Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 01:30 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Your cells "pray" to you for attention using pain (and pleasure) signals . . . prayer is like "pain" (pleasure) signals to God.
Can you possibly prove what you are saying about cells praying to my body? I don't think i've ever heard anyone put it this way.

If i'm to go down the line of your presentation, i'd say that my cells are part of my body, they "signal" me, as you put it, in order to aware my body that there is something wrong. Perhaps, it's not the cells, but my brain that is aware. Without my brain, no cell would be "hurt", or be "aware" of pain. My brain, my body and my cells are exist in this realm of reality, they are physically observed and physically present.
In case of Christian god, only human that is present, no physical god present or physically available to even contemplate what your analogy states.

How do you come to conclusion of those two scenarios being alike, is beyond my comprehension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 01:39 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Well yes, I believe I am actually talking to God, because He sometimes answers me back. Yet that is only on rare occasions.

Once when I was not praying He spoke to me and told me about praying for a job. So I kneeled down by my mothers bed and prayed for a job. As soon as I said the (A) of Amen, the phone began to ring next to me, and when I picked it up, the man on the other end of the line ask me if I could start work for their company the next monday morning.

Another time I was on a beach were everyone was drugged up or drunk, and I told God I wish I could talk to someone about Him. Suddenly, I had three people walk up to me and ask me if I knew Christ.

Another time I told Jesus I loved Him when I had just got out of my truck. Within less than a minute, a balloon almost hit me in my face, but I caught it in my hands. And when I turned it over, printed on it were the words. "I LOVE YOU".

Another time I was on my way home, and God spoke to me and told me my wife was going to have a child. When I got home my wife was sleeping, I then just leaned against our bedroom door and thought to myself. "MY poor wife, she is pregnant and does not even know it". I then went to bed, and I woke up a few hours latter to see my wife trying to throw up in the bathroom. As it turned out, she was pregnant.

I could tell you of other stories, and some even more dramatic than these, yet the point is, I have had a lifetime of experiences with God. And He is not just some kind of historical person to me. He is a very active person involved in my life. The more you reach out to Jesus, the more He reaches out to you. He is a God of wonder.
So what you're saying, is if you didn't think/speak to god, that phone call would never happened, the people you saw at the beach would've never approached you, you couldn't possibly see a balloon.

Let's look at the opposite: you spoke to god, but phone never rang?
You spoke to god but people at the beach didn't approach.
You spoke to god but balloon didn't appear.

Or another scenario:
You didn't speak to god, nor even contemplated thinking about god, but phone rang ANYWAY. Bam! You've got the job! Is this still God at work?

Do you believe in random occurrences, coincidences, or you just contribute everything to "goddidit" ?

Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 PM

140 posts, read 205,060 times
If you did not send out your resumes, even if you prayed, do you think anyone going to call you?

Do whatever you're supposed to do, skip the praying part -- if you listen to an atheist's suggestions.

There is no advantage for being faithful. Church asks you to devote money and time for praying, it's up to you if you want to do it or not. But, the church stuffs can not really help you with real life situations. You still need to do everything.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Although these are nice little stories I don't think there is anybody believer or non believer who can't share similar types of stories.

Now if you had prayed for an amputee to grow a new leg and it happened then you might be able to prove your point.
Well I know other Christians who have shared such stories with me as well, so it's not like I'm standing alone here. Also, there are numerous Muslims who are now telling us that they are hearing and seeing Jesus appear to them in dreams.
God could heal amputees if that was His desire, yet God is not trying to prove to the world who He is. God is only revealing Himself to those who seek him. Those who spend their life working against God, have no intrest in Him. And in the future, God will have no intrest in them.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
If you did not send out your resumes, even if you prayed, do you think anyone going to call you?

Do whatever you're supposed to do, skip the praying part -- if you listen to an atheist's suggestions.

There is no advantage for being faithful. Church asks you to devote money and time for praying, it's up to you if you want to do it or not. But, the church stuffs can not really help you with real life situations. You still need to do everything.
Because of my job, I do not even go to church. Yet this is not about religion, or church, it is about the person of Jesus Christ. Skip the praying part? Why don't you ask me to forget my best friend, or my parents. You think I would be as I am because of some church or religion? Far from it. I am the way I am, because I know the living God. And He is there in times of trouble, and in times when there is no trouble. I have seen things few people have experienced, and what I have seen is because of the relationship I have with Christ. Over my life, God has worked in so many wonderful ways. And I will not deny my experiences with Him, only to please the many lost and blind doubters of this world.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Please explain, why do you have to pray to your god. Does it make you feel good, or do you truly believe he answers your prayers?
Does he only answer to certain people, and avoid others, or does he answer no one, and you're just deluding yourself into possibility of a good outcome?
Is prayer just a wishful thinking, a "feel good" kind of thing?

What is the point... is..

what do you "do" in-stead?

there is a story about chris and linda..

or other silly ones and

no end to their worries occupying

minds meanwhile another

story about pat on the shoulder

is too dangerous to tell

mods, you can sack this, i'm taking the risk

Old 02-08-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:
So what you're saying, is if you didn't think/speak to god, that phone call would never happened, the people you saw at the beach would've never approached you, you couldn't possibly see a balloon.

Let's look at the opposite: you spoke to god, but phone never rang?
You spoke to god but people at the beach didn't approach.
You spoke to god but balloon didn't appear.

Or another scenario:
You didn't speak to god, nor even contemplated thinking about god, but phone rang ANYWAY. Bam! You've got the job! Is this still God at work?

Do you believe in random occurrences, coincidences, or you just contribute everything to "goddidit" ?
As I said, that was just a few of my experiences with God. Trying to boil all my experiences down to random choice here would require more faith than I have. When I was only 4 years old, I saw in a dream, or in a vision, the Anti-Christ to come. None of my family was religious, yet years latter when I heard a minister preaching, that dream or vision was brought back to me. And at the age of 17, I discovered who this person was. I have heard from the Lord, and I have encountered demons. All of this seems remote to you, because you only understand the things of this world. Yet if you took the time to seek God, much of what I am saying could be understood by you. God tells us, the wisdom of this world is but foolishness to Him. Until you have a relationship with Christ, nothing I say here will make any sense to you.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:04 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times

YouTube - The Secret History of Silicon Valley

Old 02-08-2009, 07:52 PM

63,811 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
How do you come to conclusion of those two scenarios being alike, is beyond my comprehension.
I've done my best, ShepsMom . . . they are not "alike' . . . they are analogous . . .i.e., representative of the same basic principles or concepts at work. Peace.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:46 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Talking (praying) to God is a way of releasing my sorrows, my hardships, my joys and my everyday problems to God..It is my outlet to more or less be and say exactly what I feel, asking for my needs and others needs to be cared for, and to offer my thanks for the blessings in my life..I have faith that I am heard, and if it is for my good, my prayer requests will be answered in His way, in His time..Many times I just meditate on the wonders of his creation and think about the people who are suffering and wonder why some have to suffer when others don't..I feel at those times I am also in communication with my creator..Some people would call this self-analysis and perhaps it is for some, but there is a peacefulness that assures me that I am in communication with Him..
When I post a prayer here, I do it for two reasons..someone needs words of comfort and assurance... and I know it will be heard because I am sincere and I believe He hears all prayers..
So for me, the point of prayer is to communicate one on one with God
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality