Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 04:47 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times

Advertisements

I realize that this is a political issue but I'd like to hear some Christians express themselves about Obama's attempt to begin a dialogue with moderate Muslims from a religious perspective. Here's a link:
Personally I think this strategy is long overdue. There are probably hundreds of millions of moderate Muslims whose image of America, the west and Christians has been distorted by their media's portrayal of us and by their own culture. I'm sure that the politics forum will end up with a thread on this subject but I'd like to look at it in terms of religion instead of emphasizing the political aspects of it. First of all, do you feel that Christians should publicly express their respect for another major religion and those who follow it's teachings peacefully? Of course I'm not a Christian and can't pretend to speak for them but in the interests of world peace and mankind as a whole it seems to make alot of sense. Muslims really don't understand western Christian culture and what they saw in the actions of our last Christian President, George Bush, caused millions of them to hate us. I feel very strongly that we need to establish some good relations between Christians and Muslims in this world and we need to recognize that we have to coexist with each other. Christians also misunderstand Muslims so there's alot to be gained from trying to promote a feeling of cooperation and mutual support between Muslim and Christian nations. The breeding grounds for future terrorists have been perpetuated by actions on both sides and a change is needed. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:26 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
no different than what bush and clinton did.

only difference is that obama's hype has made him a rockstar.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:06 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,304,329 times
Christians are suppose to reach out to everybody, Christ would. So, I don't see a problem. I've never had a problem with someone who is Muslim, and I actually have a friend who is Muslim.

But I must say that I do have a problem with Muslims who kill in the name of Allah, who are terrorist. I also have a problem with the Jihads, and Taliban and people who follow Bin Laden. I see what they are doing is very dangerous. They are killing there own people and I would never want anything to do with them, especially suicide bombers.

But I don't associate all Muslims with the Jihads and Talibans just because they are nuts who want to blow themselves up. Every religion has some people who have a few screws loose who are hurting more than they are helping.

Now when it comes down to peaceful Muslims, I don't have a problem with them and have a friend who is Muslim who I love. But I never want to have any association with Jihads or Talibans or people who are like that, because if they kill themself then they want care to kill someone like us.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 04-08-2009 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 07:56 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I realize that this is a political issue but I'd like to hear some Christians express themselves about Obama's attempt to begin a dialogue with moderate Muslims from a religious perspective. Here's a link:

Personally I think this strategy is long overdue. There are probably hundreds of millions of moderate Muslims whose image of America, the west and Christians has been distorted by their media's portrayal of us and by their own culture. I'm sure that the politics forum will end up with a thread on this subject but I'd like to look at it in terms of religion instead of emphasizing the political aspects of it. First of all, do you feel that Christians should publicly express their respect for another major religion and those who follow it's teachings peacefully? Of course I'm not a Christian and can't pretend to speak for them but in the interests of world peace and mankind as a whole it seems to make alot of sense. Muslims really don't understand western Christian culture and what they saw in the actions of our last Christian President, George Bush, caused millions of them to hate us. I feel very strongly that we need to establish some good relations between Christians and Muslims in this world and we need to recognize that we have to coexist with each other. Christians also misunderstand Muslims so there's alot to be gained from trying to promote a feeling of cooperation and mutual support between Muslim and Christian nations. The breeding grounds for future terrorists have been perpetuated by actions on both sides and a change is needed. Any thoughts?

I'm all for a dialogue, with the purpose of creating peaceful and respectful coexistence. Regardless of the participants

Old 04-08-2009, 08:58 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I'm all for a dialogue, with the purpose of creating peaceful and respectful coexistence. Regardless of the participants
Well said. We can hope both sides have more people like you.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:36 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
The world would be a far better place if we could concentrate on what we all have in common, as opposed to what is different. There would be a lot more in common than we might initially believe.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:48 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,126,062 times
Sure. Muslims should reach out to Christians. Christians should reach out to Muslims.

In a spirit of equality. With NO expectation of "converting" either side. And both with respect to each others beliefs.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:45 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,626,210 times
Astron1000 wrote:
Quote:
Sure. Muslims should reach out to Christians. Christians should reach out to Muslims.

In a spirit of equality. With NO expectation of "converting" either side. And both with respect to each others beliefs.
Exactly. I feel that if we could have as much positive contact between our cultures as possible that it might reduce the numbers of people who are drawn into the extremists groups that support terrorism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality