Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well, I don't want to upset you to much Predos, yet over the years I have seen numerous people come to Jesus Christ because I have reached out to them with God's truth. And the Bible has stated that the preaching of the cross to them that perish is foolishness, but to we that are alive and well it is the power of God. Most of the World is headed for Hell Predos, and without Christ in your life there is no hope. Everyone must make a choice. Yet the Bible tells us, most of the world will choose to go to Hell.
Maybe your god will forgive you for this. He is said to be merciful, even to those believing in false idols (you).

You should, however, feel shame for misleading these "numerous" (is that one or two?) astray.

My previous statement stands, you have done more for Atheism than you can possibly know by your example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:14 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
What does the Bible have to do with religious bigotry?
According to your statements, only your version of christianity is correct and the way to your god. Everyone else is wrong. Classic definition of bigotry.

Of course, you being the closeminded bigot, I wouldn't expect you to realize that. To do so would take actual thought, not just regurgatation of biblical fairy tales.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:38 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
It's just as the Scriptures state, there is a way that seems right unto a man, but the end there of is the way of death. I know the prophecies don't mean anything to you, yet that is because the truth does not mean anything to you either. For in those prophecies you will find the truth. Yet you could only find it, if you choose not to ignore the prophecies. The Bible clearly states, that many would worship the creation rather than the Creator. It is your basic belief that has allow you to filter out what is real, so you can imbrace that which is a fable.
Campbell your holy book is only one of the different interpretations of the original Constantine version, so how many interpretations are there and of which one is the true one, there are so many different interpretations not all of them can be true and the original Constantine version was commissioned by a pagan emperor who was merely trying to keep peace among his empire and his mother. So many different interpretations and yet none can agree on which is the true one. And yet my people were considered uncivilized, at least we didn't go about killing people in the name of our Creator.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times
Is the current Christian Bible really the word of God?â€

The Bible is a huge collection of “human†writings, 38 (+9 disputed) books comprising the Old Testament and 20 (+7 disputed) books of the New Testament. The Old Testament assortment includes books of history, proverbs, myths, legislation …etc, representing the popular literature of the Israelites. They were composed by many scribes, several centuries after the Prophet Moses, peace be upon him.

Similarly, the New Testament embodies the Gospels, four different biographies of the Prophet Jesus, peace be upon him, written by Matthews, Mark, Luke and John, whose identities are widely disputed. In addition, the New Testament contains the epistles of Paul, Peter and John. This is as well as the Acts - also due to Paul or Luke - and the Visions of John.

So, none of the Bible books can be claimed to be the word of God. It was the Nicea Council in the fourth century after Christ, who selectively sanctified these books to be “holyâ€, from among hundreds of other writings of the earlier Christians. While admitting the human authorship of these books, the churches claim and teach - without proof - that these human writings were “inspired†by God.

However, neither of the Bible authors themselves claimed, or probably even imagined that their books would ever be “holyâ€. Read for example:

“Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things …, Even as they delivered them unto us …; It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus ...†(Luke 1:1-4)

“The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.†(Matthews 1:1)

“The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach.†(Acts 1:1)

“These be the words which Moses spake unto all Israel on this side Jordan in the wilderness …†(Deuteronomy1:1)

“Now after the death of Moses, the servant of the Lord, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun …†(Joshua 1:1)

“Now after the death of Joshua it came to pass, that the children of Israel …†(1 Judges 1:1)

“Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled …†(Ruth 1:1)

“Now it came to pass after the death of Saul, when David …†(2 Samuel 1:1)

“Now king David was old and stricken in years ...†(1 Kings 1:1)

“Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia …†(Ezra 1:1)

“Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus …†(Esther 1:1)

“Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year …†(Ezkiel 1:1)

Could any of these books be words of God, or rather typical human anecdotes and historical accounts?

Add to these facts the countless contradictions and obvious mistakes in the Bible text. As few examples, compare the following pairs:

Is the Bible the Word of God? - Reading Islam.com - Ask About Islam (http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1123996016232&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam%2FAskAboutIslamE%2FAskAboutIslamE - broken link)

Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Campbell your holy book is only one of the different interpretations of the original Constantine version, so how many interpretations are there and of which one is the true one, there are so many different interpretations not all of them can be true and the original Constantine version was commissioned by a pagan emperor who was merely trying to keep peace among his empire and his mother. So many different interpretations and yet none can agree on which is the true one. And yet my people were considered uncivilized, at least we didn't go about killing people in the name of our Creator.
There are many translations of the Bible, yet it would be a mistake if you believe they all read so differently that no one could know what is true.
All the orginal copies of the Bible predated Constantine by hundreds of years, so you can't hide behind what he later commissioned. True Christians do not murder people, and again, you are mistaken if you believe they do. Many have done unthinkable things in the name of Christ, yet it was Jesus who said no murder will enter the kingdome of God.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsun View Post
Is the current Christian Bible really the word of God?â€

The Bible is a huge collection of “human†writings, 38 (+9 disputed) books comprising the Old Testament and 20 (+7 disputed) books of the New Testament. The Old Testament assortment includes books of history, proverbs, myths, legislation …etc, representing the popular literature of the Israelites. They were composed by many scribes, several centuries after the Prophet Moses, peace be upon him.

Similarly, the New Testament embodies the Gospels, four different biographies of the Prophet Jesus, peace be upon him, written by Matthews, Mark, Luke and John, whose identities are widely disputed. In addition, the New Testament contains the epistles of Paul, Peter and John. This is as well as the Acts - also due to Paul or Luke - and the Visions of John.

So, none of the Bible books can be claimed to be the word of God. It was the Nicea Council in the fourth century after Christ, who selectively sanctified these books to be “holyâ€, from among hundreds of other writings of the earlier Christians. While admitting the human authorship of these books, the churches claim and teach - without proof - that these human writings were “inspired†by God.

However, neither of the Bible authors themselves claimed, or probably even imagined that their books would ever be “holyâ€. Read for example:

“Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things …, Even as they delivered them unto us …; It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus ...†(Luke 1:1-4)

“The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham.†(Matthews 1:1)

“The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach.†(Acts 1:1)

“These be the words which Moses spake unto all Israel on this side Jordan in the wilderness …†(Deuteronomy1:1)

“Now after the death of Moses, the servant of the Lord, it came to pass that the Lord spake unto Joshua the son of Nun …†(Joshua 1:1)

“Now after the death of Joshua it came to pass, that the children of Israel …†(1 Judges 1:1)

“Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled …†(Ruth 1:1)

“Now it came to pass after the death of Saul, when David …†(2 Samuel 1:1)

“Now king David was old and stricken in years ...†(1 Kings 1:1)

“Now in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia …†(Ezra 1:1)

“Now it came to pass in the days of Ahasuerus …†(Esther 1:1)

“Now it came to pass in the thirtieth year …†(Ezkiel 1:1)

Could any of these books be words of God, or rather typical human anecdotes and historical accounts?

Add to these facts the countless contradictions and obvious mistakes in the Bible text. As few examples, compare the following pairs:

Is the Bible the Word of God? - Reading Islam.com - Ask About Islam (http://www.readingislam.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1123996016232&pagename=IslamOnline-English-AAbout_Islam%2FAskAboutIslamE%2FAskAboutIslamE - broken link)
Why is the Bible the only religious Book that accurately predicts the future?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
According to your statements, only your version of christianity is correct and the way to your god. Everyone else is wrong. Classic definition of bigotry.

Of course, you being the closeminded bigot, I wouldn't expect you to realize that. To do so would take actual thought, not just regurgatation of biblical fairy tales.
Talk is cheap, what prophecy of the Bible is a fairy tale? And of course it might take some though on your part to refute any of them. How did the Christians of the 1600s and 1800s know that in the latter days the Jews would return from a world wide exile? How did the Christians know back then that they would retake Israel and Jerusalem? How did those Christians back then know that their return would anger many nations around the world? Do you have a real answer for any of these questions? Or are you just going to start talking your bigotry nonsense again? You see, when you don't have real answers, you just start calling me a closedminded bigot. Yet let me ask you again. HOW COULD THESE CHRISTIAN HAVE THIS KIND OF ADVANCED KNOWLEDGE?

Old 02-27-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Maybe your god will forgive you for this. He is said to be merciful, even to those believing in false idols (you).

You should, however, feel shame for misleading these "numerous" (is that one or two?) astray.

My previous statement stands, you have done more for Atheism than you can possibly know by your example.
Did you mean my example of sharing the (TRUTH?) And don't you ever get tired of making bland general statements that know one can pin down? And if you are going to say I mislead people, can you give us examples as to how I have mislead them?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Why is the Bible the only religious Book that accurately predicts the future?
how many ?
what are they ?
how many already happend ?
how many yet to come?

Old 02-28-2009, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HolyNinja~ View Post
You can spot 'em from a mile away....those ignorant of what the Bible says. "I havnt read much of it, but it cant be true!" lol. Idiots.

Hold to forgiveness; command what is right; But turn away from the ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality