Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 03:06 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,051 times

Advertisements

Do u read a verse, look it up in the concordance? Or do u read a chapter a day? I am reading a chapter at a time! Not sure if I am getting the full understanding though. Is it helpful to buy study guide materials? I don't have a group to bible study with, as of yet and want to do this on my own.

There are so many bibles out there, everyone has a different kind, aren't you afraid you are getting fed the wrong thing? KJV, NIV, NLT,.....on and on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM

679 posts, read 1,439,679 times
Objectively

Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
I have studied the Bible a variety of different ways over the years. Not systematically at all. Which is probably not a good thing actually....but that's me!

I don't think there's anything wrong with any of the versions per se. I think the different versions are helpful for different purposes. It is my understanding that the New American Standard Version is most literal, closest to the original manuscripts. Others say the King James Version is. Personally, for Bible study, I use New American Standard almost exclusively because of its reputation for accuracy and its readability. I also like the New International Version for its readability but it is not as accurate to the original text as NASB.

Some versions like The Message and The Living Bible are actually paraphrases of the Bible. They have their place too IMO.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 AM

74 posts, read 369,803 times
This web site has several good reading plans: Welcome to Bible-Reading.com!

This year, I have been trying to read through the entire Bible for the first time, and have really been enjoying it. In the past I would just flip around and read certain books, but decided this year I would try something different.

As far as translations go, I used to read the NIV and liked it pretty well. I recently purchased The Message, and I LOVE it! I highly recommend it, since it is so easy to read.

In addition, it sometimes is helpful to purchase study guides. They usually help you understand a little more and also ask you questions that make you look deeper into what you are reading. Just check out your local Christian book store and someone there should be able to help you find what you're looking for. You can typically purchase study guides for a specific book in the Bible or a topic.

Happy reading!

Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
For me there is a difference between reading and studying. I read it every day, but must confess have not studied it as much as I should recently.

My "reading" habits vary from picking a particular book or books to read through, to reading random verses. I read best when I'm able to pray before hand, to open myself to the HOLY SPIRIT's illumination.

My "studing" habits include carefully and methodically reading specific chapters or verses within the context of the whole book using several different bibles, of different translations, a commentary and a concordannce.
Then talking to other Christians I respect, and of course praying for the HOLY SPIRIT's illumination.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:52 PM

It's a funny thing though. The more I study, the more I understand how little I understand.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:49 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,110 times
You might want to try a book my mother has found helpful it's called
"Through the Bible in One Year," by Dr. Alan B. Stringfellow. It is a 52 lesson, introduction to the 66 books of the bible. It takes each book of the bible chapter by chapter. My parents gave the book as a gift to another family member. That family mamber liked it so much that my mother got a copy for herself.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliblu View Post
You might want to try a book my mother has found helpful it's called
"Through the Bible in One Year," by Dr. Alan B. Stringfellow. It is a 52 lesson, introduction to the 66 books of the bible. It takes each book of the bible chapter by chapter. My parents gave the book as a gift to another family member. That family mamber liked it so much that my mother got a copy for herself.

It's not my mind or reading habits that need improvement, ( well sort of )
It's that the more I read, the more I realize how little my mind matters.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
I study the bible with prayer before, during and after..Works good for me I learn new things each time..

Old 03-26-2009, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 9,819 times
you can watch a very good teacher on thesheperdschapel.com that teaches chapter by chapter verse by verse and explains it all very clearly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality