Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:15 AM

605 posts, read 1,108,146 times

Advertisements

The claim is often made that religion has been the cause of much human grief from genocides to hate groups to suicide bombers. Others counter this by saying that religion is not the cause, rather, it is sick people using religion as an excuse or vehicle to express their sick intentions. In other words, the people who spout religion to back up their madness were crazy before the came into the religion.

My question is, why is religion such a conducive outlet? What does religion have or possess that gives the Phelps, Aryans, Al Quedas, Nation of Islams of the world fuel for their fires?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,379,000 times
No comment on Islam since I am not informed as much as I'd like to be. We know that there are radical Muslims that give this religion a bad name, when there are many Muslims that simply go about the business of living.

However, being a member of a Christian faith, I can tell you there are enough hypocritical Christians/Catholics out there, varying from those who bomb abortion clinics to those who create petty infighting among their cliques within parishes. It can really shake one's faith.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:31 AM

598 posts, read 917,519 times
People can be controlled to do crazy things in many causes: political, geographical, racial, ... religion certainly provides conveniences for such.

In the craziest people list, there's pretty good mix of all types.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:39 AM

2,332 posts, read 2,840,489 times
Anonymously said: I like you, anyway.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:46 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic View Post
Anonymously said: I like you, anyway.

Boah, where is Schindler, to get (on) that list?

Old 02-23-2009, 10:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
To many people use their intrepretion of what religion tell them to back up their actions which are actually their own personal agendas.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
To many people use their intrepretion of what religion tell them to back up their actions which are actually their own personal agendas.
Ahh....well said man....In the Quran, God warns against those who interpret His words to suit themselves

Old 02-23-2009, 11:25 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,866,256 times
Well, just a suspicion mind you, but....I have felt for some time that the commonality is the belief that a mythological thingy is really out there. If one ascribes to this particular notion, then, since you are believing in things unproved, unseen, and only written of in text thousands of years old when people didn't have the science to ascribe the way the universe in particular and the earth in general, behaves, or the mechanisms that allow life to begin, evolve, and flourish. Tis neither fortunate nor unfortunate that both ignorance and paranoia have, in all probability, been around as long as has mankind. It is, I suspect a simple fact of life, I also suspect this same ignorance and paranois is affecting a similar percentage in the developed countries and a greater extent in underdeveloped countries where education is the baliwick of the privileged. Ole "whats' his name" didn't preach his version of "helter skelter" to university graduates. For the most part, members of Al Quaida have never studied at any major college or university, Bin Laden was better educated and rich, ergo, easier for him to sway those of lesser learning, and/or intelligence (I understand that lesser learning is not the same thing as lesser intelligence) Unfortunately, I suspect that the really bright ones, lead the not-so-bright ones, in a fantasy of death and destruction, preying on and recruiting predominantly from those on the outskirts of society, the poor, the marginally retarded, those wishing to belong to something, outsiders of social castes. They start with a base, a noisy base of four or five, enthusedly greet newcomers, tell them how smart they are to understand your vision, listen to, commiserate with them, tell you need their help to fulfill "OUR" vision and attract "the right kind of people" to the cause. The hungry, the poor, the disenfranchised will listen, and, if promising all sorts of goodies, they will join.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 02-23-2009 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, just a suspicion mind you, but....I have felt for some time that the commonality is the belief that a mythological thingy is really out there. If one ascribes to this particular notion, then, since you are believing in things unproved, unseen, and only written of in text thousands of years old when people didn't have the science to ascribe the way the universe in particular and the earth in general behaves, or the mechanisms that allow life to begin, evolve, and flourish.
Ahh...but what if a text existed and still exist totally unchanged from the 1st time it was introduced a thousand years ago; and it revealed stuff that could only be understood today with the advances made in science..would that be mythological then?

Old 02-23-2009, 11:41 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, just a suspicion mind you, but....I have felt for some time that the commonality is the belief that a mythological thingy is really out there. If one ascribes to this particular notion, then, since you are believing in things unproved, unseen, and only written of in text thousands of years old when people didn't have the science to ascribe the way the universe in particular and the earth in general behaves, or the mechanisms that allow life to begin, evolve, and flourish. Tis neither fortunate nor unfortunate that both ignorance and paranoia have, in all probability, been around as long as has mankind. It is, I suspect a simple fact of life, I also suspect this same ignorance and paranois is affecting a similar percentage in the developed countries and a greater extent in underdeveloped countries where education is the baliwick of the privileged. Ole "whats' his name" didn't preach his version of "helter skelter" to university graduates. For the most part, members of Al Quaida have never studied at any major college or university, Bin Laden was better educated and rich, ergo, easier for him to sway those of lesser learning, and/or intelligence (I understand that lesser learning is not the same thing as lesser intelligence) Unfortunately, I suspect that the really bright ones, lead the not-so-bright ones, in a fantasy of death and destruction, preying on and recruiting predominantly from those on the outskirts of society, the poor, the marginally retarded, those wishing to belong to something, outsiders of social castes. They start with a base, a noisy base of four or five, enthusedly greet newcomers, tell them how smart they are to understand your vision, listen to, commiserate with them, tell you need their help to fulfill "OUR" vision and attract "the right kind of people" to the cause. The hungry, the poor, the disenfranchised will listen, and, if promising all sorts of goodies, they will join.

yes, they do listen, and want to believe... that there is HOPE, or should they not precisely do that?

Promises, promises ... eventually perceived as lies, ... causes death by natural causes ... the more elegant version for those who made it somewhere in life..

oh perfect(ed) administration!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality