Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:18 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,068,266 times

Advertisements

What would it take to make people say that it was a work of God? Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Well, if god showed up at my door and proved he was god, and told me he did it.

Barring that, god didn't do it...(because he almost certainly doesn't exist).

Old 02-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Well, if god showed up at my door and proved he was god, and told me he did it.

Barring that, god didn't do it...(because he almost certainly doesn't exist).

So you've made up your mind that you won't believe.

Honestly? If Jesus stood at your door tonight I doubt you'd believe--you'd figure out a way to deny him.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:32 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
I'd have to see valid picture id...There have been and still are many who claim to be Jesus, who by the way, if he ever existed was only a man.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,627 times
Quote:
So you've made up your mind that you won't believe.

Honestly? If Jesus stood at your door tonight I doubt you'd believe--you'd figure out a way to deny him.
He'd certainly have to prove he was god before I'd believe it. I'm not the type to just take something on "faith" because that's the quickest road to self-delusion.

And in any case, how is that any different from us repeatedly showing you proof of things like evolution, and yet you still deny that they are true?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
I suppose I would have to believe in God first.
Second, I would need to believe that God does active "work" in the material realm.
Third, I would need to understand why a "working" God might choose to do that specific work.
Fourth, I would need to be confident enough in those answers (which I do not see as definitely answerable) to actually repeat them.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
He'd certainly have to prove he was god before I'd believe it. I'm not the type to just take something on "faith" because that's the quickest road to self-delusion.

And in any case, how is that any different from us repeatedly showing you proof of things like evolution, and yet you still deny that they are true?

I still haven't seen "proof" of evolution.

What's your best evidence?

Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,458,259 times
Quote:
I still haven't seen "proof" of evolution.

What's your best evidence?
What on Earth does this have to do with the crash of the airplane, whether or not it was a miracle, or even whether or not God exists?

As far as the OP goes, I agree. It was not a miracle. A very unlikely event all the way around? Absolutely. I find it funny that people seem to attribute the word 'miracle' only to good things that happen but always leave out the bad. This, of course, probably has more to do with the traditional usage of the word but I am often under the impression that it is tossed around with a sense of awe and wonderment to give credit to a God when people often don't consider the wider implications involved (on the negative side). It's as though they conveniently ignore just how rare it is for a flock of birds (which at this point seems to still be the leading theory in how the plane was brought down) to bring an airplane down but simultaneously justify their awe and wonderment of a water landing made by a pilot who had close to 20,000 flight hours and many years of experience behind him.

People look at the amazing water landing and say "There can be no other way," but in reality, while the landing was indeed rather extraordinary, it really was not outside the confines of capability of the aircraft or the highly trained flight crew. The crew used the aircraft in the precise fashion that the aircraft was designed for, I don't see how that's a 'miracle'.

Crews frequently practice multiple engine failure scenarios in the simulator. Most of the time, the reactions are rather robotic because a certain sequence of necessary events in the case of an emergency have been drilled into their heads in order to give the crew (and any passengers) the highest probability to survive the crash.

One could certainly attribute the outcome of the crash to a deity interfering but I don't see how they can justifiably do that in light of so many other aircraft disasters that don't end this way.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:03 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
It would take a work of God to make me say that it was a work of God. What happened was that a very well-qualified pilot did his job. Period.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 3,244 times
Here is the 232 video link..

United Airlines Flight 232 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AirDisaster.Com: Special Report: United Airlines Flight 232

Video

United Airlines DC-10 Flight 232 crash

No idea why the links get mangled like that but advanced editing did not seem to offer any remedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality