Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:35 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times

Advertisements

I think it's unfortunate that many seem to think if the bible isn't all 100 percent literally true they will not be able to have a relationship with god. It's not like you have to throw out your relationship with god....your spirtual side as I'd call it, away just because a book isn't true.

Yes, your religious views may change if you discount the bible....but religion doesn't have much to do with being spirtual...trust me. I was born in a very religious home....I've seen this first hand. In my case religion kept me in fear of that nasty vengful god who it seemed could turn on a dime if you didn't worship him and feed his ego.

It just isn't like that...really it isn't. Less religion and more spirtuality would truly be a better thing in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 09:48 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
We have huge, distant planets in our solar system that are much larger than Earth. Can anyone fathom the incredible distance to other solar systems, suns and planets, millions of light years away? Our Earth is a tiny, meaningless speck compared to the giants in space. And yet, it seems that all the biblical focus is not even on this entire planet, but on a small area known during biblical times. Why would god create this incredible vastness and then concentrate everything on a small spot of Earth? This doesn’t make sense. The only reasonable explanation is that the people who wrote the bible couldn’t, in their wildest dreams, imagine the vastness of space and all the bodies distant from Earth. They thought the Earth was the largest object, the center of the universe and the stars just a short distance above it. Another reason why creationism can't be true.

Another reason why the bible is not infallable, perhaps. Disproving creation? Try again Vivaldi.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
I think it's unfortunate that many seem to think if the bible isn't all 100 percent literally true they will not be able to have a relationship with god. It's not like you have to throw out your relationship with god....your spirtual side as I'd call it, away just because a book isn't true.

Yes, your religious views may change if you discount the bible....but religion doesn't have much to do with being spirtual...trust me. I was born in a very religious home....I've seen this first hand. In my case religion kept me in fear of that nasty vengful god who it seemed could turn on a dime if you didn't worship him and feed his ego.

It just isn't like that...really it isn't. Less religion and more spirtuality would truly be a better thing in my opinion.

I believe the Bible is inspired. If the Bible is inspired, then it must be inerrant. I don't believe that God would inspire a work, then let it be in error.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:11 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,957,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I believe the Bible is inspired. If the Bible is inspired, then it must be inerrant. I don't believe that God would inspire a work, then let it be in error.
I belive the bible is man trying to explain some pretty wicked stuff that was going on in the best way that they could at the time. But I also believe that we were created with an ability to use reason, and we have disproved many, many things that were thought to be true in those days, and so are included in the bible. Why would God create the earth in 7 days like six thousand years ago or whatever, and then trick us by giving us the ability to use science to carbon date life forms from millions of years ago? Is God a prankster? Or a liar? Or is the book written by humans who were wrong about how the earth was created?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:19 AM

33,524 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
I guess you haven't read it huh?...It's chock full of errors,,,Ya can't miss'em

Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 AM

378 posts, read 625,994 times
You are definitely right about the universe being huge. But what about what was there before it? Was it just blank space? Something had to cause the very first start of the universe. But we really can't know what God is like, it's like fish wondering what's outside their tank.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:07 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
Quote:
Can you show me where the Bible says that it's the center of the universe?
He never mentioned the Bible and you proved me right Christians can't state their case without a Bible reference.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:13 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,698,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
You are definitely right about the universe being huge. But what about what was there before it? Was it just blank space? Something had to cause the very first start of the universe. But we really can't know what God is like, it's like fish wondering what's outside their tank.
Think about that. If God is an actual entity, how could It have existed in nothingness (pre-universe). This line of thinking really does border line comic book stories. But as such, the Being you call God, would have to have been created at some point too.

Personally I think gods/godesses in general got created by humans years ago to have something to explain the unexplainable (at the time) and to hold some sway over the masses at the same time.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:

I can respect your opinion. Let me ask you a question though. Does god inspire you ? I'd guess your answer is yes and that is a wonderful thing. Let me ask you another question. Have you ever made a mistake, error in judgement or done something you feel ashamed of ?

I'd guess the answer to this all these questions is yes. So if god inspires you and yet you've made mistakes, errors and things your ashamed of.....how can this be ?

Just because god inspires you doesn't make you perfect......nor were those who wrote the bible. They were not clones of god not did they have perfect wisdom.....they were human and humans make mistakes all the time.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:23 PM

10 posts, read 22,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Good question. I bet the Christians won't be able to answer it without quoting scriptures tho
Of course not. We Christians depend on the Bible like a traveler depends on a road map. It is God's word to us and we cherish it. I wish more people could understand that. We are totally dependant on God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality