-02-2010, 09:23 AM

290 posts, read 388,473 times
And what if one still believes in Santa Claus? No evidence suggests there isn't a jolly fat guy flying with reindeer and handing out presents at Christmas, soooo...

Old 10-03-2010, 02:06 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
When I was a youngster we used to go to prayer meetings on Wednesday evenings. Prayer lists were a foot and a half long. Every family either had a member or knew someone who was dying of cancer or heart disease. Guess What? The folks suffered and died. There was no treatment for heart disease and surgery was all they would try for cancer and half the time when they cut out a tumor the disease masticized and spread all over their body. Bottom line is that prayer does nothing except in the mind of the one praying.

Now that medical science has advanced to the place where they have sophisticated electronic diagnostic equipment such as catscan, MRI, etc. and chemo, radiation, stem cell transplants, organ donors etc. the same kind of patients live on to their eighties and sometimes nineties. Now the ones who pray think their prayers are being answered. Check the actuarial tables the insurance companies use when they sell insurance and then compare them with those being used back in the 1940's.

I'm 75 years old and I've never seen anthing which couldn't be explained by the physical laws of nature and circumstances...period.

Anybody who believes 5000 men, not counting women and children, were fed with two fish and five loaves then twelve baskets of leftover bread was gathered is either very naive or very brainwashed. ~Luke 9:16,17~

Well years ago when I was called into work for overtime, and as I got out of my truck. I told Jesus I loved Him. And in less than a minute God sent me a red balloon that was ten inches in diameter and it squeezed throught a four inch opening in a fence. That balloon almost hit me in the face. Yet I caught it in my hands. When I turned the balloon over. Printed on the other side of the balloon were the words. "I LOVE YOU". I have experienced all kinds of things from God over the years. And these experiences have little to do with natural circumstances. The fact is, God does not waste His time with people who spend their life denying Him. I believe God put such stories in the Bible, such as the feeding of the 5,000 so non believers would have some support for their unbelief. Such stories aid them in their denial of God's Word. And in doing so, God is seperating those who are full of themselves, from those who have search for God and have found Him, and know His capabilities.

Last edited by Campbell34; 10-03-2010 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Am I detecting the onset of Alzheimer disease? You have told that silly balloon story at least a dozen times...Have you forgotten? But, hey it is just as silly as many of the biblical tales, so it suits you just fine. I have noticed that lately you have been repeating yourself more often, and posting the same links multiple times. I suggest you see your MD ASAP.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well years ago when I was called into work for overtime, and as I got out of my truck. I told Jesus I loved Him. And in less than a minute God sent me a red balloon that was ten inches in diameter and it squeezed throught a four inch opening in a fence. That balloon almost hit me in the face. Yet I caught it in my hands. When I turned the balloon over. Printed on the other side of the balloon were the words. "I LOVE YOU". I have experienced all kinds of things from God over the years. And these experiences have little to do with natural circumstances. The fact is, God does not waste His time with people who spend their life denying Him. I believe God put such stories in the Bible, such as the feeding of the 5,000 so non believers would have some support for their unbelief. Such stories aid them in their denial of God's Word. And in doing so, God is seperating those who are full of themselves, from those who have search for God and have found Him, and know His capabilities.
God sent you a balloon? He had time to do that, yet does not have time to answer the prayers of the child dying from cancer. Nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality