Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Bible Thumper

Watch through to the end! This is funny! I know it will tick some of you off, but I enjoyed it. The group hug is priceless!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 04:23 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
haha - there's a special place in hell for Buddhists and masturbators. That was great.

Great that the students were the ones who came through with an act of love. That says it all.

I've seen guys like that clear across the country making the exact same arguments, and they are always met with the same response.

I don't think they realize that we of the college educated ilk have heard their beliefs since childhood in the U.S., assessed their views, and dismissed them as incorrect long before they start preaching.

I send sacrificial offerings to your poor soul in the "Deep South Mississippi". I can only imagine.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM

5,004 posts, read 15,352,184 times
That was great. During my college days in Berkeley, Ca we used to stand around (or sit) and listen to these Bible thumpers. So entertaining, but I admit, this one was better than any I heard. I like how the students would say that they were masturbators, Buddhists, etc. And then they hugged the guy. Every large campus must have at least one preacher. I don't know if they have them in the deep south. It is believed that all in the south are already saved.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:14 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
As a Christian, these types embarress, and depress me.

I can't imagine his type would truely compell anyone to consider Christ.

It must be pointed out that the main crowd that rejected Christ, when He spoke to crowds, were the legalists of their time.

If Christ were to walk onto a campus today, I truely believe many would be compelled to listen to His message.

Which would not be recognizable to Crazy Bible Thumper People.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 PM

11 posts, read 16,647 times
LaughingOutLoud!

Old 03-03-2009, 08:15 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
We have two guys kinda like that in my town. They like to go downtown and harass people. Shopkeepers will call the police, saying that they are disturbing the peace. I saw them get arrested one time, and they were screaming holy hell, that the police were doing the devils work, and that all of Rome, Georgia would be purged in the flames. One of them had a gimpy left hand. The other, a big red birthmark on his balding head. We call them "Lefty" and "Gorbachev". They go down to the corner of Riverside and Veterans Memorial (where the Braves have a Single A farm club) on game nights and hold up really original signs like "Honk if you love Jesus" and "John 3:16". I know these guys are doing what they do because they care about other people, but they just do it all wrong. So I went with a couple of friends one night, right across the street and we had our own signs. "I like cheese", and "Sherman was a Bastard!". We got a lot more honks and waves.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
This guy just needs to smoke some weed and chill out.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM

11 posts, read 16,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
This guy just needs to smoke some weed and chill out.
Or get some sex.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:59 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
We have two guys kinda like that in my town. They like to go downtown and harass people. Shopkeepers will call the police, saying that they are disturbing the peace. I saw them get arrested one time, and they were screaming holy hell, that the police were doing the devils work, and that all of Rome, Georgia would be purged in the flames. One of them had a gimpy left hand. The other, a big red birthmark on his balding head. We call them "Lefty" and "Gorbachev". They go down to the corner of Riverside and Veterans Memorial (where the Braves have a Single A farm club) on game nights and hold up really original signs like "Honk if you love Jesus" and "John 3:16". I know these guys are doing what they do because they care about other people, but they just do it all wrong. So I went with a couple of friends one night, right across the street and we had our own signs. "I like cheese", and "Sherman was a Bastard!". We got a lot more honks and waves.
There are a few churches in my neck of the woods that encourage such silly behaviour, (well, except for the getting arrested part. I haven't seen that happen). They wave Bibles, (big enough to choke a mule with), hold up signs, (with different sayings and Bible verses), and yell, and scream at the top of their voices at any and all, who are at the stop lights, (that's where they usually congregate, is the traffic lights, either on the street corners, or in the median, itself, for those momentary captive audiences). I give them credit that they think they are doing a service, as such, (saving people from hell-fire, and all that), but in actuality, they are nothing more than an annoyance to the majority of folks. People flip them off, yell back at them, crank up their music, or keep their windows rolled up, and simply ignore them. I daresay that these "churchy" people believe they are martyrs for a cause, especially on the worst hot, humid summer days!

These people are an embarrassment to most Christians around here, no matter how well-meaning they may be in their message to "the unwashed masses". They are very tiresome, not to mention that I always wonder if one of them isn't going to wind up getting hurt. Going at it the way they do, I can only presume that they have never read those parts of the New Testament that clearly show that Jesus never conducted himself in such an in-your-face manner, (well, other than the temple incident, driving out the money changers, but that was something entirely different). I've never read that he waved a big, fat scroll around, held up a sign, and screamed at folks, as they were riding by on their camels. LOL! I've always thought these pushy people need to go back to a remedial Bible class. Apparently, none of them understand the idea that being screamed at, and called names, and any other un-Christlike behaviour they engage in, to spread their message, doesn't exactly call to the hearts of others. After all, if you're trying to draw others to the one you worship, and purportedly follow, it would seem best to emulate the way he did things. But, that's just me.

By the way, I got a chuckle out of your "I like cheese", and "Sherman was a Bastard", signs! If I'd been driving by, I would have honked and waved too!

Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Georgiafrog and CelticLady:

Big news, eh? no other worries to make the headlines?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality