Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times

Advertisements

I share the same beliefs as the late George Carlin...

YouTube - George Carlin on Religion and God
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,420 times
agnostic soldier,

"Your beliefs are fallacious."

Are you going to explain in what way my beliefs are fallacious or just keep hurling judgments?

"You formed a conclusion about the topic before you started the thread then reject all of the evidence that contradict your beliefs and assume that someone is attacking you when they give objective information that disproves your beliefs."

In my OP I ask the question: Are we all religious? I did this for the purpose of having an open and honest discussion. I'm still here and I've been here all along vice ducking in and out of the discussion whenever things become uncomfortable.

Please point out all of this supposed "objective information" and "evidence that contradicts" my beliefs.

"The fact is though that people who don't believe in god aren't religious."

Again, if you could take a little bit of time to articulate why you feel this way, vice throwing around your agnostic/atheistic dogma, it may go along way towards actually advancing some sort of dialog.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:40 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Tigetmax24, before I put you on the twit filter, I'll say this. Religion is defined as a set of beliefs, behaviors and practices pertaining to the supernatural. The only thing atheism is, is the lack of belief in gods, it has nothing to do with how someone acts or behaves. Also, I'm not being dogmatic. Dogmatism is defined as an authoritative and precisely formulated statement of a religious doctrine that is advanced not for discussion, but belief. Your beliefs are fallacious because they are wrong. If someone has faith that doesn't make them religious. I could have faith that I'll turn into a giant bumblebee, that doesn't mean I'm religious, it really doesn't. It's the same with atheism and religion. Whether or not atheism requires faith, that still doesn't mean an atheist is religious. Atheism says nothing about someone's moral code, philosophy etc., all it says is that someone doesn't belief in god, no matter how much you want it to.

Old 03-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
Everyone is religious about something: brushing their teeth, having oatmeal for breakfast, getting a weekly hair cut, taking a certain route to work. It simply means that they follow one action "religiously" and does not have anything, necessarilly, to do with God. So...to respond to the OP, yes, we are all religious.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,624,420 times
agnostic soldier,

"before I put you on the twit filter..."

Like I said, just duck out when things get uncomfortable and you actually face the prospect of having to articulate a cogent response.

"Religion is defined as a set of beliefs, behaviors and practices pertaining to the supernatural. The only thing atheism is, is the lack of belief in gods, it has nothing to do with how someone acts or behaves."

The Op asks if we are "basically" religious. You dogmatically disagree and fail to point out how or why.

Our choice to believe in God's existence or nonexistence has everything to do with the way we act, behave and formulate a world view. Any honest and informed (even semi-intelligent) atheist/agnostic would disagree with your assertion. Your thought process here (if it can be accurately labeled as such) is totally absurd. THINK ABOUT IT.
"Also, I'm not being dogmatic. Dogmatism is defined as an authoritative and precisely formulated statement of a religious doctrine that is advanced not for discussion, but belief."

The concept of dogma is simply another way of describing absolutism, irrefutability or anti-skepticism. In other words, it means being ****-sure of your beliefs despite lack of reasoned evidence to support such beliefs.
I think this describes your attitude quite accurately.

"Your beliefs are fallacious because they are wrong."

Dogmatic assertions such as this only serve to further prove my point.

"If someone has faith that doesn't make them religious. I could have faith that I'll turn into a giant bumblebee, that doesn't mean I'm religious, it really doesn't. It's the same with atheism and religion. Whether or not atheism requires faith, that still doesn't mean an atheist is religious."

Where have I asserted that use of faith automatically makes one religious? I haven't. However, I have accurately pointed out that faith is common to all world views.

"Atheism says nothing about someone's moral code, philosophy etc., all it says is that someone doesn't belief in god, no matter how much you want it to.
"

To take the atheist position is to adopt the negative statement that "there is no God." Negatives cannot be proved. (Logic 101)

Old 03-26-2009, 05:18 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
"To take the atheist position is to adopt the negative statement that "there is no God." Negatives cannot be proved. (Logic 101)"

A common objection to atheism is that it is impossible to "prove a negative." This objection is exposed as a myth

So can you prove the positive side of that statement, that there is a God?...

I know the myth of "you can't prove a negative" circulates throughout the nontheist community, and it is good to dispel myths whenever we can. As it happens, there really isn't such a thing as a "purely" negative statement, because every negative entails a positive, and vice versa. Thus, "there are no crows in this box" entails "this box contains something other than crows"

Proving a Negative
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality