Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

Maybe the ancient religions that practice dropping people into volcanosas a sacrifice, believed it was hell down inside the volcano. When they saw a volcano erupt, they figured the hot firery lava came from hell therefore hell is a continuously burning fire. This might explain the phrase, "Descended into hell."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:29 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It's presented as Gehenna was known by the Jews in Jerusalem...basically a fire pit where the fire never goes out and the worms always have food to eat. It was basically a trash pile that was continuously burning.

I don't know that anyone has a definitive meaning of it--but only that it will not be pleasant.

this symbolism was good in those days, but cannot possibly denote today's problems endangering mankind, spiritually, physically, socially..

be kind enough to consider this.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:36 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,874 times
How many ways can you have a burning sensation with no flames present? Parsing the semantics of a chemical reaction in hopes of debunking a concept one would like to avoid is the equivalent of rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:03 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,438 times
More about Hell :

"O you who believe! Save yourselves and your families from a Fire whose fuel is men and stones, over which are [appointed] angels stern [and] severe, who flinch not [from executing] the Commands they receive from Allâh, but do [precisely what] they are commanded." (66:6)

"Certainly! You [disbelievers] and that which you are worshipping now besides Allâh, are [but] fuel for Hell! [Surely] you will enter it. Had these [idols etc] been âliha [gods] they would not have entered there [Hell] and all of them will abide therein." (21:98-99)

Standing over Hell are MIGHTY and STERN angels who never disobey Allâh subhânahu wa ta'ala Who has created them. They do whatever He commands them.

"Soon I will cast him into Hellfire. And what will explain to you what Hellfire is? Naught does it permit to endure, and naught does it leave alone! Darkening and changing the colour of man! Over it are nineteen [angels as guardians and keepers of Hell]" (74:26-30)

Old 02-19-2009, 12:23 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,250,579 times
4:56 Lo! Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment. Lo! Allah is ever Mighty, Wise.

4:57 And as for those who believe and do good works, We shall make them enter Gardens underneath which rivers flow - to dwell therein for ever; there for them are pure companions - and We shall make them enter plenteous shade.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever asks Allaah for Paradise three times, Paradise will say, ‘O Allaah, admit him to Paradise.’ Whoever seeks protection from the Fire three times, Hell will say, ‘O Allaah, protect him from the Fire.’”

Old 02-19-2009, 03:59 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,700,243 times
Hell is about as real as Hades, funny how Christianity took ideas from other religions and integrated into there own. Kinda like Borg.

Hell imho is not so much sposed to be a real place as an idea to scare you into doing the right thing. Personally sitting in a garden like park (Heaven) for all eternity sounds a bit hellish itself. After about 2 hours I'd be bored outta my mind.

Non-believers have nothing to worry about, as they don't beleive in it, they can't Sin against a God/religion they have no belief in. Thats like saying we'll all get punished by Santa Clause because we stopped beleiving in him (and guess what he's not real either).

Sinners are beleivers who are knowingly going against the laws of their Lords and are punished for those deeds (in their mind), You can't be a sinner to that god if you don't accept those rules and follow other faiths or beliefs. By that rule everyone, including Christians, would be a non-believer to something else somewhere, and we'd all be punished for something after death. But i know i know, Christians are always right and everyone else is always wrong, regardless of the amount of proof about any sort of afterlife and judgement processes. lol How about we just worry about life.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:07 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Hell is about as real as Hades, funny how Christianity took ideas from other religions and integrated into there own. Kinda like Borg.
I like that. It describes the method and conduct of the early apostate Clergy to a T.

You will be assimilated into the collective.

Resistance is futile.

Convert or die by the sword.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:50 PM

7 posts, read 7,658 times
HELL is not real. In fact, it's the biggest man made lie to control the masses and it seems to be working pretty well because they are falling for it hook line and sinker. I believe in God, but to believe that our Creator would throw someone in HELL for all eternity is ruining the loving character of God. It makes God worse than Satan. Do you really think that God would disobey something he told us to do.?? Love our enemies? John 3:16....**** for whosoever believeth in me shall not perish but have everlasting life. It DOES NOT SAY whosoever believeth in me shall not spend eternity in hell...
The Bible has been mistranslated for centuries to control the masses. For Biblical refencerces...let me know...The word HELL was never used in the copies of the original scriptures. NEVER

Old 09-17-2016, 02:28 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
hell may be feared with some religions, but I am a Christian and have no fear about hell, now non believes should be afraid with GOOD reason.
What 'good reason' do you have in mind ?
To which hell are you referring, the permanent non-biblical hell taught as Scripture, of the Bible's temporary hell ?
Does anyone righteous go to hell ? _____
The day Jesus died, didn't the dead righteous Jesus go to hell according to Acts 2:27 ? ______
If biblical hell was a permanent place then Jesus would still be in hell.
What about Satan, will Satan ever go to hell, or end up in that symbolic ' second death ' - Revelation 21:8
Since Jesus will destroy Satan - Hebrews 2:14 B, then ' second death' is a fitting term for: destruction.
The wicked ( Satan is wicked ) will be destroyed forever - Psalm 92:7

Who does Romans 6:23; Romans 6:7 apply to, just Christians ?
The majority of people who have lived, have lived and died before Jesus - John 3:13, so how can they be Christians?

Wasn't Jesus well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures?
Jesus often quoted or referred to them in his teachings. That is why Jesus taught sleep in death - John 11:11-14
Jesus' teaching is in harmony with Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13; Ecclesiastes 9:5 that the dead know nothing. So, as we do Not know the passing of time while asleep, the dead know nothing while asleep in the grave ( biblical hell - Revelation 1:18 ). That is why the ' future tense' is used at Acts 24:15 that there ' is going to be ' a resurrection..... A happy-and-healthy physical resurrection for the majority of mankind when Day One starts of Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth begins.

Old 09-17-2016, 02:31 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW123 View Post
No, I am not a believer. But for those who do believe, that is a major abuse to them. I am challenging their brains to think about this coercive lie.

When you are talking about fire, pain, ... those are natural world's physical stuff. Shouldn't everything religious stays strictly in the "supernatural" world and never comes out intimidates the faithfuls with stupid lies?

Not all Christians believe in hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality