Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 07:11 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,918 times

Advertisements

Hi all- I was looking into possibly returning to church, preferabley in a non-judgemental, or non-denom setting, and I figured in Tulsa, I should have plenty to choose from. I chose to look at one that also had a 1300 student "Christian" High School with an alum playing in the NBA, so I went to their website to check it all out. While there I saw a BOOK WARNING: "Conversations With God" I clicked the link and it was a not from the church/school telling parents that this book is out there and it is DEVASTATING. It mentions some quotes from the book that say the God tells the books author that" People judge, and it is wrong,judge not lest ye be judged", and another quote of God telling a girl living with her boyfriend, both unmarried that there is no forgiveness needed, for they have done nothing wrong".
The school was alarmed at these quotes and warns parents these books are the false doctrine of the devil, and parents need to monitor their kids TV, movies, books, music and internet, and to spread this warning to other parents and relatives
What is this church afraid of, and why do they feel the need to shelter and keep other possible points of view from people? Is it because they feel their brainwashing is being threatened? what a turn off When it comes to close-mindedness, nothing beats today;s Christians, most of whom are about as un-Christlike as you can get. How sad
Flame away, because I'm sure this will ruffle a few feathers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,992,704 times
With your perspective, you might consider All Souls United Unitarian Church in Tulsa. It is now the home (last I heard) of Carlton Pearson. Tulsa World

But yes, too many churches preach fear and rely on fear of hell rather than the joy of Jesus to sustain their membership.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:50 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,918 times
THanks GP I'll look them up

Old 03-01-2009, 09:33 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,714,087 times
"Conversations with God" changed my life. I tested every idea I could in there against the marrow of the real world and it has all proven to be correct.

Really launched an extraordinary spiritual journey to enlightenment that has since moved far beyond any book.

People fear what they do not understand. If you ever read the works of philosopher Ken Wilber, he covers it pretty thoroughly. These people are simply operating on a lower level of consciousness and therefore construct mythological / rational worldviews to reflect that. Anything that seeks to loosen the grip of that consciousness is met with "warnings" and errant use of the word "DEVASTATING".

In reality, what they're objecting to is one of many paths to the Christ consciousness and the awakening to pure love. It essentially is the maturing of the human being from needing a "stern father figure" telling them what to do. So, move on from them. You don't need to be burdened by that ignorance.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:08 PM

7,596 posts, read 6,094,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
"Conversations with God" changed my life. I tested every idea I could in there against the marrow of the real world and it has all proven to be correct.

Really launched an extraordinary spiritual journey to enlightenment that has since moved far beyond any book.

People fear what they do not understand. If you ever read the works of philosopher Ken Wilber, he covers it pretty thoroughly. These people are simply operating on a lower level of consciousness and therefore construct mythological / rational worldviews to reflect that. Anything that seeks to loosen the grip of that consciousness is met with "warnings" and errant use of the word "DEVASTATING".

In reality, what they're objecting to is one of many paths to the Christ consciousness and the awakening to pure love. It essentially is the maturing of the human being from needing a "stern father figure" telling them what to do. So, move on from them. You don't need to be burdened by that ignorance.
That is a good point Blue Fly, people will fear anything they don't understand, which we see in all religions, especially Christianity.
While you mention different paths to Christ-Consciousness, and though I am more or less a deist, I have no problem with the concept behind that, I would add to what you said that the reason a church or religion would not want someone to follow a different path to get there is simply because it does not put dollars in the offering plate and pay the clergy's salary. A church makes money by maintaining fear and isolation of the flock; if people were to strike out on their own, not only might they find the errors of their religious teachings (As I have done) and not return, so that behavior has to be discouraged.... But even worse, they'd keep their wallets closed. And THAT would be a shame ......
BTW I have not read Conversations with God ... I am re-reading Ulysses right now I will look that one up later

Old 03-02-2009, 02:35 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,149,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Hi all- I was looking into possibly returning to church, preferabley in a non-judgemental, or non-denom setting, and I figured in Tulsa, I should have plenty to choose from. I chose to look at one that also had a 1300 student "Christian" High School with an alum playing in the NBA, so I went to their website to check it all out. While there I saw a BOOK WARNING: "Conversations With God" I clicked the link and it was a not from the church/school telling parents that this book is out there and it is DEVASTATING. It mentions some quotes from the book that say the God tells the books author that" People judge, and it is wrong,judge not lest ye be judged", and another quote of God telling a girl living with her boyfriend, both unmarried that there is no forgiveness needed, for they have done nothing wrong".
The school was alarmed at these quotes and warns parents these books are the false doctrine of the devil, and parents need to monitor their kids TV, movies, books, music and internet, and to spread this warning to other parents and relatives
What is this church afraid of, and why do they feel the need to shelter and keep other possible points of view from people? Is it because they feel their brainwashing is being threatened? what a turn off When it comes to close-mindedness, nothing beats today;s Christians, most of whom are about as un-Christlike as you can get. How sad
When the churches lose people, they lose out on the money that those same people won't be dishing out to them. So they brainwash through fear and the best way is to start with the children first.
But you seem to be on the right track, by looking for an open minded church and asking others where one may be. Good luck and I hope the best for you on your true search.
Go ahead and ruffle a few feathers, its you life, not thiers, your an adult you have the right to think and feel the way you want too.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
That is a good point Blue Fly, people will fear anything they don't understand, which we see in all religions, especially Christianity.
While you mention different paths to Christ-Consciousness, and though I am more or less a deist, I have no problem with the concept behind that, I would add to what you said that the reason a church or religion would not want someone to follow a different path to get there is simply because it does not put dollars in the offering plate and pay the clergy's salary. A church makes money by maintaining fear and isolation of the flock; if people were to strike out on their own, not only might they find the errors of their religious teachings (As I have done) and not return, so that behavior has to be discouraged.... But even worse, they'd keep their wallets closed. And THAT would be a shame ......
BTW I have not read Conversations with God ... I am re-reading Ulysses right now I will look that one up later
I think someone would do very well for themselves who could help churches restructure themselves so that they don't need to control peoples' journey for fear of losing them to other beliefs, but rather simply be a resource for people - no matter where their journey might take them.

Words are very limiting, so understand that when I use the phrase "Christ consciousness" it is merely a tool to relate to a western Judeo-Christian worldview. Obviously, the wisdom transcends all religious and scientific pursuits and is accessible in just as many ways.

For what I have discovered, the rule's simple: test the ideas against any other ideas you want. See which one works better and brings you closer to your highest self. No need to fear that people will find another way. Their highest interest lies in working toward this unity, whether they realize it or not.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:30 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,359,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
That church and religion in most cases are afraid of knowledge and any view which causes a person to think.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,839,176 times
Actually Churches should want their congrigations following God way, which is in the Bible instead of the worlds way, which tries to pull you further from God.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Well, if you think about it, the world's way is to say that God's way is the Bible. That's what we are constantly told by proselityzers and churches.

Perhaps churches should want their congregations (spelling) to follow God's way, which can only be found within oneself. Churches should support that journey, not force people to adhere to some structured ideology.

I know this is hard for you, robind69, but you can't just claim you have all the answers. If you did, your way would have worked at some point somewhere in the world over the past 2,000 years.

It hasn't. It forced a revolution to found a new nation free of the tyranny created in Europe by the book you claim is God's way.

Simply be open to the possibility that God's way goes far deeper than you have yet experienced. I have experienced glimpses it. It is extraordinary beyond words and is pure Love. Just learn to trust your inner self.

There's a reason religion condemns those who do trust their inner selves - they know that such people realize God is within them. That undermines religion. They need customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality