Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 05:23 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry but I've gone and done it again. First off, check out this link to a Dutch creationist site:
You'll notice that they've built an attractive looking ark complete with models of animals. Now take a look at the base of this boat and see what's really keeping it from sinking. Well, isn't that interesting, it appears to be perched on a metal base. It also states that modern tools were used to build this replica and it's made from cedar and pine although no one seems to know what the original was made of and it's described as gopher wood in the Bible, whatever that is.
Ok, this thing wouldn't last for five minutes under a deluge of rain on the high seas but at least they were able to construct a wooden vessel (well, mostly wood) so where did Noah come up with the huge wooden beams that would be necessary to build such a vessel? I don't think that the Bible suggests that Noah was a resident of the Pacific Northwest or some other location in which tall trees are common. We always think of the Middle East as the location in which biblical events took place and of course Noah's Ark is supposed to be waiting to be discovered on Mt. Ararat and that's where the Bible says it is. Just one problem, there's no forests of mighty trees in that part of the world and in fact most of the Middle East is so barren of vegetation that a grasshopper would have to pack a lunch. So does anyone have any suggestions that could explain this dilema and how a six hundred year old boat builder was able to obtain the materials necessary to build this sea going vessel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,978 times
Man can be so destructive
Change in Forestation - Global Crisis Animation Map

Last edited by Aeroman; 02-07-2009 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: My favorate charity http://www.nature.org/joinanddonate/donate/

Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
there are no forests there now. remember that egypt isnt loaded with forests either yet large building materials were acquired, that will happen if you got money. i dont know about hauling elephants with oceanliners but phoenicians had sea going vessels and they go back a long long time.
the bible is not a history or science book however i do not share your disbelief that some sort of flood could not have occurred or that an attempt to save local animals was impossible (not every creature but many) with a sea going vessel.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:46 PM

Aeroman wrote:
Quote:
Man can be so destructive
I agree completely but creationists believe that the earth is only six thousand years old, give or take a decade, and this link says this is how it looked eight thousand years ago. Seriously though, a great deal of this change is because of man, particularly in North and South America, but there is also a natural process that has been occurring in other parts of the world such as Africa in which the expansion of desert areas has been going on long before the impact of man's destructive behavior. In any case, the Middle East hasn't had huge forests for probably millions of years. It did at one time and the decayed plant material resulted in huge deposts of oil but that was long before the mythological adventures of Noah.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 PM

huckleberry wrote:
Quote:
the bible is not a history book however i do not share your disbelief that some sort of flood could have occurred or that an attempt could have not possibly been made to save local animals (not every creature know to man) with a sea going vessel.
No, I'm not in disagreement with you regarding the idea of a regional flood and a realistic sea going vessel, in fact man has constructed ships for a very long time. I'm talking about the massive endeavor of a six hundred year old man who is supposed to have saved every land animal on the planet.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Where Did Noah Get The Lumber To Build The Ark?
Lowe's

Old 02-07-2009, 06:05 PM

Drover wrote:
Quote:
Lowe's
If there were a Lowe's in Noah's day he certainly could have upgraded the bathroom tile and redecorated the galley but I've been to the local Lowe's a number of times and although there's plenty of two by fours and material to build a new deck I must have missed the aisle where they have the massive ship timbers.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,290 times
Suspend your disbelief for a moment and consider that the species of trees used to build the ark were destroyed by the global flood, and as the earth dried, there were climatological changes that prevented them from coming back.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:14 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,349,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Aeroman wrote:

I agree completely but creationists believe that the earth is only six thousand years old, give or take a decade, and this link says this is how it looked eight thousand years ago. Seriously though, a great deal of this change is because of man, particularly in North and South America, but there is also a natural process that has been occurring in other parts of the world such as Africa in which the expansion of desert areas has been going on long before the impact of man's destructive behavior. In any case, the Middle East hasn't had huge forests for probably millions of years. It did at one time and the decayed plant material resulted in huge deposts of oil but that was long before the mythological adventures of Noah.
I don't know about the kinds of wood, or anything of that sort, but I just wanted to interject one thing here.

I believe the world was created, but I do not believe the earth is only six thousand years old. I believe it was created 6,000 years ago, but that God could have created it however old He wanted it to be. Just like with Adam, he wasn't a newborn when he was created, he was a full grown man...so why can't the earth have been created the same?

Just my 2c.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:11 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,753,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I don't know about the kinds of wood, or anything of that sort, but I just wanted to interject one thing here.

I believe the world was created, but I do not believe the earth is only six thousand years old. I believe it was created 6,000 years ago, but that God could have created it however old He wanted it to be. Just like with Adam, he wasn't a newborn when he was created, he was a full grown man...so why can't the earth have been created the same?

Just my 2c.
So your god created fossils et cetera just as a gag? "Oh, never mind...just joking! They're not REALLY millions of years old. Psyche!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality