Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times

Advertisements

Religious organizations tend to be very conservative and slow to change. For anyone who believes that the Bible or any other religious text is directly coming from the God they believe in I can understand why they are reluctant to change anything. Unfortunately there are many negative influences in many religions such as the treatment of women that clearly need to change. I don't think it's a matter of being scared, I think that many religious individuals see progressive ideas as being in direct contradiction of their basic beliefs so they have no intention of changing. The change that we're seeing is due to younger generations who have a more modern view of the world than their parents. People generally hold their religious views for their entire life and that explains why the change is so slow. There are a great many Christians who see the Bible as clearly giving advice on every subject that mankind will have to deal with and there are no grey areas. This is particularly true in America but there are believers all over the world who share this opinion and it will take several generations before this point of view is replaced by more open minded and progressive people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 04:17 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Religious organizations tend to be very conservative and slow to change. For anyone who believes that the Bible or any other religious text is directly coming from the God they believe in I can understand why they are reluctant to change anything. Unfortunately there are many negative influences in many religions such as the treatment of women that clearly need to change. I don't think it's a matter of being scared, I think that many religious individuals see progressive ideas as being in direct contradiction of their basic beliefs so they have no intention of changing. The change that we're seeing is due to younger generations who have a more modern view of the world than their parents. People generally hold their religious views for their entire life and that explains why the change is so slow. There are a great many Christians who see the Bible as clearly giving advice on every subject that mankind will have to deal with and there are no grey areas. This is particularly true in America but there are believers all over the world who share this opinion and it will take several generations before this point of view is replaced by more open minded and progressive people.
Yes you are absolutely right. can't wait to see my mom so I can kick her, come on that nonsense is right up their with religion and animal rights activist and how we have dominion over animals. Old tired argument that doesn't wash. We fundamentalist men are closet misogynist

Old 02-17-2009, 04:38 PM

8,989 posts, read 14,560,693 times
I apologize....I am not in a good mood. You guys are having serious discussion and I.........I apologize. Please forgive me

Old 02-17-2009, 04:42 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Thanks MontanaGuy,

I've alway like to read what you have to say . you seem to put alot of thaught behind your words.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Simply because you believe the Bible is His Word doesn't mean it is.

The thrust of humanity is toward unity. Are we to not seek new ideas and better ways? If so, then we would still be living in feudalism. We'd still have slavery. We'd still subjugate women as inferior and minorities as inhuman and homosexuals as... well, we're still working on it.

By Fundamentalist's logic, we should all just turn our minds off, follow a book, and never actually use the minds God gave us. All the while, we should consider ourselves worthless and pathetic.

If that's what God wants me to be, that God has no place in my life because I wish to use the gifts I have been given to fulfill my highest potential.

Please, Fundamentalist, consider the possibility that you don't have all the answers. It's the first step to world peace.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:54 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Fundamentalist wrote:
Quote:
I apologize....I am not in a good mood. You guys are having serious discussion and I.........I apologize. Please forgive me
No problem at all, I hope your mood gets better. We all get that way.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:07 PM

733 posts, read 4,653,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
Why does progressive thinking scare so many Christians?...
Because it is exactly what that - THINKING!

Progressive or transformational Christians take the bible seriously, but not literally. We ponder great questions, consider the context of scripture, analyze theological constructs within the social history of the time the scriptures were written, and relate Jesus not only to the 1st century but to the 21st century. We're not constrained to some "moving finger of God" concept when it comes to the bible. That freedom of thought scares the bejibbers out of people who are intent on finding one, and only one, answer to life's difficult questions.

John Robinson told the Puritans when they left for New England that "the lord hath yet more truth and light to break forth out of his holy word." Progressive, transformational Christians continue to search for more truth and light coming from God's word. As I've noted before, for many of us our faith may be 2000 years old, but our thinking is not.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:14 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
imho, neither religion as such, nor the scriptures, nor the institution of any church ought to scare anyone.

Fear comes from experienced intimidation and indoctrination, and to deal with these would require a lot of introspection.

as it appears (to me) many people have lost the capacity for this. question is why and to whose benefit this can be.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:41 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,137,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
imho, neither religion as such, nor the scriptures, nor the institution of any church ought to scare anyone.

Fear comes from experienced intimidation and indoctrination, and to deal with these would require a lot of introspection.

as it appears (to me) many people have lost the capacity for this. question is why and to whose benefit this can be.
I like this , anyone have something to add?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:19 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeeBolt View Post
I like this , anyone have something to add?
yeah,throw that Bible away or any other holy book that was written by man, imagine if you will, that there was no such thing and people started treating each other with decency and respect,not out of fear of some holy writings,but because it was the right thing to do,at the same time there would be no constructions on thinking for oneself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality