Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:16 PM

3,814 posts, read 6,800,336 times

Advertisements

The guilt trip that religion teaches definately made me question what I was believing and why. Finally I ended up leaving religion behind, just too fear based and it didn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 08:57 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,505,389 times
Not all churches revolve around guilt. My own church does not focus on guilt very much at all. We focus far more on love, God's love for us, our love for God, our love for our neighbors, and how to put it all into action on our daily lives

I do believe that excessive guilt is counterproductive when it comes to religion, not just religion really, but all things. Guilt and subsequently fear as a means of enforcing compliance is simply manipulation coming from those who are afraid of losing control of their power, position, etc.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:55 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,057,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Not all churches revolve around guilt. My own church does not focus on guilt very much at all. We focus far more on love, God's love for us, our love for God, our love for our neighbors, and how to put it all into action on our daily lives

I do believe that excessive guilt is counterproductive when it comes to religion, not just religion really, but all things. Guilt and subsequently fear as a means of enforcing compliance is simply manipulation coming from those who are afraid of losing control of their power, position, etc.
"...very much..." LOL Well I think any amount of guilt is counter productive. If you believe that Christ's sacrifice was sufficient, there's no need for guilt. Guilt doesn't get you to heaven, you can't take it with you, so it's useless. Being a Christian who holds on to guilt is like saying you believe Jesus died for us but just incase that's not enough, better hang onto this guilt stuff.

ETA: That's not saying to not have a conscience. It's saying know you're forgiven. If you fall on your face, get back up and start again, but don't stay down and wallow in it.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:54 PM

244 posts, read 488,371 times
If guilt is viewed for what it is, the Holy Spirit telling you what you doing or have done is sin, then it is a wonderfull tool in your moral development. You are also correct that Jesus did pay the price for that sin already but if you ignore the guilt how do you repent?
For any that believe as stated above that there arent evil people in this world, you are sadly mistaken.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 PM

9,892 posts, read 13,934,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal4now View Post
If guilt is viewed for what it is, the Holy Spirit telling you what you doing or have done is sin, then it is a wonderfull tool in your moral development. You are also correct that Jesus did pay the price for that sin already but if you ignore the guilt how do you repent?
For any that believe as stated above that there arent evil people in this world, you are sadly mistaken.
See now I don't agree that guilt is the Holy Spirit telling me what I'm doing or not doing is a sin and to that end it plays no part in my moral development. That it does for you is fine by me, your choice entirely to make but to allude that people are incapable of providing their own moral compass seperate from a "higher power" is kind of offensive. Just as is saying that all those who do believe in a higher power are only guided in what is right or wrong, what is sin and what is not because of their belief in a higher power, that without their faith they would not be able to discern the difference. I don't think that's correct either.

As it turns out the evil people in this world, both believers and non-believers, seem to be able to justify their actions without feeling any guilt whatsoever so I'm not really sure why religion feels the need to try to guilt good people in to behaving "better" when they are already and it seemingly has no effect on the evil people anyway.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM

897 posts, read 1,598,253 times
Yes, yes it did.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM

15,031 posts, read 9,939,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm a moderate Catholic who attends 2 out of 3 Sundays. I have gone and heard homilies that were good and homilies that almost put me to sleep.

Lately, I've been put out by the "guilt trip" that comes from religious institutions. Growing up, I remember the joke "Jews invented guilt and Catholics made it an art form." Some Protestants and fundamentalists exercise the "guilt trip" via dogmatic Bible quoting. Regardless, the message seems to be that people are inherently bad and that's not what I want to hear. In fact, I think it's a pretty rancid message.

What about you? Tired of the "guilt trip?"
Guilt and conviction kinda "feel" the same but move us in different directions. Guilt is the evil ones work and conviction is the work of the Holy Spirit.

Guilt makes you think...... I'm not good enough and can mire us in emotional
concrete.
Conviction makes you think... why am I doing this! I know it's wrong and then convinces you to do better.

You don't have to be a believer, to feel either.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:36 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,591,853 times
Only one thing can make me feel guilt and that is the HS who lets me know how much I may have hurt someone when I was angry, etc..People of religion do not affect me one way or another since I finally stepped out of religion and in step with God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality