Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:32 PM

193 posts, read 1,028,303 times

Advertisements

I know there is a thread "why are atheist negative people". So I wanted to start a thread looking at it from a different stand point.
Don't you think that as a Christian it is more positive to look at an atheist differently? Some atheist will turn to christ, and as christians, we are to help guide the lost if they are open to listening. If you look at "all atheist" as negative people, then how are we supposed to have hope in their salvation with christ? They need the guidance of christians to help them along the way. I noticed the other thread getting alot of attention and it bothered me to think that people generalize like that. Who are we as christians to give up on the lost? Is that what christ wants from us. I think he wants us to spread the word of the bible and not look at non-believers as negative people but as people who just don't know the word of god. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 12:38 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,531,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
I know there is a thread "why are atheist negative people". So I wanted to start a thread looking at it from a different stand point.
Don't you think that as a Christian it is more positive to look at an atheist differently? Some atheist will turn to christ, and as christians, we are to help guide the lost if they are open to listening. If you look at "all atheist" as negative people, then how are we supposed to have hope in their salvation with christ? They need the guidance of christians to help them along the way. I noticed the other thread getting alot of attention and it bothered me to think that people generalize like that. Who are we as christians to give up on the lost? Is that what christ wants from us. I think he wants us to spread the word of the bible and not look at non-believers as negative people but as people who just don't know the word of god. What are your thoughts?
I might ask, "Why do some Christians look at atheists as lost?"

Old 08-21-2007, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I might ask, "Why do some Christians look at atheists as lost?"
It is purely my opinion as a christian. I feel that an atheist is lost because they do not believe in the bible as it is written. I look at them as lost souls but not as bad people. Mind you, it is my opinion and not everyones. I just prefer not to look at atheist as negative people. I know many "christians" who are extremely negative and condescending.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,793,816 times
To me this is a moot point. How does one know the "negative" person is an athiest unless you flat out ask? I know several negative people who are not athiest, but are still negative.

You also have to ask yourself: "Is the negativity I perceive really negativity or just my reaction to some statement I don't agree with or am offended by?" I usually operate on a delay when I hear something that I don't like. I replay it in my head to make sure I didn't misunderstand the tone or intent before I respond. Then, if it truly is mean or negative, regardless of athiest or not, I handle myself accordingly.

As a Christian, I approach all people the same way. I am as transparent as I can be. I'm real and I'm honest. I answer any questions to the best of my ability. I try my best through my actions and words to reflect Jesus. Some times I'm better at it than others. Most times I get along well with everyone regardless of race, gender, creed, religion, orientation, etc. Yes, I have a heart for the lost, but I don't seek them in a sense of actively pursuing. I let God present them to me or vice versa. God always knows when someone's ready to listen. I just try my best to be ready when that time presents itself.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,201,545 times
Quote:
My thoughts are that you are totally right on. An us vs. them mentality certainly doesn't show God's love, IMO.

Like I said on that thread, such a sweeping generalization may be true for many, but is not true for all. Gee, I wonder how many athiests looked at that thread--posted by a Christian--and said "Wow, look at the light and love of Christ just RADIATING from this person. I want what they have."

Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
To me this is a moot point. How does one know the "negative" person is an athiest unless you flat out ask? I know several negative people who are not athiest, but are still negative.

You also have to ask yourself: "Is the negativity I perceive really negativity or just my reaction to some statement I don't agree with or am offended by?" I usually operate on a delay when I hear something that I don't like. I replay it in my head to make sure I didn't misunderstand the tone or intent before I respond. Then, if it truly is mean or negative, regardless of athiest or not, I handle myself accordingly.

As a Christian, I approach all people the same way. I am as transparent as I can be. I'm real and I'm honest. I answer any questions to the best of my ability. I try my best through my actions and words to reflect Jesus. Some times I'm better at it than others. Most times I get along well with everyone regardless of race, gender, creed, religion, orientation, etc. Yes, I have a heart for the lost, but I don't seek them in a sense of actively pursuing. I let God present them to me or vice versa. God always knows when someone's ready to listen. I just try my best to be ready when that time presents itself.
This is exactly what I was getting at with my post. I am willing to talk to anyone about christianity if they will listen. And you know who will and who won't. I to know many negative people and they are not all athiest. This was the point of my post. You hit the nail on the head!!

Old 08-21-2007, 08:57 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,516,611 times
I don't see it as my duty as a believer to make believers out of an athiest. If an athiest is interested in asking questions about my beliefs, I will share them with him, but I would probably let it go once I have answered his questions and not keep bringing it up ( naturally I would hope that he will want to know more)..I don't value my friendships on ones religion beliefs or non beliefs.. An athiest who is sincerely in need to know the Lord, must first find his faith. That I could not help him with. His faith is deep within him, it is in all of us, but I believe you have to get in touch with it yourself. I could encourage him to pray and ask God to quicken the spirit . Once he has awakened his faith , I think the Holy spirit will guide his search for finding the truth. But as I said in the beginning I would not approach my athiest friends and try to "change" them..

Old 08-21-2007, 11:11 PM

18 posts, read 99,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I don't see it as my duty as a believer to make believers out of an athiest. If an athiest is interested in asking questions about my beliefs, I will share them with him, but I would probably let it go once I have answered his questions and not keep bringing it up ( naturally I would hope that he will want to know more)..I don't value my friendships on ones religion beliefs or non beliefs.. An athiest who is sincerely in need to know the Lord, must first find his faith. That I could not help him with. His faith is deep within him, it is in all of us, but I believe you have to get in touch with it yourself. I could encourage him to pray and ask God to quicken the spirit . Once he has awakened his faith , I think the Holy spirit will guide his search for finding the truth. But as I said in the beginning I would not approach my athiest friends and try to "change" them..
This runs along w/my way of thinking. I would think that people who believe in God would have an easier time just letting God deal with the unpleasantness of rendering judgment. After all, it is his job.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:57 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
It is purely my opinion as a christian. I feel that an atheist is lost because they do not believe in the bible as it is written. I look at them as lost souls but not as bad people. Mind you, it is my opinion and not everyones. I just prefer not to look at atheist as negative people. I know many "christians" who are extremely negative and condescending.
But you don't think calling someone "lost and misguided" is condescending and negative? See, that's where the problems start, because an Atheist would most certainly be hurt or annoyed by those words. Let me put it this way, to help you see the other point of view... imagine if I said "I feel sorry for Christians, because they're just lost souls, who are sadly misguided by their blind following of the Bible. I don't mean any offense, but obviously anyone who doesn't agree with my views on religion is naive." Wouldn't that seem pretty rude, and put you on the defensive?? Think about it for a minute.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:48 AM

7,998 posts, read 12,279,193 times
Default I just love this lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
YES!

Take gentle care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality