Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
So which version of your holy book do you want to choose from ?

The New American Standard Bible, copyrighted 1960.
"You shall not murder"

God's Word translation, copyright 1995
"Never murder"

King James Bible.
"Thou shalt not kill"

American King James Version.
"You shall not kill."

American Standard Version.
"Thou shalt not kill."

Bible in basic English.
"Do not put anyone to death without cause."

Douay-Rheims Bible.
"Thou shalt not kill."

Darby Bible Translation.
"Thou shalt not kill."

English Revised Version.
"Thou shalt do no murder."

Webster's Bible Translation.
"Thou shalt not kill."

World English Bible.
"You shall not murder."

Young's Literal Translation.
"Thou dost not murder."

So which one of these do you subscribe to and you can see why the confusion. You do a very good job of not addressing the question by talking around the subject. You still haven't answered the question as to the contradictions.
I always stick with the Majority Text, the contradictions are only found in the later copies of the Bible. And that is why when in doubt, it is always best to go to the Majority Text. From the very beginning, copies of the orginals were made. We have thousands of such copies, and they span the very early years of the Christian faith, and they come from many parts of the world. These copies are now together, and they are called the Majority Text, and they are in agreement. Even the Dead Sea Scrolls have been added in the collection of ancient texts. And the scrolls have been untouched for over 2100 years, and they also confirm the writings of the Majority Text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
If you go to the (orginal text), Exodus 20:13 does not read thou shall not kill. It actually reads, thou shall not (MURDER). And there is a big difference between killing someone, and murdering someone. Murder is killing one (without cause), killing can be justified if there is a reason. Like perhaps, one defending his own life, or the life of his family, or the breaking of the Law of the Sabbath, which God Himself established.

So you're going to kill somebody because they cut their lawn or do housework on Sunday. Now how much sense does that make?

Old 02-24-2009, 12:15 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
I always stick with the Majority Text, the contradictions are only found in the later copies of the Bible. And that is why when in doubt, it is always best to go to the Majority Text. From the very beginning, copies of the orginals were made. We have thousands of such copies, and they span the very early years of the Christian faith, and they come from many parts of the world. These copies are now together, and they are called the Majority Text, and they are in agreement. Even the Dead Sea Scrolls have been added in the collection of ancient texts. And the scrolls have been untouched for over 2100 years, and they also confirm the writings of the Majority Text.
You know your fascination for prophecies are commendable but may i suggest that you look behind before looking forward? That is...find out when all the books were compiled into 1 bible. Find what what happen to the books that were not in the so-called final edition..Tell me who gave those men the authority to decide which book to add and which to discard..

Old 02-24-2009, 01:39 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,351,497 times
Quote:
[/b]

So you're going to kill somebody because they cut their lawn or do housework on Sunday. Now how much sense does that make?
I've seen this mistake a lot on these boards. The Sabbath is Saturday, not Sunday.

It was a law of God's, so it doesn't matter how trivial it sounds to you today.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I've seen this mistake a lot on these boards. The Sabbath is Saturday, not Sunday.

It was a law of God's, so it doesn't matter how trivial it sounds to you today.
Then it sounds like the Seventh-day Adventists have it right and all the other Christian religions are worshiping on the wrong day of the week.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Then it sounds like the Seventh-day Adventists have it right and all the other Christian religions are worshiping on the wrong day of the week.
One would think so, if you wanted to throw the examples of the NT out the window that show they did things on the first day of the week. At least, that's why I worship on Sunday. I don't live under the OT.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
One would think so, if you wanted to throw the examples of the NT out the window that show they did things on the first day of the week. At least, that's why I worship on Sunday. I don't live under the OT.
You see here is where the confusion comes in about your holy book, Old Testament, New Testament, it appears to be two books in one and one seems to conflict with the other. You claim to live under the New Testament teachings and others claim to live under the Old Testament teaching and yet both claim to be Christians, how is that possible. The Old Testament is the story of the Jewish people and their belief, the New Testament is supposed to be the story, life, and teachings of your Jesus, two entirely different stories.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
You see here is where the confusion comes in about your holy book, Old Testament, New Testament, it appears to be two books in one and one seems to conflict with the other. You claim to live under the New Testament teachings and others claim to live under the Old Testament teaching and yet both claim to be Christians, how is that possible. The Old Testament is the story of the Jewish people and their belief, the New Testament is supposed to be the story, life, and teachings of your Jesus, two entirely different stories.
You know, I don't know why some Christians claim to live under the OT. In reality, they don't. Obviously, or they would still live under all the old laws...and we all know how harsh those were.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
There are quite a few things in the Bible that, if written today, would keep an editor extremely busy!

A List Of Biblical Contradictions

101 Clear Contradictions (http://www.islamway.com/english/images/library/contradictions.htm - broken link)

Old 02-24-2009, 02:40 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
PAUL SAID, "God is not the author of confusion," (I Corinthians 14:33), yet never has a book produced more confusion than the bible! There are hundreds of denominations and sects, all using the "inspired Scriptures" to prove their conflicting doctrines.

Losing Faith In Faith (http://www.ffrf.org/books/lfif/?t=contra - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality