Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 AM

857 posts, read 1,421,944 times

Advertisements

mahmoud mrt brings an interesting quote from the quaran and I would be interested to know if there is a similar line in the bible about this subject. But I am pretty sure its in the bible somewhere that it is every chrisitians duty to spread the "word of god" to anyone who has not received it (thus missionaries and the like).

but back to the quaran quote, if people who never heard about the prophet can go to heaven, then wouldnt it be in everyone's interest to STOP spreading it around, forget all of it and all the next generations would all get to go to heaven because they are unaware of the prophet/jesus/ whatever??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
...you never even had the opportunity to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour?

So if you happen to be born in a place where the people around you are Christians, or where you are exposed to Christianity, then you likely have ample opportunity to do whatever you need to do to get to heaven, should you choose to.

However, if you were born in a place where there are no Christians and you don't even know of the existence of Christianity, and/or everyone else is another faith (i.e. Hindu, Buddhist, etc), and you never have to opportunity to know and accept Jesus Christ, is that reason enough for you to go to hell? If so, why should you be punished for something you can't help?
People go to hell because they violate God's law--not because they never had a chance to meet Jesus.

Does God know that they wouldn't repent if they could? I think so. Perhaps he predestines them to not be saved.

I don't know. I can only tell you that the Bible is absolutely clear that w/out Jesus, you will burn in hell.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 AM

589 posts, read 1,559,547 times
The concept of a "soul" going to heaven or to a burning "hell" after death is not in the Bible. The truth is when we die we lose consciousness until the Resurrection to face judgment.

The Bible said after the 1000-yr rule of Jesus Christ is over... comes The Great White Throne Judgment... when all humans who ever lived will be in a Resurrection and to be judged by God. It is a JUDGMENT... that means every person will be judged accordingly by God who knows everything! People who never has the chance in life to hear about the Gospel or about God will learn the truth and then given the chance to make the decision to accept or reject the offer of salvation.

Beyond Today - Is There Life After Death?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilvan View Post
The concept of a "soul" going to heaven or to a burning "hell" after death is not in the Bible. The truth is when we die we lose consciousness until the Resurrection to face judgment.
So when David said he'd see his baby after he died, he was wrong?

When Paul said to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord is wrong?

When Jesus told the thief on the cross he'd be with him that day in paradise, he was just joking?
Quote:

The Bible said after the 1000-yr rule of Jesus Christ is over... comes The Great White Throne Judgment... when all humans who ever lived will be in a Resurrection and to be judged by God. It is a JUDGMENT... that means every person will be judged accordingly by God who knows everything! People who never has the chance in life to hear about the Gospel or about God will learn the truth and then given the chance to make the decision to accept or reject the offer of salvation.

Beyond Today - Is There Life After Death?

That's not really Biblical. There will be a judgment...but not a chance to accept salvation, as you state.

In any event, what are you saying salvation will be based off of at that time?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:10 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,276 times
People who do not believe in the bible cannot go to hell.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
People who do not believe in the bible cannot go to hell.

If I don't believe gravity, do I still fall when I walk off a high building?

If I don't believe in trucks, do I still die if I get hit by one when I'm walking on the interstate?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

If I don't believe in trucks, do I still die if I get hit by one when I'm walking on the interstate?
Answer this honestly: Do you believe in Mictlan the ninth level of the underwold? All people who die of old age go there and it is hellish.

Why not avoid the risk of ending up there and make it so that we die in battle or a thunderstorm during our last days? I mean just because you don't believe in it doesn't mean it's not true right?

Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM

23,010 posts, read 34,368,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
...you never even had the opportunity to accept Jesus Christ as your lord and saviour?

So if you happen to be born in a place where the people around you are Christians, or where you are exposed to Christianity, then you likely have ample opportunity to do whatever you need to do to get to heaven, should you choose to.

However, if you were born in a place where there are no Christians and you don't even know of the existence of Christianity, and/or everyone else is another faith (i.e. Hindu, Buddhist, etc), and you never have to opportunity to know and accept Jesus Christ, is that reason enough for you to go to hell? If so, why should you be punished for something you can't help?
Romans 1:18-22 tells us that everyone will have an opportunity to know about Jesus and know the truth and no one will have an excuse for not knowing God.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:58 AM

857 posts, read 1,421,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

I find it Funny that a religious person would bring up not believing in gravity, Sir Isaac Newton was persecuted by the church because it was blasphemy to question what "obviously" was gods work. But now his 'controversial' theory is accepted as a law.

Second ur comparing a campfire story about the evil place u go if u dont listen to your parents/church to something that has significant scientific and mathmatical backing. i can show u evidence to prove gravity, do u have anything to prove to me there is a hell??

Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,379,099 times
god does not punish the innocent and reward the wicked that is what we do. he is not very much like us is he.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality