Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
 
1,115 posts, read 3,127,488 times
Reputation: 602

Advertisements

Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

The religions of the sword, gun and bullet.

The religions of murder, death and violent takeover.

 
Old 04-01-2009, 07:10 PM
 
1,788 posts, read 4,743,688 times
Reputation: 1252
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

The religions of the sword, gun and bullet.

The religions of murder, death and violent takeover.
Yeah. What's your point?
 
Old 04-01-2009, 07:19 PM
 
1,115 posts, read 3,127,488 times
Reputation: 602
I'm just curious about what everyone thinks of this idea.

I wonder what Christians think of thier bloody past.

I wonder how they rationalize this in regards to their religious beliefs without being taken aback and saying to themselves "Whoa, this is really messed up!."

I wonder if some Christians out there are unaware of exactly how bloody thier past is. How much murder, sadism, torture, harassment and pain has been done by Christians.

I wonder how a person can continue to believe in Christian teachings, in spite of knowing the full extent of the religion's history.

Just starting a general discussion on the topic.......
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,049 posts, read 34,497,177 times
Reputation: 10610
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Just starting a general discussion on the topic.......
No, a "discussion" doesn't seem to be what you had in mind. You went pretty far out of your way to instigate, is more like it.
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,012 posts, read 29,630,510 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

The religions of the sword, gun and bullet.

The religions of murder, death and violent takeover.
I hope you aren't a teenager.
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
 
6,351 posts, read 9,952,911 times
Reputation: 3490
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
Christianity, Islam and Judaism.

The religions of the sword, gun and bullet.

The religions of murder, death and violent takeover.

Not necessarily...find me one example of the Gnostics, the Cathars, the Manicheanist or the Mandaens massacring anyone or forcing anyone to convert.

You cannot, because no such examples exist (I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find any)
 
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Wherever women are
19,012 posts, read 29,630,510 times
Reputation: 11309
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
Not necessarily...find me one example of the Gnostics, the Cathars, the Manicheanist or the Mandaens massacring anyone or forcing anyone to convert.

You cannot, because no such examples exist (I looked and looked and looked and couldn't find any)
VP, why are you going off the script?

Thought you'd agree with Funky here
 
Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 PM
 
1,115 posts, read 3,127,488 times
Reputation: 602
Well. It's a fact that in order for Christianity to get to where it is today. Hundreds of thousands, or even millions of people were killed.

It's a fact that in many Christian communities, people were burned alive for being non-believers.

It's a fact that Christians slaughtered many European pagans, Mayan and Native American shamans, and many others, simply for having "primitive religions."

There are many other such things that are pure FACTS.

Do not act like i'm crazy for bringing this up. You know it's the truth.

It is a very legitamite issue. I feel like many people these days deny it or choose to not think about it. And i'm sure the Christians of this forum will probably choose not to discuss this.
 
Old 04-01-2009, 11:18 PM
 
1,115 posts, read 3,127,488 times
Reputation: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
No, a "discussion" doesn't seem to be what you had in mind. You went pretty far out of your way to instigate, is more like it.
My own personal opinion is that Jesus Christ brought a message of love and peace to the world. And then it got very, very ugly because many ignorant people drastically misinterpretted his teachings and they let their egos go unchecked.

Nowadays, Christianity is making strides towards becoming more spiritual and peaceful once again. And I can see some improvment. But I think that a lot of the ugliness and ignorance of the past lingers.

I think that there are very few people out there who really have Jesus' teachings in a proper perspective. I would guess that less then 5% of American Christians really follow it, understand it in depth, and see beyond the misinterpretations that many people have of it.

This is just my opinion. I never said that I am unbiased. But why should that scare anyone else from expressing their opinion? The reason why I started this thread was to see what the other side thinks.
 
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 AM
 
Location: egypt
1,216 posts, read 2,259,360 times
Reputation: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
My own personal opinion is that Jesus Christ brought a message of love and peace to the world. And then it got very, very ugly because many ignorant people drastically misinterpretted his teachings and they let their egos go unchecked.

Nowadays, Christianity is making strides towards becoming more spiritual and peaceful once again. And I can see some improvment. But I think that a lot of the ugliness and ignorance of the past lingers.

I think that there are very few people out there who really have Jesus' teachings in a proper perspective. I would guess that less then 5% of American Christians really follow it, understand it in depth, and see beyond the misinterpretations that many people have of it.

This is just my opinion. I never said that I am unbiased. But why should that scare anyone else from expressing their opinion? The reason why I started this thread was to see what the other side thinks.
i think that you used the worng words
you said the these religions are religion of sword , you didn't say that followeres of religion used violence

now you say that your personal opinion is that Jesus Christ brought a message of love and peace to the world , which contradict your statment " religion of violence"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top