Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:34 PM

783 posts, read 1,322,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
How is it problematic?

I know that the scriptures don't teach this.
Do you believe that the Bible is God’s revealed word to mankind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,126,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt & Light View Post
Do you believe that the Bible is God’s revealed word to mankind?
Oh geez, here we go again.......

Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Oh geez, here we go again.......
Not unless you want to.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:45 PM

I will ask again. How is it problematic to believe in the God within yourself? Or to view yourself as a deity, or part of a deity? Anyone?

Is there anything more to this than "da Bible sayz so"? Or is that the extent of it?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I will ask again. How is it problematic to believe in the God within yourself? Or to view yourself as a deity, or part of a deity? Anyone?

Is there anything more to this than "da Bible sayz so"? Or is that the extent of it?
The Scriptures are clear on the subject relating to who God is and that we are His creation. In other words we can cite a multitude of Scriptures that support the fact that we are not God nor do we become gods. However, you seem to be frustrated that I would use the Bible to illustrate what God teaches.

Maybe it would help if you would cite something that supports your view. Because, after all, the only thing you have offered so far is “because I say so”.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:00 PM

Quote:
The Scriptures are clear on the subject relating to who God is and that we are His creation. In other words we can cite a multitude of Scriptures that support the fact that we are not God nor do we become gods. However, you seem to be frustrated that I would use the Bible to illustrate what God teaches.

Maybe it would help if you would cite something that supports your view. Because, after all, the only thing you have offered so far is “because I say so”.
Many religions claim that God is within ourselves. Hinduism, Buddhism, Paganism, Native American Shamanism, Rastafari, etc.

Even many Christians will say that God is within us and things like that.

My views come from being open-minded and educated to EVERY religion and philosophy. As well as personal experience.

You seem to be laser-focused on Christianity for you beliefs. Try exploring some other ones maybe?

Old 04-09-2009, 11:30 PM

Is a “laser-focus” a bad thing when referring to God? I don’t believe that God would consider a “laser-focus” as a detriment.

I’m familiar with what many other religions believe. I did not come to faith in God without exploring.

You say that you are “open-minded and educated”. Have you found the truth? Or, do you believe that people formulate their own truth to please the individual? Help me understand what you base your beliefs on. What is your foundation?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Is a “laser-focus” a bad thing when referring to God? I don’t believe that God would consider a “laser-focus” as a detriment.

I’m familiar with what many other religions believe. I did not come to faith in God without exploring.

You say that you are “open-minded and educated”. Have you found the truth? Or, do you believe that people formulate their own truth to please the individual? Help me understand what you base your beliefs on. What is your foundation?
I believe in paradoxes. I think that to a large extent, we each create our own reality. We have tremendous power over our own perception, and our perception in turn determines what we experience in cyclical fashion.

I also believe that there are, at the same time, some universal truths that trancends our own power

You ask me "Have you found the truth?" Well the truth is different for everyone and I think this is obvious.

You think that you have found the truth in the Bible, but that's not my truth.
For many, many people in this world, the Bible s not their truth.

I think that I have found truths in other systems. I have found truths by comparing all religions and finding commonalities. But to most Christians, this is not the truth.

So, the truth is not fixed, it is fluid.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:01 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,690,396 times
I think we're just another lifeform on this planet that have advanced brains that make us think we are better than everything else and have a right to do whatever we want. Our advanced brains also make it possible to dream up all these things and to believe it and justify our actions. Doesn't make any of it true though.

We live and die and are forgotten about like anything else.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:03 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,001,440 times
We are all a part of God, so we are letting God experience this life. Since He is within us, we are glorified. Not to be worshipped but glorified. We can become LIKE God instead of remaining in His image if we seek it. Most people don't know what it is that makes us like God. Jesus taught it but it was not related correctly in the bible.
When you pray for, and receive Divine Love, you change your soul from the image to the likeness. We will never be God but we can become like Him. This same Love can and does eradicate sin and the tendencies to sin. And you can do that right here on earth instead of waiting until you get to the spirit world. I have experienced this Love and it does work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality