Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:19 PM

321 posts, read 920,638 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but here it is. I've been scanning the employment ads for a niece of mine and came across an ad that reads like this:

...........seeks friendly and organized Christian to fill office assistant position, must be willing to learn, multi task, and have good people, computer and writing skills. If that is you please stop by and fill out an application at.........

This ad is for a local Christian school for mid-high school. Is asking for a Christian specifically discrimination? How does one prove they are Christian? I understand the possible want for a Christian to be behind the desk to further promote the religion but...... I don't know - my niece would be great for this job but she's not Christian. I tend to lean towards it being discriminatory because if the ad instead said organized Athiest or black person or whatever there would be an outcry. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:43 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktully View Post
Not sure if this is the right place to put this but here it is. I've been scanning the employment ads for a niece of mine and came across an ad that reads like this:

...........seeks friendly and organized Christian to fill office assistant position, must be willing to learn, multi task, and have good people, computer and writing skills. If that is you please stop by and fill out an application at.........

This ad is for a local Christian school for mid-high school. Is asking for a Christian specifically discrimination? How does one prove they are Christian? I understand the possible want for a Christian to be behind the desk to further promote the religion but...... I don't know - my niece would be great for this job but she's not Christian. I tend to lean towards it being discriminatory because if the ad instead said organized Athiest or black person or whatever there would be an outcry. Thoughts?
I think it wouldn't be much different if American Atheists didn't want a Christian running their front desk.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:18 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
When my sister became a teacher at a religious school she had to prepare some sort of statement that defined her religious beliefs. I guess I can understand it if it's a teacher who is supposed to be teaching and throwing in a little religion at the same time but the ad for someone working in the office seems very different and I don't see why being a Christian would have to be a requirement.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:41 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:

I don't see this as a form of discrimination. Could you see an Atheist working at a Christian owned business, or a Christian working at an Atheist owned business. I personally don't see a problem with it, but their are people who prefer to only hire in their religion or faith.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:48 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
The question is not whether this is discrimination: it is.
The question is whether you want to fight it. You could make a case, maybe hire a lawyer...sound worth it?

Old 04-08-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
I don't see this as a form of discrimination. Could you see an Atheist working at a Christian owned business, or a Christian working at an Atheist owned business. I personally don't see a problem with it, but their are people who prefer to only hire in their religion or faith.
I personally don't see what my religious or non religious affiliation has to do with performing my job. What I do off the job is my business. I'm an athiest and worked for a wonderful Morman man for many years - one of the greatest jobs and employers I ever had. Shouldn't make a difference.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:13 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,503,085 times
Under Title VII, religious organizations are permitted to give employment preference to members of their own religion. The exception applies only to those institutions whose “purpose and character are primarily religious.”That determination is to be based on “[a]ll significant religious and secular characteristics.”
This exception is not limited to religious activities of the organization. However, it only allows religious organizations to prefer to employ individuals who share their religion.The exception does not allow religious organizations otherwise to discriminate in employment on protected bases other than religion, such as race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. Thus, a religious organization is not permitted to engage in racially discriminatory hiring by asserting that a tenet of its religious beliefs is not associating with people of other races. Similarly, a religious organization is not permitted to deny fringe benefits to married women but not to married men by asserting a religiously based view that only men can be the head of a household.

Check this link out for more info:

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/reli...#_Toc203359493

Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
I personally don't see what my religious or non religious affiliation has to do with performing my job. What I do off the job is my business. I'm an athiest and worked for a wonderful Morman man for many years - one of the greatest jobs and employers I ever had. Shouldn't make a difference.
But people still have the right to who they want working for them. That is their right, because they are the one paying the money.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM

89 posts, read 247,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
I think it wouldn't be much different if American Atheists didn't want a Christian running their front desk.
You're right--both are equally wrong.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_2828 View Post
But people still have the right to who they want working for them. That is their right, because they are the one paying the money.
Of course they do, discrimination happens everyday - it's just not normally published in the paper like this ad is. People are not hired for a job for all kinds of reasons that can't be told to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality