Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:18 PM

339 posts, read 1,168,944 times

Advertisements

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OT was first written in Hebrew, then translated to Greek, English and other languages, and the NT was written in Greek and translated to English and other languages?

Given the differences in meaning you can get when you translate something from one language to another, plus the fact that languages are always evolving and even a few hundred year can make a HUGE difference in language structure and definitions, how could the original literal meaning have been encapsulated in the modern version of the English language bible (let alone the bibles that have been translated from English to other more obscure languages)? Even the most subtle nuances could completely change the meaning. Anyone who has studied a language, even their own, would realise this.

Also, if you are an english-speaking literalist and do take everything the bible says word for word as true, would it be a good idea to at least learn Greek and/or Hebrew so you can read the original versions, as they were written? Has anyone done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 09:22 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Good points. I wonder the same. How can anybody take the bible literally.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
Everything we need is in the Bible, whether it be wisdom, encouragement, conviction, warning, comfort, it's there. God could have included many other things, but God decided this was sufficient to guide us. Then He compressed it all that knowledge in a book small enough for us to carry around. If God can do all that, He can certainly also keep it free from error.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
...like promoting slavery and abusing women and...

Old 03-07-2009, 01:34 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OT was first written in Hebrew, then translated to Greek, English and other languages, and the NT was written in Greek and translated to English and other languages?

Given the differences in meaning you can get when you translate something from one language to another, plus the fact that languages are always evolving and even a few hundred year can make a HUGE difference in language structure and definitions, how could the original literal meaning have been encapsulated in the modern version of the English language bible (let alone the bibles that have been translated from English to other more obscure languages)? Even the most subtle nuances could completely change the meaning. Anyone who has studied a language, even their own, would realise this.

Also, if you are an english-speaking literalist and do take everything the bible says word for word as true, would it be a good idea to at least learn Greek and/or Hebrew so you can read the original versions, as they were written? Has anyone done this?
Okay fair enough question To answer that let's point this question back at you to simply answer your own question. Books written in English or any other language outside Chinese, how would you trust the translator to have accurately rendered the meaning as originally purposed How could you trust the translator of that literary work to be who and what they say they are ???

Would it be necessary to even think twice about an investigation of the translator to make sure their credentials were up to scratch for you to believe the philosophical, scientific, political commentary, or any other book of interest to you Would you really need to go to a university to learn those languages, so that your faith and confidence in the book could be believed before you read it

Of course not. But in view of the many religions claiming it as belief and final authority and all of them with widely diverse opinions and doctrine, it would seem your question is a legitimate one. I don't have time for the moment, but here is a very neutral website dealing with collecting various Bibles and questions about translators. Again I have always found much of their articles very neutral, studious and I suppose scholarly within themselves.

The International Society of Bible Collectors - Home

Old 03-07-2009, 01:50 AM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
You can't . . . Final Answer!!!

Old 03-07-2009, 02:03 AM

777 posts, read 1,440,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkgal View Post

No, I haven't learned Greek and Hebrew to any extent, but I have a concordance and I try to be aware of the cultures of the day.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
No, I haven't learned Greek and Hebrew to any extent, but I have a concordance and I try to be aware of the cultures of the day.
Agreed.

It does'nt take an intellectual genius to look up Biblical words in Hebrew and Greek Lexicons and meanings of words in Bible Dictionaries.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You can't . . . Final Answer!!!
Well this has certainly been the attitude and course throughout history, hence, just take a long hard look at the world we've all inherited after centuries of not believing/following it's contents.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:59 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,517,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
...like promoting slavery and abusing women and...

it's not actively done as promotion, but tacitly condoned ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality