Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,368 times

Advertisements

I am a life long Episcopalian church and a member of wonderful church in NYC. *Trinitarianism has been on the decline in the Episcopal church since I was a young boy, I am 46, and it's a only a matter of time before it becomes anachronistic. *It was never part of church dogma until the 4th century when emperor Constantine imposed Christianity on the Roman Empire. *He outlawed freedom of religion, which had been a pillar of the empire for 1,000 years, and established a monotheistic religion. *The Empire was to be united under the idea of "One (God) Religion, One Empire, One Emperor". (Constantine's success was not lost on a certain fascist dictator who proclaimed "Ein Volk, Ein Reiche, Ein Fuehrer" ie "One People, One Empire, One Leader"). *

The Nicean Creed adopted in 4th century Rome, under Constantine's rule, is a state document, not a religious document. It's ingenious! *It establishes the trinity as church dogma which aligns the church to the Roman Emperor and Empire. It's mandates the trinity as dogma it elevates Jesus the prophet to Jesus Christ, the messiah, a supernatural being. The son of the one an only God and defender of faith "The holy ghost" on earth. Three in one. The Trinity. *

The idea that God can become man, is the basis and justification for the "Divine Right of Kings" and legitimizes the subjugation of mankind to divine despots for 1500 years. *100 years after the abolishment of freedom of religion, the imposition of one religion and the elevation of Jesus and kings as Gods the Roman Empire collapsed. *During this 100 years most of mankind kind's recorded history went up in flames, Rome was sacked by the Vandals and Europe was plunged into darkness. *

It is no coincidence that our founding fathers adopted freedom of religion as the first amendment to the constitution. Most "founding fathers" were Anglicans/C of E/Episcopalians, but Jefferson was a closet Unitarian. *In fact, prior to 1950 all presidents were protestants and the majority Episcopalians.*

I almost left my church until I spoke to several Episcopalian rectors, and expressed my long held beliefs about the divinity of Jesus, the trinity and other dogma. *They more or less said "it's a true Episcopalian who questions his faith" most smiled, winked and nodded. It's only a matter of time. *Christianity is a rites based faith in comparison to Judaism which is knowledge based. *Which has been more successful? *Jews represent 2% of the American population and only .025% of the global population, yet their contributions to mankind defy their numbers despite their odds. *Why? *Google "Jewish Achievements" or "Jews Nobel Prize". You might be shocked and when you compare the faiths you may question the success of Christianity or any rites based faith. And perhaps provides and alternative to trinity based faiths. "Oy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,368 times
I am a life long Episcopalian church and a member of wonderful church in NYC. *Trinitarianism has been on the decline in the Episcopal church since I was a young boy, I am 46, and it's a only a matter of time before it becomes anachronistic. *It was never part of church dogma until the 4th century when emperor Constantine imposed Christianity on the Roman Empire. *He outlawed freedom of religion, which had been a pillar of the empire for 1,000 years, and established a monotheistic religion. *The Empire was to be united under the idea of "One (God) Religion, One Empire, One Emperor". (Constantine's success was not lost on a certain fascist dictator who proclaimed "Ein Volk, Ein Reiche, Ein Fuehrer" ie "One People, One Empire, One Leader"). *

The Nicean Creed adopted in 4th century Rome, under Constantine's rule, is a state document, not a religious document. It's ingenious! *It establishes the trinity as church dogma which aligns the church to the Roman Emperor and Empire. It's mandates the trinity as dogma it elevates Jesus the prophet to Jesus Christ, the messiah, a supernatural being. The son of the one an only God and defender of faith "The holy ghost" on earth. Three in one. The Trinity. *

The idea that God can become man, is the basis and justification for the "Divine Right of Kings" and legitimizes the subjugation of mankind to divine despots for 1500 years. *100 years after the abolishment of freedom of religion, the imposition of one religion and the elevation of Jesus and kings as Gods the Roman Empire collapsed. *During this 100 years most of mankind kind's recorded history went up in flames, Rome was sacked by the Vandals and Europe was plunged into darkness. *

It is no coincidence that our founding fathers adopted freedom of religion as the first amendment to the constitution. Most "founding fathers" were Anglicans/C of E/Episcopalians, but Jefferson was a closet Unitarian. *In fact, prior to 1950 all presidents were protestants and the majority Episcopalians.*

I almost left my church until I spoke to several Episcopalian rectors, and expressed my long held beliefs about the divinity of Jesus, the trinity and other dogma. *They more or less said "it's a true Episcopalian who questions his faith" most smiled, winked and nodded. It's only a matter of time. *Christianity is a rites based faith in comparison to Judaism which is knowledge based. *Which has been more successful? *Jews represent 2% of the American population and only .025% of the global population, yet their contributions to mankind defy their numbers despite their odds. *Why? *Google "Jewish Achievements" or "Jews Nobel Prize". You might be shocked, and when you compare the faiths you may question the success of Christianity or any rites based faith. And maybe an alternative to trinity based faiths. "Oy!

Old 01-01-2011, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,289 times
Default stay away from the ICOC

Advice here is to stay as far away from the International Churches of Christ because they are mind-controlling, brainwashing, cultish, legalistic and spiritual abusive.....they love to prey on new members to their church family....they try to break you or make you fall into their way of belief and thinking which is not christian at all

Old 01-01-2011, 01:44 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,633,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That's wonderful! I'm really happy for you. Most of the Episcopalians I've known are very accepting and non-judgmental. I know they believe in the Trinity, but if they can accept the fact that you don't, it sounds like you've found a good fit.
Espiscopalians are all over the map on beliefs. I don't even know how they can give the group a name.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPSF View Post
I am a Unitarian Christian who strongly identifies with the Anglican tradition, my alma mater is in Boston and I would attend services at King's Chapel every Sunday and I loved it, and I'm now trying to search for any Christian Unitarian church in East Texas.
You see, I'm trying to hunt down a good city to really plant my roots into, as I currently live in SF and it just isn't cutting it for me, but I want to live in a city where my spirituality can thrive. I've been to Unitarian Universalist congregations but I find them far too politicized and watered down, most UUA congregations try to be all things to all people, so I'm trying to find a more traditional Christian church with Unitarian or at least Non-Trinitarian beliefs.
Here are my three basic religious principals/traits that I'm looking for in a church:
I reject the concept of the trinity in favor of a single unified God, I believe that the Bible is not inerrant and that it should be interpreted metaphorically rather than literally, and I prefer to worship in a traditional environment, i.e. basically something close to the environment of the typical Anglican/Episcopalian church.
I don't know if anyone can help me find a particular church in East Texas, but if someone could at least help me find a Christian denomination that is friendly my views that'd be great!
Thanks!
I recommend you completely give up religion, spirituality, faith, praying, etc. Some people think that there are no bases for these.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Perhaps in time. Our pal here is still in need of the rich flavour of 'spiritual sustenance' and the plain fare of atheism is not for all.

However, reasoning and looking is all we can ask of anyone who hasn't checked the brain at the church door and I'm happy that our poster is finding their own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality