Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:20 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times

Advertisements

In the last few hundred years, when the Europeans (mostly christians) started to explore the world, they got this calender with them and it stuck. Following the BC/AD system is related to convention alone and not an acknowledgement of the "success" of any religion. Else we would be believing something stupid like history extends out to 6000 years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 08:28 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
In the last few hundred years, when the Europeans (mostly christians) started to explore the world, they got this calender with them and it stuck. Following the BC/AD system is related to convention alone and not an acknowledgement of the "success" of any religion. Else we would be believing something stupid like history extends out to 6000 years!
Umm.... let me think, who patronized those explorations?

Anti-anti-christian intellectuals in the Unholy Roman Empire, Crazy Conquistadorian Spain, Unanglican Britain and disliberal Europe.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
Umm.... let me think, who patronized those explorations?

Anti-anti-christian intellectuals in the Unholy Roman Empire, Crazy Conquistadorian Spain, Unanglican Britain and disliberal Europe.

Who cares - BC/AD is a convention thing - let us not read too much into it else we will go back to a 6000 year history since the big bang.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Who cares - BC/AD is a convention thing - let us not read too much into it else we will go back to a 6000 year history since the big bang.
You obviously do, why else would you even bother to post

Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post
You obviously do, why else would you even bother to post
I posted because it is always nice to put some sense in BS echo-chamber threads like these. Why did you post - apparently since the world uses AC?DC, christers have won - go home and rejoice the last 6000 years -this will not last beyond 2012.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:08 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Is the Julian calendar the same as the Gregorian calendar?

That's exactly the types of responses I wanted to hear.

Keep the perspectives coming.
We actually use the Gregorian calendar, rather than the Julian, but they are essentially the same. Same names for the days and months, same number of each and same year in both, just a different day. Back in the 1500s, one of the Pope Gregorys adjusted the calendar to get it back in line with the seasons. As a result, we moved about 10 days forward and redid the "leap" system to account for leap minutes and leap seconds.

A few places still use the Julian calendar, which would put today as approximately March 29th, 2009 (13 days difference)

As for myself, I don't care which system we use, or what it is based on, since its totally arbitrary anyway. Even the Christians don't really know what year their figurehead was supposedly born. They picked a year and went with it. I would love to see a global form of reckoning for everyone, but what would you base it on? As another poster said, the entire history of the planet might be too many digits to write on a check.

I know, lets base the new calendar starting with year 0 as the year Star Trek was first aired. Its just as arbitrary as any other system we have.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:13 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
I posted because it is always nice to put some sense in BS echo-chamber threads like these. Why did you post - apparently since the world uses AC?DC, christers have won - go home and rejoice the last 6000 years -this will not last beyond 2012.
AC/DC ...

Now there is a dating system I can get into. Lets see, the band was formed in 1973, so that makes today April 10th, 36.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
AC/DC ...

Now there is a dating system I can get into. Lets see, the band was formed in 1973, so that makes today April 10th, 36.
...see, sometimes brain farts can lead to great ideas. BTW, I hate Ac/Dc - dont know why I typed that group in!

Old 04-10-2009, 09:19 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,018,586 times
I doubt that our primal ancestors or cave men cared what day or year it was...they knew "yesterday" and "tomorrow"...so the idea of a calendar must have come along when our brains began to develop a sense of "when?". And also with the written word or mark. With or without Jesus or any other religion, it would have happened because "modern" man needs to keep track of time. And not always for good reasons

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 AM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
THis is going to be very interesting!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality