Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:02 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times

Advertisements

McNaughton Fine Art

Couple of token black guys thrown in for good measure.

Pretty art that is pretty wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 06:57 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,298 times
I find that painting somewhat nauseating. It goes beyond patriotic into revolting.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:06 AM

4,498 posts, read 6,317,908 times
I guess the best that can be said is that art is not meant to be right, it's meant to be an expression of the self. I don't agree with this artist's point of view but the world would be pretty boring if we all agreed on everything. I don't know if you did this put click on the picture to the left and then find the professor sitting on the top step to the right (the guy holding the book). If you put the cursor on him a little explanation comes up on the right.... I thought it was pretty funny. Apparently this guy thinks he is equal to God because he teaches "Darwinism" LOL.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:22 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,958,411 times
Amazing, this guy has people standing behind Jesus that were not Christians (like Franklin and Jefferson) or were documented "sinners" for sure (like Kennedy - philanderer and Grant - drunk). How did they get saved? I wonder if the words of the bible should be changed to say, "If thou art considered a Patriot and good American, thou willt will be saved."

Old 12-19-2009, 07:53 AM

4,474 posts, read 5,415,683 times
McNaughton Fine Art#

What a load of crap these paintings are, jambed packed full of subtle, and not so subtle, propeganda and lies.

If you will notice, the Founders are kneeling, begging people to follow Jesus, a not so subtle attempt to claim that the Founders created a "Christian Nation" and that we have "strayed from their Ideal". Washington stands nearly shoulder to shoulder with Christ with his hand over his heart as if saluting the flag. GW never took communion. Notice the group on the right, scientists, bankers, media, a pregnant woman, a Judge obviously "seeing the errors of his ways" and weeping, and what is probrably an Atheist facing away from Jesus, the people the Founders are beseeching to "turn back to Christ".

Notice the people facing Christ, including a woman holding her baby and a dead marine.

And is that the US Constitution he's holding?

McNaughton obviously doesn't know "One Nation Under God" wasn't forced
past the Constitution until 1954!

And I won't bother with the other painting, just as jambed packed full of BS as the other.

These paintings remind me of the "Liberty" statue in Memphis, and sickens me just as much...

http://friendlyatheist.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/StatueSmall.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-19-2009, 08:09 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,799,928 times
When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.
-Sinclair Lewis

Old 12-19-2009, 10:19 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,640,111 times
Does Satan seem to resemble Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars?
I don't see George Bush or Millard Fillmore anywhere in this painting.
Nor do I see any hippies included in this depiction.
Lots of soldiers, but no firefighters or police are shown.
What's with the cloud of dust on the landing at the top of the steps?
Nice to see a farmer was included as truly the backbone of America. But what about the truckers who deliver the goods?
I don't see any hard hat factory workers or 'Main Street America' business owners.
The painting shows a "Family doctor" that looks like the ones who used to make house calls. How many these kind of family doctors are left in America? The one shown resembles a country veterinarian.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:29 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,747 times
But the causes look very different when the people confront the instructed demands of serving these identities for common belonging beyond the mere status's and wealth. Thank you, anyway.

Old 12-19-2009, 10:46 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,056,317 times
Some hilarious comments here too

Old 12-19-2009, 11:18 AM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
"US constitution....Inspired by god and created by god fearing patriotic Americans:"

This painting is just wrong in so many ways...I notice quite a few of the demographics are missing, like were are the Mexican immigrants that the wealthy depend on for cheap labour?...Where are the gay and lesbian couple? There are too many judgmental comments for me to even call this art....It's not art it's, propaganda.

I can't say I'm surprised at the bias in his painting, as the guy is a Mormon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality